Gransnet forums

Chat

Oh! Lordy!

(62 Posts)
PRINTMISS Sat 02-Jul-16 16:38:58

We have another full week of Sport on t.v. I know a lot of you enjoy your football/tennis/golf - BUT as far as I am concerned it now beyond a joke. I am so pleased we do not pay a t.v. licence.

rubylady Wed 06-Jul-16 23:28:34

Andy through, Wales out.

M0nica Tue 05-Jul-16 09:07:25

.... but half an hour later than usual because of the tennis!

Nonny Tue 05-Jul-16 08:29:04

Thank goodness Sewing Bee was on as advertised to calm me down!!

Nonny Tue 05-Jul-16 08:21:43

I really dislike all sport.Why can't the sport be on one BBC channel and people can watch anything else online.
( Last night - oh goody no sport on BBC1 according to Radio Times!I planned to watch a programme only to find that BBC Scotland had moved it without warning to replace it with yet another debate about Scotland and Brexit.While I have been following all the political debate closely I was cross!!)
I do have catch up TV but I imagine that there are a lot of people who don't have it.

PRINTMISS Tue 05-Jul-16 07:51:43

I do not think it is so much a question of not liking sport, it is the quantity of it which is really annoying, three channels at the same time, and in the case of some all day long. Obviously a lot of people enjoy their sport, and I would not want to spoil that, but equally many people prefer other things to watch. It is really just unfortunate, I suppose that football and tennis are both happening at the same time.

rubylady Tue 05-Jul-16 03:36:22

I've been glad of the football and the tennis this year. It brings me and my son together to watch something and we have enjoyed many matches, looking forward to the one on Wednesday when he has finished college and we treat ourselves to a Chinese meal and watch the game. Special time together. smile

There are many channels to chose from these days if you don't like the sport.

Linbrikat Mon 04-Jul-16 17:26:52

Sorry but I'm amazed that people are still complaining about Wimbledon being on both main BBC channels. It's ALWAYS been that way ever since BBC2 started over 50 years ago and in those days there were hardly any alternatives - now there are dozens of other channels available to watch. Also, people are always saying that BBC should have a dedicated sports channel. There are lots of reasons why this just isn't possible, one of which is that they simply can't afford to buy enough sport to fill all the hours. Despite what some people seem to think, BBC hardly shows any sport these days!

Badenkate Mon 04-Jul-16 14:01:15

Agree totally Lilyflower, and there's one more episode to come smile

Lilyflower Mon 04-Jul-16 09:51:14

'Power Monkeys, written by Andy Hamilton and Guy Jenkin was hilarious and can be found on Channel Four Catch-up.

Legs55 Mon 04-Jul-16 06:34:26

oh forgot to say no DH - he always loved the Horse Racing which I also enjoy so no problem there smile

Legs55 Mon 04-Jul-16 06:33:04

when I moved last year the signal was so bad on some of my favourite channels so my daughter persuaded me to have Sky something I always said I didn't want - it's been brilliant as I can always find something to watch. my "bugbear" is that regular programmes are moved around on BBC & ITV & the TV guides are no help - thank goodness for a daily paper grin

Lilyflower Sun 03-Jul-16 20:08:08

It is the Summer and, therefore, obeys the law that there is no good T.V. until the Autumn. We watch recorded old stuff like Scandi Noirs (Watching 'The Disappearance, French, not Scandi but good) and DVDs of things like 'Game of Thrones' which our kids bought us for Christmas. Thery are, however, disgusted that we are still nly on Series Three and cannot discuss recent spoilers.

'New Blood' is on Thursdays. That's Anthony Horowitz and quite good in a really bad way.

Linsco56 Sun 03-Jul-16 19:38:58

I can't take any more football...I'm off to tackle a mountain of ironing, unless any of you girls want to go to the pub? wine

Badenkate Sun 03-Jul-16 19:25:18

But most of the other channels are showing c**p. We have freesat and have sat in the evening , looking through the Radio Times and there is nothing on that is not reality, repeats of stuff we've seen, multiple showings of people looking for houses, pathetic American comedies etc. I do like watching sport, but not evening after evening. If I did, we'd have Sky Sports. BBC could use the red button more to either move some of the sport off the main channels or to provide an alternative.

numberplease Sun 03-Jul-16 19:24:03

No good, Chrissie if your OH is watching the sports programmes.

chrissie13 Sun 03-Jul-16 18:52:24

I agree there's too much sport on at the moment, but that's only because I would love to be able to watch it all and I can't because it's on at the same time!
Was the football really on both channels? I would be very surprised if it was because it should only be the final on both, and all the other matches split between the two channels.
As others have said there are loads of channels on freeview showing all sorts of programmes other than sport.

NannaJay Sun 03-Jul-16 17:56:18

I don't like sport either and I am thoroughly unimpressed with bbc and itv over the endless wretched football and the moving around of all other shows that make way for it. Not all of us have iPlayer or catch up tv. I have very basic Freeview myself grrr

marionk Sun 03-Jul-16 16:02:07

Plenty of other stuff to watch on free view if you want. I used to love the test matches when they were fully televised, the highlights are just not the same

Blinko Sun 03-Jul-16 15:32:41

Why oh why can they not allocate one of the many channels to sport then leave the rest alone? So far we've had footie, tennis, now there's cycling and the Olympics to 'look forward' to. FHS! Enough, already.

lizzypopbottle Sun 03-Jul-16 15:04:17

They'd better not reschedule the Great British Sewing Bee! It's the only thing I watch with both eyes and brain engaged!

Emiliarose2123786536910 Sun 03-Jul-16 14:59:18

I wonder what the men would think if only programs for lady's were on for a month

Sheilasue Sun 03-Jul-16 13:43:36

i'm reading and watching old repeats.

durhamjen Sun 03-Jul-16 12:50:36

Tonight there is The Musketeers on BBC1, China's Forgotten Emperor on Channel4, Soldier Poets of the Somme on BBC4, which admittedly is a repeat, but well worth watching.
No problem tonight to find something instead of the football.
However, I do really want to see Iceland beat France.

Shelagh6 Sun 03-Jul-16 12:42:02

Not for a while there is no hope but after the football, tv may be better!

Badenkate Sun 03-Jul-16 12:34:33

I'm sorry but that comment has really annoyed me nipsmum. I rarely watch TV before 7pm and then I like to watch something interesting and entertaining. At the moment it's either football, tennis or motor racing until at least 8 and possibly later. Tennis is on both main BBC channels and everything else is repeated because the TV companies don't want to show anything new. I'm not interested in 'reality' programmes and I think I've seen every Midsomer Murder ever made. What hobby would you recommend for 9pm?