Gransnet forums

Chat

Royals

(157 Posts)
hulahoop Wed 27-Jul-16 17:05:41

I have no problem with the royal family but does anyone feel like me that William and Kate appear to have a lot of holidays I know they don't live in our world but it must make young families annoyed when they can't afford one especially when cost of Kate's going away clothes is usually what it would cost for them to go away .

Jalima Mon 01-Aug-16 20:01:45

The £1 is still in my pocket anniebach as I haven't been out today

Jalima Mon 01-Aug-16 19:58:04

I bet she would still go round shutting all the lights off to save money though .....

Jane10 Mon 01-Aug-16 19:41:17

Noooooooooooo!

Elegran Mon 01-Aug-16 19:37:36

I am just having a smile imagining HM QE being "dissolute, dissipated, degenerate, corrupt, depraved" as decadent is defined in the dictionary.

Maybe there is a Dorian Grey portrait of her somewhere in the attic of Buck House, looking blowsy and lascivious with her boobs spilling out of a red satin basque, black fishnet tights and six-inch diamante heeled shoes, stubbing out chain-smoked black Sobranie ciggies into her caviar and glugging back Mother's Ruin while several bronzed Adonises massage her ego. Meanwhile Russian oligarchs and Greek shipping moguls are stuffing paper money into her stocking tops in return for contracts entitling them to fleece Uk citizens without fear of legal action.

Ana Sun 31-Jul-16 21:43:30

(think there should be an 'as' in there somewhere!)

Ana Sun 31-Jul-16 21:42:40

I've never thought of the Queen being greedy, or indeed living a decadent lifestyle...hmm

Anniebach Sun 31-Jul-16 21:39:59

No Jalima, you offered me the £1, I accepted it, so keep it clutched in your hand, you never know when you may come across a homeless person ,

Sorry, no I will not changed my views on the decadent life styles of the windsors whilst there are people sleeping on the streets . I am not anti royalist but I am anti greed , the latter is one of the seven deadly sins

A £1 per year? Yes please, for the homeless .

Jalima Sun 31-Jul-16 21:23:45

OK, anniebach I will post it to you as I haven't seen any beggars in the streets right near me and I am not going into the city just to hand it over.
(can I not give it to a Syrian refugee charity, they are homeless too).

ps is that a pound a year?

Jane10 Sun 31-Jul-16 21:20:45

If I give them a pound too will you stop going on about the Royal family?

Anniebach Sun 31-Jul-16 21:03:24

No Jsmila, it's my pound and I would like it to go to a homeless person , male or female. Fair I think , just think of the homes the windsors have

Anniebach Sun 31-Jul-16 21:00:56

And what sbout Pillip? Axeman perhaps , Edward and Sophie could take care of the Ravens ? Oh and Fergie in charge of the Crown Jewels grin

Jalima Sun 31-Jul-16 21:00:03

Surely passionate devotees of the windsors don't believe Abdrew works for a living
No-one believes that anniebach shock[

Thank you Jalima, I will accept the £1, please give it to a homeless person begging on the street
Can I give it to my usual charity or to the Red Cross please? Or the lady selling the Big Issue, when I said 'I'll be back in a minute' she had disappeared for the day, she may be there next week.

trisher Sun 31-Jul-16 20:54:01

The more I think of the Tower re-enactment the more I like it.
Queenie of course in overall charge.
William as the handsome knight/prince in disguise
Kate as the fair lady awarding her favour
Charles up in a tower somewhere gazing at stars an alchemist.
Andrew as the jailer and Eugenie and Beatrice as his daughters or prisoners.
Even Charlotte and George could be the Princes in the Tower when they are a bit bigger.
2 shows a day in high season.

Anniebach Sun 31-Jul-16 19:02:36

A dew gets his money from his mother who gets it from the duchy of Lancaster.

Surely passionate devotees of the windsors don't believe Abdrew works for a living

Thank you Jalima, I will accept the £1, please give it to a homeless person begging on the street

Jalima Sun 31-Jul-16 18:50:50

Anyway, off to finish off cooking the dinner.

I am not a staunch Royalist, but I am a pragmatist.
The thought of Trump-lite fills me with horror.

Jalima Sun 31-Jul-16 18:49:24

That's just what HM needs at 90 - joining a re-enactment society to play herself grin

Jalima Sun 31-Jul-16 18:48:01

Not since that one that Prince Edward organised - what was it again?
It's a Knockout

Ana Sun 31-Jul-16 18:44:30

You could have look-alikes. That way, there could be several 'Royal' events going on in different locations!

trisher Sun 31-Jul-16 18:41:46

The 85p is nowhere near the correct figure- read the link!
I would volunteer provided I could claim expenses. There are a number of re-enactment societies who would be really keen to get involved, however I suspect the Windsors will not get on board.

Jalima Sun 31-Jul-16 18:40:24

I didn't think that Beatrice and Eugenie had protection paid for by the taxpayer any more.
Their dad pays now.

Jalima Sun 31-Jul-16 18:37:33

Given that the cost to each member of the public is something like 65p per year, if you feel that strongly Anniebach let me have your address and I'll gladly reimburse you.
I don't mind either, in fact I will send you £1 anniebach out of my pension; it will be my contribution because I don't pay tax.

Jalima Sun 31-Jul-16 18:35:23

So I suggest The Tower of London hosts events in the summer featuring the Windsor family, maybe a meet and greet, maybe some sort of ceremony.
Good idea, can we have some volunteers to play the prisoners?

Jalima Sun 31-Jul-16 18:34:01

It would save money and police manpower if the Windsors paid for their own security
it would save a lot of money if ex-politicians who make millions after messing up the country paid for their own security too.

Jane10 grin
Are there any handy oak trees around?

J52 Sun 31-Jul-16 18:23:13

Was that Boris?

trisher Sun 31-Jul-16 18:12:31

As Johnson said, "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."