Gransnet forums

Chat

Disappointed with B&Q

(10 Posts)
vampirequeen Thu 16-Jun-16 16:08:48

We're in the process of converting a van into a campervan and have reached the furniture building stage so I started to look at wood and boards. B&Q offer a wood cutting service so I spent ages working out exactly what we'd need, how many pieces of wood we could get from each piece and the most cost effective way of buying it.

We went to B&Q, selected our wood and took them to the cutting area where the man said that he could only cut the boards and the wood was the wrong size. Apparently they only cut boards. Now I admit that having the boards cut saved us a big job but B&Q advertise a wood cutting service and we could have saved a few pounds if we'd gone elsewhere.

I'm annoyed because I feel I've been misled and have sent an email to the company telling them so.

vampirequeen Thu 16-Jun-16 16:09:58

Sorry just needed a whinge.

tanith Thu 16-Jun-16 16:13:00

It is annoying when things don't go as planned, it always seems to happen to OH and he's not the most patient person wink. I hope you still manage to juggle things around.

Deedaa Thu 16-Jun-16 16:16:15

I was rather annoyed when Wickes refused to cut some plastic drainpipe so it would fit in my car. They said they weren't allowed to cut anything or to lend me anything to cut it with. They did, however, lend me a tape measure so I could be certain that it was too long!

In the end I had to go home and ask my SIL to get it because his car is longer.

Juggernaut Thu 16-Jun-16 16:27:07

vampirequeen
Maybe you should phone the manager of the store in question, because my DH and DS had wood and boards cut at our local store less than two weeks ago!
It sounds to me suspiciously as though the member of staff in question was being awkward!

GandTea Thu 16-Jun-16 17:20:38

DeeDaa, I had exactly the same situation at Wickes, I had a large sheet of polystyrene insulation foam. They refused to cut it or lend me the knife they had on the counter to cut it myself, I was so annoyed that I put my foot on it and broke it in half (it did not matter that it was broken as I only wanted small bits) I left them the mess to clean up. Grrrrr

vampirequeen Thu 16-Jun-16 19:49:32

I've emailed the head office to complain that the offer is misleading as it entices customers but does not fulfil it's promise.

rubylady Fri 17-Jun-16 06:17:22

Common sense seems to have gone out of the window these days.

I asked at customer service at our B & Q store for assistance from the builders yard bit because I couldn't breathe well enough to walk the distance to it so wanted an assistant to bring me the goods on a trolley to the checkout. The person on customer service was insistant that I had to walk down to the builders yard to find an assistant myself hence defeating my objective. I left my trolley with stuff in and walked out of the store. They do seem to have lost the plot in recent years. Used to be brilliant but something has gone astray. I loved going but for one it's too big now (although I do have my scooter now) but unless I am going for something I don't need assistance for, I will go elsewhere.

But you are totally correct vamp I don't see the difference between wood and boards myself. Madness.

Willow500 Sat 18-Jun-16 06:11:03

We've had wood cut at B&Q before several times. Sounds like someone deserves a 'Jobsworth' hat at your store! GT your comment made me smile - you sound just like my other half who would have done exactly the same thing grin

mickymouse31 Wed 01-Apr-20 04:00:36

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.