Gransnet forums

Chat

I've done it ... finally!!!

(50 Posts)
Thingmajig Wed 04-May-16 14:26:33

Today I'm almost bursting with happiness ... at the advanced age of 57 I actually passed my driving test this morning!

I tried at almost 40, failed my first test and gave up, so this time I came home from the 2 failed tests and re-booked right away, plus used a cancellation service to get quick re-tests. Mostly I'm ecstatic not to have to hear the Pink Panther theme tune (indicating texts from them) on my phone! grin

Just proves that nothing is impossible! smile

tiredoldwoman Fri 06-May-16 05:06:36

How inspiring - well done !! Gosh , I would never pass my driving test now - I shuffle about locally quite happily but big roundabouts, slipways and lanes throw me into panic ! You've got wings, Girl !

Teetime Fri 06-May-16 02:57:18

Jolly well done thingmajig its such a great skill to have and means you can be independent if you wish. Happy driving. flowers

jogginggirl Fri 06-May-16 00:55:38

Well done Thingmajig - wishing you many happy adventures ??? x x
ruby - fab news - freedom and choice at last ??? x x

rubylady Fri 06-May-16 00:43:51

Yes it is Synonymous, I keep forgetting I've got it. I am after some new living room furniture but like to source the unusual so was resting earlier when I realised I can go about now and look at different places like Botany Bay in Chorley where they have handmade furniture and cream teas! grin

Synonymous Wed 04-May-16 23:12:19

rubylady so glad to hear you are back on the road. The freedom is lovely isn't it! smile

Synonymous Wed 04-May-16 23:08:43

Well done Thingmajig ! flowers Now keep driving and don't stop!

granjura you are right because it happened a lot. My mother passed her test first time and then never drove again because my father never allowed her to drive 'his' car. angry

Jalima Wed 04-May-16 22:50:14

Congratulations and happy motoring! smile

rubylady Wed 04-May-16 22:44:50

Excellent news! You must feel so proud. Some great news today on GN.

I've just got a car through motobility and I had forgot how wonderful it it to have your own transport. Back on the road, brilliant. grin

Newquay Wed 04-May-16 22:27:46

Well done you? You'll find it SO useful. Be kind to yourself, just do lots and lots of little trips first on roads you're familiar with and, remember, it's dodgems out there so watch out for other drivers and try to avoid 'em! Lol! Enjoy.

rosesarered Wed 04-May-16 20:24:42

Well done * Thing* you can go zooming off places now!?

glassortwo Wed 04-May-16 20:14:40

Congratulations Thingmajig sunshine

baubles Wed 04-May-16 20:02:52

That's brilliant thingmajig congratulations. smile

granjura Wed 04-May-16 19:58:57

Thingmajig- great to hear that. In the UK a lot of my neighbours, especially older ones, had husbands who more or less did everything they could to put their wives off learning- so I am happy for you. Enjoy- and hopefully take it in turn with having a drink (as we do).

M0nica Wed 04-May-16 19:56:07

Well done! flowers

Judthepud2 Wed 04-May-16 19:41:00

Well done Thingmajig ! ?

Thingmajig Wed 04-May-16 19:04:32

Thanks for all the lovely comments everyone ... had a small cocktail (defrosted) from the freezer and we went out for a celebratory meal! DH had to drive (thus the cocktail for me) as my car insurance won't start till tomorrow. He is looking forward to being able to have a pint with his meals out now that I can drive us home. smile

Granjura, I grew up as a single parent so the cost for something I could easily manage without, was prohibitive. Nothing to do with a man at all! smile

grannyactivist Wed 04-May-16 18:47:48

? Beep - beep!!! Well done! smile

Crafting Wed 04-May-16 18:43:31

Congratulations. Good for you for persevering. smile

mollie Wed 04-May-16 18:01:53

Goodness, well done for not giving up! Now you have the freedom of the road. It really does make a huge difference. Congratulations.

chloe1984 Wed 04-May-16 17:31:03

Brilliant well done you

LullyDully Wed 04-May-16 17:09:16

Well.done....that's out of the way. It is life changing .one of the few tests taken with someone sitting next to you watching your every move. That and GBBO.

Julie57 Wed 04-May-16 17:07:17

Well done, I passed my test at 38 , never really wanted to drive but so glad I did it.

granjura Wed 04-May-16 16:59:39

Bravo- enjoy.

May I ask though- what stopped you learning earlier in life?

I found that many women were in fact discouraged from learning by the men in their lives. Hope that was not the case for you. Just wondering?

cornergran Wed 04-May-16 16:45:09

Well done - something to be proud of. I passed in my teens, the roads were so much quieter then and the test relatively straightforward. Huge achievement to pass with today's conditions - test and road-wise. Have fun smile

morethan2 Wed 04-May-16 16:43:31

Yes well done its one of the very best most memorable feelings. ???or ??