Gransnet forums

Chat

Snails on holiday

(10 Posts)
cornergran Tue 17-May-16 18:49:41

Can they swim? I throw our snails very hard over the fence and with luck across a little river. Hopefully disrupting the homing instinct. Not sure what people walking along the river path think, though. smile]

numberplease Tue 17-May-16 17:08:40

Round here they seem to prefer climbing walls. How come I quite like them, yet feel such a revulsion for slugs, they`re the same but no shell? Must be the usually quite pretty shells that I like.

rosesarered Tue 17-May-16 17:08:17

If you had gone on holiday to France miep you could have sold them as a snack.grin

Pippa000 Tue 17-May-16 13:25:16

Apparently snails do have a homing instinct, and will eventually, albeit very slowly return to their 'home' garden.

rubysong Tue 17-May-16 12:41:17

Round here they seem to have a homing instinct.

Teetime Tue 17-May-16 12:33:23

Other gardens are nearer!!!grin grin

annodomini Tue 17-May-16 11:32:11

They don't seem to like dandelions, Teetime. At any rate, they prefer almost anything else, so you may have them crossing the road back to your garden!

Teetime Tue 17-May-16 11:23:42

Aha! Its a very good year for snails. I wonder if they are related to the Leicestershire snails that have colonised my compost bin and almost every plant in the garden. we live opposite a green so DH is taking them out and liberating them there among the dandelions.

kittylester Tue 17-May-16 11:22:11

I wish my beeping snails would go on holiday - do you have room for any more?They could retire wherever you take them!!

miep Tue 17-May-16 10:56:20

I have just had my wheelchair serviced by a very nice chap sent by Motability, who comes to the house once a year. Apparently, there is nothing much wrong with the chair, but I might notice it will go a bit faster now as an entire colony of snails had set up home next to the battery! Now I'm wondering...did the snails come to Minehead with me last week, or were they there when I went to Ireland in January? Can I get done for possibly importing livestock?