Gransnet forums

Chat

Ideas for 60th birthday

(25 Posts)
grannywonder Fri 03-Jun-16 15:49:43

My husband's birthday is in Aug and he's the kind of man who quite likes a good knees up. I'd love some ideas? Has anybody been to a really great stand out do? What did you do?!

Jenty61 Fri 03-Jun-16 16:10:00

My younger daughter took me up to London to see a west end show and for my husband she bought him a flying lesson both were fantastic...

phoenix Fri 03-Jun-16 17:04:11

I suppose a sixties themed party, with the music, food and clothes would seem a bit naff!

rosesarered Fri 03-Jun-16 17:05:17

Good idea phoenix

rosesarered Fri 03-Jun-16 17:07:03

Am wondering what to do for DH's 70 th coming up soon.Probably a holiday as he shies away from parties.

tiggypiro Fri 03-Jun-16 17:44:22

I had a ceilidh for my 60th. An excellent knees up, lots of opportunity for people to meet new friends, no dancing experience needed, music not so loud you couldn't hear yourself think, just a great deal of jolly good fun.
As for presents I asked for donations to Air Ambulance and the total given was over £600 pounds. Win win !

Purpledaffodil Fri 03-Jun-16 18:03:00

Sounds like a twin of my DH Rosesarered. He says holiday and or family meal but has rejected every holiday suggestion I have made. At least I have until the end of October, but suspect it will be here sooner than I thinkshock.

harrigran Fri 03-Jun-16 18:44:46

DH took 10 of us to a lovely hotel in the Lakes for the weekend. We had a dinner party in a private room on the actual birthday then we had lovely lunches and dinners on the other two days. The hotel looked down on to Lake Windermere and deer came into the grounds.

GillT57 Fri 03-Jun-16 19:19:51

I think 60s music is a bit out of kilter. I was born in 1957 and my music was the 70s. I am 60 next year.

seasider Fri 03-Jun-16 23:11:41

I had a barn dance and hot pot supper for my 50th. Great fun for all ages. There was a lady with the band who talked everyone through the dances

tiredoldwoman Sat 04-Jun-16 06:16:49

A work colleague is 60 today and is throwing a 60's party with everyone dressing up either in the fashion or a famous person from that time .

Happynannie Sat 04-Jun-16 09:44:32

To celebrate her husbands 60th birthday a friend took her family to London overnight. Unbeknown to her husband she had booked the Fawlty Towers experience which takes place at a normal London hotel. He thought he was just going to have a meal in the hotel as his celebration. They had the best night ever. The diners are joined by young actors playing the part of Sybil, Basil, Manuel etc. They didn't stop laughing all night and the food was good. They raved about it so much we are now in the process of booking.. I guess the proviso would be that you have to be a Fawlty Towers fun

Lupatria Sat 04-Jun-16 09:59:43

i had a joint party with my son in law for my 60th - he was 40 in the same month so we had a "grand centennial bash"!
just a party in a local venue which we hired for the night together with wonderful party food from waitrose [my daughter and i weren't going to cook!] and a local dj to entertain us.
a good time was had by all and we shared the costs - they paid a bit more than i did because they'd invited more friends.
now, almost 10 years later, there have been many changes - my daughter left her husband a year ago and i've lost two of the friends who were there [one only a week ago].
but i'm glad we had the party - we had people from my side of the family there [for some reason son in law's family weren't invited - well we never got on!].
now my thoughts are turning to what i'm going to do for my 70th which is only next year!!

Gaggi3 Sat 04-Jun-16 10:05:29

I went up in a hot air balloon for my 60th. Loved it.

Neversaydie Sat 04-Jun-16 10:09:18

My sister in law did a surprise 60th for my brother in the club house of a local organisation owned by friends .They did the catering And there was a bar (not free!)
A singer/dj so we could dance (70's music as that was his 'era')and lots of people went up to sing . (Not karaoke).A lovely memory is of my brother and two friends he grew up with singing 'You've got a friend'(this is Wales where everyone sings)
Sadly my brother died recently just short of his 62nd birthday Most of the guests from the party were at the funeral and the wake .We all agreed it was a fabulous memory
Carpe diem and celebrate life .

moobox Sat 04-Jun-16 10:32:08

My husband is 60 next week, and he is the kind of man who hates a good knees up. I have tried various ideas to shake him out of denial of the big-0. I even suggested Silverstone f1, then just a fish restaurant we hadn't tried, or posh afternoon tea. The best I managed in the end was a booking at the local Turkish restaurant - nothing new. In the end one has to shrug and say "whatever!".

For mine I did what appealed at the time, and invited any lady friends who were free, who ended up being people I had met in my 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s (just 10 of us in all) - and I treated them to a cheapo but delicious lunch at the local Italian, follow by an M&S chocolate cake I had taken along. Enjoyed by all.

craftygran Sat 04-Jun-16 10:37:09

For my DH 60th we had a 70s themed party. It was fantastic everyone joined in with dressing up and 70s music was played. I was a bit worried that our DGC would be bored but they were all up dancing all night. My daughter did a sweet buffet with lots of sweets we remembered. Our DC ,all 5, joined with me and we put together 60 presents, some of these were silly things like a bag of marbles for them you lose yours and his main present was a holiday in Scotland. For my 60th this year we are going to Wales for a week because our 40th anniversary is the week before my birthday and we are having a party for that.

Craftycat Sat 04-Jun-16 10:49:52

Do you have a good Blues Brothers Tribute band locally??
Best evening we ever had. I had a garden party for my 60th which was lovely as GC were young & it was a hot June afternoon but I want Blues Brothers for DH 60th. While we can still dance!!

carolmary Sat 04-Jun-16 11:59:24

I recommend a ceilidh too, but you might find it too late now to get a band and venue. Unless you choose a weekday. Try to get a ceilidh band where they do a bit of singing to give the dancers a rest! People are usually happy to give donations. We have a tradition round here of bringing something for a faith supper which usually works out well.

granma47 Sat 04-Jun-16 12:09:12

I bought a trip on the West Highland railway pulman for us both for my husbands 70th, however, it was cancelled at the last minute because of some technical problem, so never got there.

Wilks Sat 04-Jun-16 12:34:43

One of the things I liked about my 50th and 60th birthday celebrations was that they both went over several days, weeks in fact for my 60th. Works do, friends do, family do and then a special holiday. My 70th was low key at my request as I've been travelling a lot lately, but we have 3 breaks planned soon.

Irenelily Sat 04-Jun-16 12:56:14

I had a party at home for my 60th, a party in the school hall, where I was a governor for my 70th - a much grander affair! For my 80th my family took me on treats - a weekend in York, a first time visit to a racecourse - and I picked a winner! I had a Spa Day, an afternoon tea in a London hotel and a guided tour with an historian of Buckingham Palace! Last year at 85, I walked a part of Hadrian's Wall (an ambition) and we had a fish and chip lunch in a restaurant, designed by my husband, with children, step children and grandchildren! Not wishing my life away, but quite looking forward to treats at 90!
I think when you get older treats are more fun than presents - who wants stuff anyway!

tiredoldwoman Sun 05-Jun-16 08:06:15

Oh dear , I'm going to Auschwitz for mine in October . Bucket list doings .

Lisalou Sun 05-Jun-16 08:16:46

Funny, I just came on here with the idea of asking about birthday ideas for my mother, who will be 79 this year. She does so much for us, financially and otherwise, we would like to make her day really special. Truth is, I am lucky as my mother is one of our closest friends - both husband and I (A truly special gift that he is so fond of his MIL). A very good point is made by Irenelily, a special treat sounds like just the ticket - she has "things" by the bucketload! Maybe I can organise some sort of surprise with her GC all there. Mmmm, food for thought

carerof123 Sun 05-Jun-16 09:09:29

my wonderful sister took me to Fortnum and Masons for afternoon tea followed by a trip to the Albert Hall to listen to a Classic Spectacular which was amazing. At the end everyone sung Land of Hope and Glory and during Beethoven's 5th the canons high in the rafters went off, i will never ever forget it it was amazing!!!! The following day i organized a huge family lunch and my grand daughter then aged 12 baked me a giant cupcake with a 60 candles on the top. Such happy memories i will always treasure. Nest year for my 65th i am hoping to go to India on the Golden Triangle Tour, to create more treasured memories.