Gransnet forums

Chat

holidays in turkey

(15 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Thu 28-Jul-16 22:59:01

So long as the resort is well away from Syria, I wouldn't be too concerned. Some friends of ours are there at the moment. They are fine.

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 28-Jul-16 22:55:08

There are many things I would love to see in Turkey because of its rich history, but at the moment it's just not a part of the world I would risk visiting. I realise it is a huge country, but reading the advice on the UK government's website here about travelling to Turkey, it is more than enough for me to decide it is not for me.

numberplease Thu 28-Jul-16 21:17:36

I loved Turkey, we`ve been 3 times. We found that if you just say a pleasant "no", they leave you be, unlike in Tunisia, it was very daunting there, they`d follow you down the street, just wouldn`t give up.

Jalima Thu 28-Jul-16 20:40:55

A FB friend lives there, she is married to a Turkish man.
Wonderful people, they work hard for charity and some of their friends make runs into Syria taking aid there.
Very brave people and I am in awe of their courage.

stillaliveandkicking Thu 28-Jul-16 20:34:14

I went to Turkey a few years ago and hated it. Couldn't walk down the street without being accosted. Awful place. I'd get my money back and go somewhere else.

watermeadow Thu 28-Jul-16 19:56:48

One of my daughters has booked for next month and I'm worried but they won't get their money back for an alternative unless the F.O. advises against going.
The holiday coastal areas seem OK.

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 28-Jul-16 18:45:24

Yesterday I met a friend who has a holiday booked for September at an all inclusive resort they've been to before. Apart from getting to and from the airport, they stay in the complex as they just want a 'sun by the pool' holiday. Her nephew is 2 years into a 4 year IT contract and lives on the outskirts of Istanbul with his Turkish girlfriend. Apparently he's not noticed much change and my friend has every intention of going on holiday. I think only FCO advice not to go would make her change her mind. I don't think I would be as relaxed about it and if the option was available, I would go somewhere else.

BlueBelle Thu 28-Jul-16 18:10:14

My friend has just come back and says they won't ever go again

numberplease Thu 28-Jul-16 16:38:50

A friend has just come back from a week in Icmeler, no problems, but she says that so many hotels are closing down, through lack of custom, and her hotel, where she always goes, weren`t sure if they`d still be open by next year, so she may not go again, but not because she felt unsafe. I`d still go, it doesn`t matter where you are these days, you can`t feel 100% safe anymore. A pity.

Teetime Thu 28-Jul-16 12:03:33

Three families nearby spent last week at a coastal resort there with no problem at all and thoroughly enjoyed their holiday. My daughter is off to Dalaman next week for two weeks and although she is slightly nervous refunds are not being given and all reports currently are good. I will worry till she comes home though- I probably would wherever she went!

Indinana Thu 28-Jul-16 10:55:21

My DS cancelled his holiday there - he was due to go with his 10 year old son only days after the attempted coup.
A friend of my DD is married to a Turk and they live in Ankara. She has now come back to the UK because she feels so unsafe out there. She said her husband worried about leaving her alone every time he left their home to go to work (she gave up her job some time ago). But that is Ankara, very different from the coastal tourist resorts, which I imagine are probably safe. The FCO would advise people not to go if the tourist resorts were unsafe.

Greyduster Thu 28-Jul-16 09:59:18

My daughter, SiL and GS are due to go out there the last two weeks in August. I'm not happy but she says they are just keeping an eye on the foreign office advice and are going to 'suck it and see'. I suppose, at the moment, flights are operating normally and there are people who have booked holidays that are coming and going from there every day, and the tour operators must have some responsibility to keep an eye on the situation on the ground, but even so......the ten days they are away will be the longest of my life.

Charleygirl Thu 28-Jul-16 09:32:49

A Turkish family live close to me and they take the children every summer but they are giving this year a miss because of the problems. I do not know what part of Turkey they come from but they do not think it safe for them at present.

Mumsy Thu 28-Jul-16 09:13:37

someone I know is going to Turkey with the whole family next week for two weeks, they dont seem to be concerned.

carerof123 Thu 28-Jul-16 09:01:31

Is there anyone who has recently come back from Turkey. In light of the recent attempted coup i am asking as my son and his family have a holiday booked for the end of next month. Obviously i am concerned especially for my grandchildren. I cant remember the name of the resort they are going to but it is coastal.