Gransnet forums

Chat

What's the scariest thing you've done?

(116 Posts)
Heirofthedog Thu 28-Apr-16 15:51:43

A few years ago my aunt did a hot air balloon ride for her 80th birthday. She absolutely loved it and only regretted not doing it earlier. I think the scariest thing I've ever done is stand up to my boss when they were harassing me. Or when I was left alone with my new grandchild for the first time terrified I was going to break him. Clearly I need to be more adventurous - is it too late do you think?

Cherrytree59 Thu 28-Apr-16 18:57:49

In the delivery room. When my first Gc was born.
As my grandson was delivered the midwife pulled the emergecy cord and with in seconds the room was full of doctors and nurses.
My back was pressed up against the wall as I was trying not to get in the way.
I have never been so scared in all my life.
The emergency was that the cord was round my darling grandsons neck
All was ok in the end
But even now thinking of it makes me shiver!

Maggymay Thu 28-Apr-16 19:00:25

Learning to drive at the age of 52,after lots and lots of lessons and several attempts at the test I eventually passed after learning for a year.

NanaandGrampy Thu 28-Apr-16 19:09:04

Arriving in Northern Ireland in 1974 in the military and being shot at with 20 minutes of arrival ! I was armed with a truncheon , and wearing a skirt , tights and court shoes as women were not allowed to wear combats !!

Alima Thu 28-Apr-16 20:36:24

Respect, NannaandGrampy, all I did in the Wrens in the '70s was drink a lot and have a very good time!

Alima Thu 28-Apr-16 20:45:21

I do not do scary things as a rule as they are too scary. Bit of a wimp really, fairground rides to high and fast, driving altogether too scary. There is one time in my life when I was really frightened. We found out that DD2 was married to a controlling, bullying and violent bar steward. Before she left him I was so frightened of what could happen to her and DGS. They are safe now.

Coolgran65 Thu 28-Apr-16 20:48:25

NanaandGrampy my appreciation to you.
I worked in Belfast city centre during those times and am aware of some of the situations that arose.

On the same theme, scary was going from one side of the city (home) to the other side of the city, to pick up my ds outside the students union at 2am when I had to make all sorts of circuitous routes to avoid barricades, burning cars, and impromptu "where are you going" car stops by guys in balaclavas.

Newquay Thu 28-Apr-16 23:36:06

Gosh I'm so glad I live a boring life. . . . .

TwiceAsNice Fri 29-Apr-16 06:40:22

Thanks Wot he certainly was! Should have done it years before. I'm not scared of much now

Antjexix Fri 29-Apr-16 06:52:24

Changing my job and becoming a carer. I started of as a mobile carer and after 1 week training( shocking,I know) I was left on my own to visit clients. The responsibility terrified me, but I learned on the job and have now been doing it for over 3 years. I now work in a care home and love my job with a passion.

pompa Fri 29-Apr-16 07:44:20

Saying that I thought ladies bums looked good in jeans on GN. Still scares me today smile

NanaandGrampy Fri 29-Apr-16 07:54:17

I'm a navy brat Alima so I know there was a lot more to being a wren {smile] but those girls do know how to party wink

Coolgran I remember those days all too well and know how scary that drive would have been . When you look back you realise I think how lucky you were on occasion x

MaryXYX Fri 29-Apr-16 11:46:03

My first abseil at age 65 was a bit scary, but for me there is only one really scary event. That was at age 63 when I told my employer I was no longer a graddad but was now a grandmom. This was in a Software Engineering company, very much a young man's job.

meandashy Fri 29-Apr-16 12:00:51

Having back surgery was very scary. I was alone & I sobbed that much on the ward before I went down that the nurses pulled the curtains around me & told me to be quiet because I was upsetting other people! When I got to the operating theatre they asked if I had I cold! I said 'no I've been crying '!! ?
I was present for the birth of my granddaughter & the cold was around her neck, very scary ?

GdnGuru246 Fri 29-Apr-16 12:11:53

Heavens - almost reached 65 (early May) and so many scary things -

First and probably most dangerous - desperate to get to the fireworks at Henley Regatta two friends and I thought we would hitch a lift - relatively short distance, five miles or so, safety in numbers we thought.... ha. In the car with some lads, think it was an old Humber with bench seats, the driver stopped en route in a quiet spot and told us we were getting out and going into the woods with them. It was a hairy moment which thankfully we talked ourselves out of and got home safely. My father was incandescent as you might imagine - grounded for a while, unsurprisingly, and never did get to see the fireworks.

Many years later in an attempt to escape a bullying ex husband I was in a relationship with a chap who lived in Barbados, a white Bajan who was in real estate, but it was only when I went over to stay with him for a week that I realised he had his own major problems and I would have been put in a gilded cage so that rapidly went nasty and I flew back to England.

Like others I am claustrophobic so having an MRI scan was terrifying too.

Calm and peaceful retirement now - probably!

inishowen Fri 29-Apr-16 12:19:49

I'm very shy so the scariest thing I've done is take a job as a mystery shopper. I had to go into banks and building societies and pretend I wanted a loan, or some other service. I was shaking in my boots, as it was important they never guessed I wasn't a real customer. In the end, I was sussed by one bank manager. I had a phone call from my boss complaining about this, and I decided there and then the job was not for me!

NonnaAnnie Fri 29-Apr-16 12:39:40

In our late 50s me, my hubby and three friends rode classic Lambretta and Vespa scooters across France into Switzerland over the Alps and down into Italy and back, it was the best and most amazing trip and also the scariest ever. So wish we could do it again but age and ill health has caught up with us and it is out of the question. But we have the memories.

grandmac Fri 29-Apr-16 13:14:55

wot Yes I have recently had a brain MRI (awaiting results) and it was horrible. That tiny head cage and then the all enveloping tube! On tele they have soft music playing and are able to talk to the radiographers but all I had was the horrendous noises of the machine! I began to feel I was the only person left in the world! Stupid I know. And we are lucky to have access to free diagnostic tests such as MRI so must stop complaining.
In my 20's I went alone to the middle east on a bus from Munich. Interesting journey in many ways!! blush
Then lived through a revolution with 2 small children, including a memorable car journey travelling behind a military truck that had men crouched in the firing position behind a machine gun pointing straight into our car. shock We were praying they didn't go over a bump!
Oh happy days!

wot Fri 29-Apr-16 13:26:45

I would do the brain MR I thing again if I had to BUT I would insist on a button I could press which would bring me out of the tunnel immediately! It's crazy to think that that was the worst thing about having one's skull opened! Which happened after the angiogram and MRI. Before these things, people weren't even aware that they were living with a timebomb, so should be grateful, I suppose.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 29-Apr-16 13:31:20

Well, I hope there are no Gransnetters awaiting a date for a brain scan after reading that post. hmm

Very sensitive I'm sure.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 29-Apr-16 13:31:35

(not you wot)

rafichagran Fri 29-Apr-16 13:50:55

Doing a parachute jump to conquer my fear of heights, done this alone and not a tandem.

mischief Fri 29-Apr-16 14:19:51

Sailing across the North Sea in a 32ft yatch. We got caught in a squall in very bad weather, the boat was whipped round 360degs and the wind and the rain was really harsh. I was absolutely petrified. Not a religious person but I had a few words with him upstairs that day.

Bijou Fri 29-Apr-16 14:23:46

Working in London during the Blitz.

hildajenniJ Fri 29-Apr-16 14:43:09

Petra, a similar thing happened to my DH and I on the Islay ferry early in the morning. The ferry seemed to turn right on to its side. There were only a few passengers, we were all terrified, even the crew looked worried.
I think that cycling home from a local beauty spot in a thunderstorm was the scariest thing I've done. I was about 13, and the lightning was flashing all around us.

wot Fri 29-Apr-16 15:09:28

Yes, Jings, I did wonder if it was wise to post about the scan. Sorry if it's scared anyone. It's only if you're claustrophobic it would bother anyone. The opened ended scans are no bother.