Gransnet forums

Chat

Starting new life tomorrow

(54 Posts)
TwiceAsNice Sun 24-Jul-16 09:32:06

Tomorrow is going to be the start of my new life. I retired from two jobs this week, one Wednesday, one Thursday and the removals men came to take my furniture etc into storage also on Thursday. Brilliant DD1 came down on Wednesday and worked like a Trojan to help me sort and clean the house with last minute jobs. She left on Thursday night to drive back and I've been staying with my best friend since then (we've been friends since I was 9 I'm now 63)

It's been very sad to say goodbye to people I've worked with for 12 years and I'm moving from South Wales where I've lived all my life ( I'll always be Welsh wherever I live) I've lived within a radius of 20 miles from where I was born all my life, so don't know what Illl be like leaving my friend she is like a sister to me. However the chance to be by my daughters and see my DGD,s every day if I want to is priceless! I've always been 3 hours away from them ever since daughters left for Uni so will be fab to be literally down the road.

It was a nightmare winding up two jobs and sorting out moving house, I'm downsizing from a 3 bedroom house to a 1 bedroom flat so the tip and charity shop had a lot of stuff as I had to be a bit ruthless about what I kept. I'll be living with my youngest daughter for a few months as flat not ready yet. So tomorrow moving to Surrey FOREVER!

I just wanted to share my happiness with you all as you're so supportive on here. Thank you

Bez1989 Mon 25-Jul-16 21:26:16

Twice....I admire your courage and wish you the very best in your "New Life"
Hopefully youll find a better NHS service than in South Wales. Important youll find as you get older ! sunshine

watermeadow Mon 25-Jul-16 17:49:20

You're very brave but so sensible to move now, while you're young enough to throw yourself into a new life.
I moved from Wales when I was 49 and returned to the land of my fathers. My tiny, dilapidated cottage here cost nearly double what I got for a much bigger house in South Wales.
Best wishes for a happy future in Surrey.

Craftycat Mon 25-Jul-16 17:24:59

Welcome to Surrey. I'm sure you will be very happy here & you can get into London very easily which is also a bonus if you want to explore the historical sites & museums.
I know our rolling hills are not as dramatic as the gorgeous countryside you have been used to but it is very pretty.
I'm sure you will be very happy indeed being closer to your daughters.

1974cookie Mon 25-Jul-16 17:24:51

Have a Truly Wonderful new life ???

westieyaya Mon 25-Jul-16 16:58:02

When you find you've still got too much stuff use the online free cycle..I did a similar downsize and used the local one, it's amazing what other people are happy to take. Good luck in Surrey.

Mardler123 Mon 25-Jul-16 16:15:51

Good luck. Enjoy and be happy. You are a mere child from where I am standing. Lots to look forward to, and new friends to make.

VIOLETTE Mon 25-Jul-16 14:51:12

Good for you ! You will find it an exciting and interesting experience ! I moved all over the UK many times ...then to Spain, and then moved twice in France .....every time I knew no one or the area, but it's a lovely adventure and you will love it ....especially being near to family !

Good luck !

Emelle Mon 25-Jul-16 12:30:37

Good luck and enjoy the adventure. We sold our house in March and rented for four months. This worked out well as we realised that although being very close to family was good in some ways, it also had drawbacks so we have moved to back to another part of our own area which is an easier drive to family but close to our own network of friends and activities. We are delighted with our decision.

Kacee Mon 25-Jul-16 12:16:18

Hope you enjoy your new life, what part of Surrey are you movin to if you don't mind me asking?

Christinefrance Mon 25-Jul-16 12:08:46

So exciting Twiceasnice good luck with it all. Surrey is a lovely area to live and I should think lots of things to do.
Best wishes

Purpledaffodil Mon 25-Jul-16 12:00:54

Good luck Twice. Another Surrey gran here, but NW Surrey. I echo Grannyknot's welcome re meetups. We've had several in various parts of the county. Enjoy your new life.flowers

hulahoop Mon 25-Jul-16 10:52:52

Good luck and best wishes for your new life how exciting ?

Maggieanne Mon 25-Jul-16 10:35:04

Great news. So happy for you, I hope you get on well.

barbarafyles Mon 25-Jul-16 10:28:03

All the hassle will be worth it for the joy of being an 'on the spot' granny. I wouldn't change it for the world.

Swanny Mon 25-Jul-16 10:23:00

I hope all is going well for you on the first day of your new life smile I retired from work and moved 6 years ago, from a 2-bed house on the coast (where I'd lived for over 30 years) to a small flat in the middle of London. I am now just 15-20 minutes walk away from my DS, DiL and DGS and I am so happy. I empathise with the difficulty of leaving friends and work colleagues, downsizing and those countless trips to the charity shops and local tip! But that's all done now. New friends are there to be made, old friends are only a phone call or email away, the chance to see so much of your DDs and DGC - Priceless! sunshine flowers sunshine

Sugarpufffairy Mon 25-Jul-16 10:19:52

Hi Twice
Total admiration for what you are doing all in the one week. I have been thinking for years about moving and have not done it. You have changed your whole life in a matter of days.
I hope you will have a long and happy retirement in your new home
SPF

Lupin Mon 25-Jul-16 10:11:37

Yes - Please let us know how you get on. Earlier this year I moved from a 3 bed house to an apartment. I have stayed in the same county, but go often to Surrey to stay with my daughter. It's a beautiful county - lots of lovely things to do and places to go. Oh the joy of the grandsons too.
Downsizing had its sad moments and I had to say goodbye to a lot of furniture, but have enjoyed kitting out the apartment and finding solutions to living in a smaller space. I've turned one room into a bedroom cum study cum dining room with a fold up bed, fold down table and chairs.
I hope you enjoy living in your new home. With your attitude then new friends can't be far away. Very best wishes.

moobox Mon 25-Jul-16 10:09:51

My mum did that, to Surrey. She took up bowling, which was her way of meeting new found friends.

grannybuy Mon 25-Jul-16 09:44:36

Very best wishes. You have given me some much needed confidence! Have sold 4 bedroom house to move only 50 miles, to a smaller, more expensive one, and waiting in rented property for new house to be completed, and I feel guilty, and terrified! I am inspired by your enthusiasm. Being nearer your family will be life enhancing.

M0nica Mon 25-Jul-16 09:02:58

Congratulations, enjoy your new life flowers

BBbevan Mon 25-Jul-16 08:30:49

All the bestTwice If we can sell our house we will be going in the opposite direction to you to live nearer our DD. Hertfordshire to Camarthen.

nanaK54 Mon 25-Jul-16 07:44:07

Happy 'new life'!☺

Welshwife Sun 24-Jul-16 23:02:12

Twiceasnice twenty six years ago I did the move from Surrey to S Wales! Big changes - although I loved the move I must admit to missing some of the aspects of life living in the Home Counties - cheap theatre tickets from what was then a wooden hut in Leicester Square being one!

TwiceAsNice Sun 24-Jul-16 22:49:35

I'm not aim spell check error

TwiceAsNice Sun 24-Jul-16 22:48:26

Oxted near Caterham . Thanks for the invite Surrey Grans when aim settled I'll see what I can do.