Gransnet forums

Chat

I had the police round my house this morning

(21 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Sat 28-May-16 12:37:17

Two nice police ladies. Apparently some lady had rung for an ambulance and the police, and only managed to get out name of my house. Wasn't me. Took my mobile number, and asked if there was anyone in the house I didn't want to be there. I said no, becaus DH was out with his mates.

Wonder what that was all about. confused

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 28-May-16 12:39:38

I hope there's no poor lady in dire need in a house of the same name somewhere. They didn't send an ambulance. Just these two police ladies and a first aid kit.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 28-May-16 12:40:18

Sorry for the sick jokes. I think I might be in shock.

kittylester Sat 28-May-16 12:41:44

Bet that was a bit unsettling for you jings, even if it wasn't you or anyone you know. flowers Let us know if you find out anything!! (not that I'm nosy or anything!)

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 28-May-16 12:43:27

I was shit very scared kitty. You can imagine what I thought it was going to be when I saw them through the window.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 28-May-16 12:44:24

I bet I hear nothing else. Will be left wondering. hmm

granjura Sat 28-May-16 13:01:16

Hope they ring back to tell you what happened!

When DD2 was 16, she was left at home when the phone rang and there was a 'heavy breather' on the phone. She put the phone down- and then thought 'what if'? Her dad wasn't on call, but even so. She dialed 1471 to get the number and phoned the police to tell them she was concerned in case it was someone in trouble needing a doctor. They sent an ambulance, and yes, a lady had had a stroke. She got a lovely letter from the Police thaking her for her quick thinking and concern, and that she surely had saved the woman's life.

Mildred Sat 28-May-16 15:29:42

Sympathise jings a long time ago we had a loud knock on the door in the early hours of the morning (we tumbled downstairs expecting the worst) and two policemen were looking for their fingerprint expert and had been given our address, we had not long moved in but knew there was a policeman over the road so we sent them there, as they were leaving one produced a hot freshly baked loaf of bread and gave it to us I put it in the kitchen and went back to bed. When the alarm went I thought I had been dreaming but there was a freshly baked loaf in the kitchen. It's over 40 years ago and I still remember the panic and would have thought it was a nightmare except for the bread.

thatbags Sat 28-May-16 15:36:21

Why were those policemen carrying a freshly baked loaf?

Anya Sat 28-May-16 15:50:47

Was it a baton?

Synonymous Sat 28-May-16 16:28:55

Anya grin

Synonymous Sat 28-May-16 16:46:47

jings nope you find out what it was all about as it is very unsettling. Hope you are ok now.smile
Makes you think it must be so weird for them to have people scared witless when they knock on someone's door!

Synonymous Sat 28-May-16 16:47:24

Hope not nope!

thatbags Sat 28-May-16 17:18:18

You are on very good form today, anya! grin

grannyactivist Sat 28-May-16 18:15:56

I think I would find that shocking too jingl. Might need a glass of wine to recover. wine

Anya grin

hildajenniJ Sat 28-May-16 18:54:24

Hey! Jingle I've had a policewoman at my door this afternoon! She wanted to know where a particular house was. Yikes, it's my next door neighbour's house. Now I am all agog. I wonder what has been occurring. Oo er!

oldgoat Sat 28-May-16 20:14:42

Last year OH and I were staying in a Premier Inn in the centre of Birmingham. At about one in the morning we were awoken by thunderous bagging on our bedroom door and a man shouting "Open up. Police!". OH looked out of the spy hole in the door and could just see a chap on his own, not in uniform, so he wouldn't let him in. Eventually the man in the room opposite opened his door so we opened ours too - strength in numbers.
It transpired that there had been an incident outside the hotel and the police thought the baddie might have been hiding in our bedroom!! We were really shaken - if a member of the hotel staff had been with the policeman or if he had proffered some identification we might have opened the door sooner. (Premier Inns don't have phones in their bedrooms so there is no way of contacting a member of the hotel staff in an emergency.)
Next morning the receptionist enquired whether we had enjoyed 'a good night's sleep' and we had our bill refunded.

Crafting Sat 28-May-16 20:49:23

Did it occur to you that it maight have been GNHQ reporting you for one of your misdemeanours jings hmm

annsixty Sat 28-May-16 20:59:46

Once in a Premier Inn we were all disturbed by the fire alarm imn the middle of the night. No member of staff appeared and we all went back to bed. However that is irrelevant, on an occasion a few years ago H was away for the night which was very unusual. At about 8 am I answered the door to 2 police officers. I cannot say how I felt but they were there to tell my H he was required to appear in court as a witness to some incident connected to his job. I can still remember the terror I felt at opening the door to them.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 28-May-16 23:03:17

Yes. That's just it annsixty. For a moment there it was like looking into a terrible abyss. I'll never forget that feeling for the minute or two when I was thinking the worst.

They were very nice police ladies though. Bless 'em.

Eloethan Sat 28-May-16 23:54:43

You went to bed when the fire alarm was still going?