Gransnet forums

Chat

Hand Made

(10 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 01-Jul-16 00:32:03

Went to the theatre this evening and bought a tub of ice cream in the interval. On the side of the carton it said 'Luxurious Hand Made Cornish Ice Cream'.
Great, I thought.
But on the lid, it said 'Produced in a factory that uses nut ingredients.'
Can it be hand made in a factory?? Really?

M0nica Fri 01-Jul-16 07:40:30

I suppose they could have lots of people standing over vats with big wooden spoons, on the other hand..........

GandTea Fri 01-Jul-16 07:58:50

"Hand Made" "Home Made" these are such vague descriptions.

Very few products are made without machines to some degree or other.
I am a wood turner and could not produce anything without a machine, so could not claim 100% hand made, perhaps a bodger could. I label my products "Hand Crafted" subtly different.

I suspect that some companies consider an item hand made if some one presses the button.

Our local jam factory produces everything in the original traditional way but make no claim to be hand or home made.

And as for "knitted by grannies" well ......

Stansgran Fri 01-Jul-16 08:18:06

The knitted by grannies ad brings up a violence in me I never thought I had.

GandTea Fri 01-Jul-16 08:23:42

When Innocence smoothies had their knitted hats on the bottles, the "grannies" at our day centre were clacking away busily knitting hats, hundreds of them.

GandTea Fri 01-Jul-16 08:26:18

Here they are

Teetime Fri 01-Jul-16 09:05:12

I often wonder about home made cakes in cafes especially when they taste and have the texture of those cake mixes. How come in such establishments I never smell baking being done?

J52 Fri 01-Jul-16 10:04:04

Teetime I have often had the same thought, although in smaller country tea shops I have seen the Kenwood whirring away in the background.

Of course some tea shops/ cafes outsource the cake making.

Teetime Fri 01-Jul-16 10:06:27

Yes I have seen cakes being brought in but of course they could have come from a small industrial unit and not necessarily be using fresh ingredients just those catering mixes. Home made is a very loose term.

KittensandKnittings Fri 01-Jul-16 10:32:11

It's because they do make it by "hand" using a batch method but with massive machines (like a big mixer) for each of the elements, they are moving it from stage to stage so there doing it just like you would at home with a small bowl/stove top and freezer but on a massive scale.

And as they do this and presumably make some Icecream with nuts they have to warn you of this.

I actually watched a video the other day on this...