Gransnet forums

Chat

elegance and flowers

(60 Posts)
whitewave Mon 23-May-16 20:38:50

Just watching Chelsea with my favourite person Monty Don. One thing you could never accuse him of is sartorial elegance, but I love his style. He is his own person.

He reminds me of the style adopted by Corbyn.

Greyduster Wed 01-Jun-16 13:32:48

Unfortunately, DH has a special affection for pot marigolds. I thought I'd got rid of them all this year, systematically pulling them out, but he was delighted when he found some straggly seedlings growing at the back of the border.

granjura Wed 01-Jun-16 12:56:56

Gertrude Jekill (sp?) is my guide, and Beth Chatto too.

granjura Wed 01-Jun-16 12:55:07

It's the first year my cottage garden borders are really blending without any gaps- most of my plants were brought from our UK garden. All perennials, and I can assure you no pot marigolds in sight! Just about to burst- can't wait for the peonies and even more, the massive tree peony which seemed ver sad the first two years- but he now amazing, with massive dark flowers. I saw one about 1/4 of the size at the French garden centre yesterday- 64.50 Euros!!

The secret of a great cottage garden is continuation- so that when some flowers finish, others come into flower, and so on- here from May to October- so must Chelsea chop some cranesbill and phlox, etc, next week so they don't all flower at once. And a bit of madness and tolerance too- I have aqualegia of dozens of colours, including double bonnets- which self seed, and borage too- not always where I would have planned them. But I let them get on with it-unless they are truly in the way or over-shadowing other plants I want to protect (had to pull some out from around a rose, as it was being suffocated). Coloured Swiss chard, purple fennel, some mints- do mix well too. Just love it- and perfect for an old Vicarage 429 years old.

Marmark1 Wed 01-Jun-16 08:29:51

I like Monty,what's not to like,as to Corben,good grief,there's no comparison.

GandTea Tue 31-May-16 08:50:33

Just braved the wind and rain. Some minor damage and things blown over, but nothing that won't recover. Our banana has lost its new leaves, but it grows so fast that they will be replaced in a few weeks. The rambling rose through our apple tree is hanging down across the path, but I can tie it back in when the weather improves.

Greyduster Tue 31-May-16 08:34:26

None of my roses are in bloom yet. The climber, despite my best attentions, is slowly losing its leaves to rust again. I sprayed it and it seemed to be looking ok, but I seem to be taking a handful of affected leaves off most days. It's covered in buds; shame, but I think it will have to go at the end of this season. None of the other roses seem to be affected. A very good show of geum Mrs Bradshaw this year though. I was absolutely livid yesterday to find that the square stone planter outside my front door which was full of fuschias just coming into flower had been attacked by cats and most of the plants and soil were on the floor. angry

GandTea Tue 31-May-16 08:15:16

Same here WW, rose are magnificent, new blooms every morning.

whitewave Tue 31-May-16 07:58:11

If the roses in my garden are anything to go by it is going to be a good year for roses - except those that fall downsad

rubylady Tue 31-May-16 02:44:27

Yeah, I have a car now so I can get to other garden centres and open gardens, starting this next month! Bring it on. (If I can breathe grin).

Elrel Tue 31-May-16 01:48:50

Nellie - my Geoffrey Hamilton rose has suddenly produced masses of buds. So excited waiting for it to bloom!

whitewave Wed 25-May-16 11:47:15

jing I'm growing mine as a standard in a big pot. That was to molify my DH as well. I got it from Crocus and am prunning it as advised by RHS. Mine is a Japanese blue one with hopefully a good scent.

Must dash as supposed to be getting ready to take the dog to be clipped and then a picnic. Bloody cold though. Her Maj has picnics in the freezing cold so I am in good company.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-May-16 11:26:45

DH won't let me grow one up our house. Yet when we saw one on holiday, he remarked how lovely it was! Grrr.

whitewave Wed 25-May-16 11:24:59

How old is it Nellie. I'm trying to get my to be a standard and it is a grafted about 3 years old

Nelliemoser Wed 25-May-16 11:22:13

Ah Geoffrey Hamilton! He was a gardener. He would would say about a garden plants if that's what you like then grow it.
He did not like snobbishness about garden design.
A bit like me I buy plants I like and find somewhere to put them whether or not they don't fit anyone's design requirements. For me it's about lovely plants not garden design.
(Did I mention my lovely Wisteria which has just produced lots of flowers for the very first time. wink) I am like a mother who can't stop gazing at her new baby.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-May-16 11:08:07

grin

whitewave Wed 25-May-16 11:02:33

grin No I've just remembered its proper name - heliotrope - smells like cherries

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-May-16 10:59:44

Sorry! found the one you mean

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-May-16 10:56:35

cherry pie

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-May-16 10:53:45

Just looked up cherry pie. After wading through a lot of recipes (grin) I find that it is a type of marijuana. Do you need to tell us something whitewave? hmm grin

whitewave Wed 25-May-16 10:48:03

Oh no I've just looked at it and it isn't. I don't think I've ever grown that. That's on next years list or even sow in September this year.

whitewave Wed 25-May-16 10:46:27

Is mignonette the same as cherry pie jing?

whitewave Wed 25-May-16 10:45:39

I grow NSS every single year. They are at their best on warm summer nights. So not that often then?

GandTea Wed 25-May-16 10:28:46

Thank for all the suggestions, heading to the garden centre soon. My thinking atm is
Lavender
Night Scented stocks
Dianathus

I like the smell of nicotina, but the plants I have grown in the past are a bit leggy for a tub.
Roses - a bit big (the sort we like)and we have dozens already, and a fragrant climber just behind seat.

Please keep ideas coming.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-May-16 10:00:08

mignonette here in case no one remembers it. It's quite hard to find these days. People like more showy plants.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-May-16 09:55:40

Does anyone remember mignonette? Not much to look at but, oh the scent!

Night scented Stocks and a Nicotiana with a good scent would be good by a garden seat if you sit out in the evenings. You have to be careful with Nicotiana. Some of them are disappointingly unscented. The white ones are the best for smell.