Gransnet forums

Chat

Trying to be clever with a memory like mine!

(45 Posts)
Greyduster Wed 11-May-16 15:04:13

Today, i had a wholesale panic on. I was cleaning our bedroom and I accidentally knocked a small ornamental box off DH's dressing table. I picked it up and the remembered it was the one which he usually puts his wedding ring in when he has to take it off from time to time because his knuckles swell due to what I think is the onset of arthritis, and it makes his finger uncomfortable. We turned the room inside out looking for it, but it was nowhere to be seen. I had every drawer emptied, moved the bed and the furniture thinking it may have bounced or rolled. Then I sat down and howled. And howled. 50 years this year and I go and lose his ring! A bit later after I had calmed down and had a big hug, I decided to empty the drawers in both dressing tables again, and I came across a box of hair removing strips, which I wasn't going to use again so I thought I'd throw them away - and they rattled. And there was DH's ring, in the bottom of the box. I can only think I must have put it in there last time we went away for a couple of days (God knows why) - and then forgotten about it! I have been very worried about my memory lately, but this took the biscuit - I don't even remember putting it in there! We also can't find any of the keys to the windows in the conservatory so I'm wondering if I've put them somewhere too? sad. Is it time to worry?

Greyduster Sat 14-May-16 10:50:01

It does make one wonder. I was cleaning the glass doors between our dining room and living room today. I went to open them and couldn't. They have a simple catch at the top of the door that just clicks into place so I knew they couldn't be locked. After tugging away like mad, I remembered that you don't tug, you push! We have only lived in this house five years, and I open or close them most days confused.

Falconbird Fri 13-May-16 08:27:18

These sort of happenings drive me up the wall. So far I have lost keys, photographs and clothes. They just seem to vanish into thin air.

Years ago I lost my engagement ring. It was missing for about 10 years and then I found it neatly placed on a shelf high above the sink. Just shows how often I cleaned that shelf. smile

If you're young you don't think too much about it, but as we get older we do worry about memory loss.

Lynnabelle Fri 13-May-16 07:51:26

I find I frequently go to the shop for something particular, come back with bags of shopping having forgotten the original item that I specifically went for . Very annoying. OH calls me "memory woman", although he's done need to talk!

Maggiemaybe Thu 12-May-16 19:07:40

NannaM, I love your story grin At least there were two people involved....

Maggiemaybe Thu 12-May-16 19:04:50

We got back from a family holiday in Norfolk last Autumn. Unloaded all our bags and belongings from DD2's car and I started searching through my bag for the front door key. Then through my case, DH's case, toilet bag, dirty washing bag, coat pockets, coat lining. Then again, and again, and again. Had to ring DS, also on his way home with a screaming baby and fractious toddler, to make a 10 mile detour and let us in. My keys, and coin purse, were sitting in a drawer in the Norfolk holiday cottage. I have no recollection of taking them out of my bag, and no idea why I would blush And we'd checked and double checked our room when we left.

Jalima Thu 12-May-16 18:51:28

We still haven't found DD's passport 16 years later .....

ninathenana Thu 12-May-16 18:13:39

anno D couldn't find her passport despite a massive search until a couple of weeks later she needed to use the printer. There was her passport in the scanner. It's not just us mature people grin

sluttygran Thu 12-May-16 17:16:17

I agree with lizzypopbottle - if you are aware that you have forgotten something, then you probably don't have a real memory problem. It is, however, wise to check with your GP if you are seriously concerned, as early medical intervention makes a huge difference in the treatment of failing memory/dementia.
I think we all have our 'senior moments' tho' - about ten years ago, I went through a phase of often putting my purse in the fridge after a grocery shopping trip. It was usually next to the cheese, which was helpful - I've heard of frozen assets, but this was a step too far!
Anyway, all these years later, I still seem to be in possession of my faculties, so I don't know what caused my lapse with the purse grin

Greyduster Thu 12-May-16 16:41:35

Now yogagran, that is a good idea!

lizzypopbottle Thu 12-May-16 16:29:46

Greyduster stop worrying about forgetting things. Everybody does it. Knowing you forget things is good news ? Being unaware that you forget things is not so good...

GandTea Thu 12-May-16 15:23:02

WE hide a door key in the garden, one turned up after a few years when we emptied a water butt, the other is still to be found.

Pamish Thu 12-May-16 14:31:04

My mum once hid her diamond engagement ring when they went away on holiday.

Of course when they got back, they'd not only forgotten the hiding place, but whether it had been hidden at all, was it just lost on holiday?

It was years later when it turned up in the bottom of the sugar jar.

NannaM Thu 12-May-16 14:24:03

A friend was coming to pick me up, and I was looking for my mobile. Couldn't find it, so I called it using my house phone. The mobile seemed to be ringing in the next room, so I followed the sound (which stopped after four rings and went to voicemail). Couldn't find the phone, rang it again. It still seemed to be ringing really close, I again went to the next room, ringtone stopped, frantic searching. Friend arrived. Now there were two of us......same dance (FIVE times!). Until she said "stand still!". Phone still ringing quite close.........because it was in the back pocket of my jeans! blush

yogagran Thu 12-May-16 14:10:17

Greyduster instead of writing a note of where you put things you could take a photo with your phone to help remember. I know of someone who takes a photo of the iron when she in plugs it as there's always a bit of doubt as to whether she's done it or not shock

sallyswin Thu 12-May-16 13:53:33

This morning I emptied a complete new packet of coffee into the coffeepot instead of into the storage tin. DH said he did the same last week!

annodomini Thu 12-May-16 13:14:00

I lost couldn't find my passport and my sister and I were planning to spend the coming weekend in Paris. Panicking, I got on a train to Liverpool and went to the Passport Office where the officials couldn't have been more helpful. We had an enjoyable weekend away and on my return - guess what? The passport was there, staring me in the face, in the very drawer where I'd searched for it. blush

GrandmaValerie Thu 12-May-16 12:21:43

I cost us over £500 a few years ago because DH having lost one set of the original car keys (which have never surfaced) I panicked when we went away and hid my original set right at the back of a deep cupboard shelf of tinned food. Totally forgot.

After agonised searching and hunting on return from holiday, as this then only left us with a copied set which itself couldn't be duplicated, and we didn't dare live on one set, we had the complete car locking system changed. Only for me to find my missing set of keys while diving to the back of the shelf for a tin of tomatoes. I have never been allowed to live this down - labelled a loser for life blush

pattie Thu 12-May-16 11:57:43

DN was just putting on his wedding ring when the door bell rang so he went to let someone in and we have never seen his ring from that day to this. He did not leave the flat. We emptied the bins moved all the furniture etc etc he is still hoping one day it will miraculously appear. Here's hoping.

Lilyflower Thu 12-May-16 10:49:11

Don't worry about it. One swallow does not a summer make nor one oversight the onset of the unmentionable. We all get a bit forgetful as we age. If you are fearful of losing other safe places have a notebook where you write down where you have stored things. I send myself e-mail reminders and cache them in a folder.

Juggernaut Thu 12-May-16 10:35:45

On holiday once I was going to pay for something with my credit card, but when I opened my purse the card was missing. I went into a flat spin of panic, rang the 'lost/stolen' card hotline, reported it, stopped it being used for any transactions, did all the right things. Then, three hours later, got in the car, opened the glovebox to get my sunglasses out, and found........the credit card!
To this day I have no idea why it was in there, and the worst bit is that this happened when I was 36!
There's no hope for mewink

sunseeker Thu 12-May-16 10:34:22

I don't often lose things (tempting fate there!) but for a few years now I have been hearing a click at around 9.30 pm every night. I have been racking my brains trying to work out what it is. Last night I found out. The light outside the front door is on a timer which is plugged in behind a cupboard in my sitting room and the click is when it switches on! I must have set that up at some time but I can't for the life of me ever remember doing it!!!

Swanny Thu 12-May-16 10:14:17

Greyduster, if you're really really worried about your memory, talk to your gp. My ex OH lost a pair of underpants ...

I talked to the divorce judge LOL smile

moobox Thu 12-May-16 10:12:21

I cannot train myself to do the obvious - always put my bunch of door keys in the designated box. They are always somewhere else

Greyduster Thu 12-May-16 10:07:27

I'm usually quite sanguine about things that are mislaid, but of course this was different, and I do worry about it being a slippery slope. DH has suggested that in future, if I put things "out of sight" when we go away somewhere for more than a couple of days, as is my habit, that I make a written note of where they are and take it with me! Then of course I shall forget where I've put the list....... I have enjoyed reading your posts though - they cheered me up and it's nice to know it's not just me!

LullyDully Thu 12-May-16 08:37:42

Grey Duster. As I read this story I thought he may be wearing it!!!! We do daft things daily. Husband is the great mislayer of items. He was once given some keys you had to whistle for, don't know what happened to them.