Gransnet forums



(12 Posts)
DaphneBroon Fri 29-Jul-16 14:47:38

Made a rather good kedgeree for lunch, popped it in the oven to keep warm and settled down to finish my coffee waiting for DH to show.
Sort of conscious of a flickering behind me........
I had left a double oven glove on the job and not turned the hob off.
Bit of a situation!! Tried to cover with lids, lift glove into a roasting tin with tongs and get it outside all the while nasty acrid smoke was billowing round the kitchen!
My super sensitive fire alarm just outside the kitchen door, which normally springs into action if I so much as fry an onion, remained strangely silent however. Remembering anya's awful predicament, I was just glad I was still in the kitchen, able to shut Grace on the other side of the door and able to avert a worse situation. Playing on GN of course had nothing to do with it hmm?

sunseeker Fri 29-Jul-16 14:53:01

Wow - so glad it wasn't worse. Hope you manage to get rid of the smell of smoke - it can linger. flowers

Jane10 Fri 29-Jul-16 15:10:34

Never mind all that. How was the kedgeree? (my favourite!)

Maggiemaybe Fri 29-Jul-16 15:11:04

I love kedgeree!

My oops moment this morning was unscrewing the wrong bit of the blender, which was chock full of cooked and liquidised blueberries, redcurrants and sugar that I'm making into sorbet. As it came loose a couple of litres of sticky purple gunge flooded over the table, chairs, floor, cat, mat, DH's shoes.. It took ages to clear up.

I must admit to scraping up everything that was still on the table and carrying on - I'm not wasting all those hours of growing, picking, topping, tailing and cooking. We won't offer it to visitors though grin

I have a ready-made excuse - broken hand in a support, so everything's being done left-handed at the moment. But actually it was just down to a senior moment, and me paying more attention to Ken Bruce's Popmaster than to the cooking.

hulahoop Fri 29-Jul-16 15:19:22

Glad it wasn't any worse daphnebroon hope you had something else in for lunch

Bellanonna Fri 29-Jul-16 15:40:13

Well, hopefully the kedgeree, safely in the oven, was edible. And enjoyable. The smell of burning, foam- filled oven gloves must have been horrible, and probably still is. Thank goodness it was no worse.

Maggiemaybe, thst was a bit of a waste. Hope you enjoyed what you salvaged though.

Bellanonna Fri 29-Jul-16 15:42:06

But then again, is the picture showing the charred remains of the kedgeree?

cornergran Fri 29-Jul-16 16:05:15

Oh heck, thank goodness you hadn't wandered off Daphne, hope the kedgeree survived. Sorry, Maggie, couldn't stop a bit of a smile, it's just the sort of thing I'd do. Pleased you rescued some.

shysal Fri 29-Jul-16 16:34:46

Lecture coming up smile. I was horrified that you carried the burning remains outside. The rush of air could have re-ignited it and sent flames all over you. Fire talks at work drummed the 'cover with wet cloth and leave to cool' action into me.
Hope the kedgeree survived.

numberplease Fri 29-Jul-16 17:35:44

In 1964, I took our eldest, and only daughter at the time, outside to watch the Whitsuntide procession go past(remember those?) I left the chip pan on the electric ring, melting the fat ready to do the dinner, then got in conversation with neighbours and completely forgot about it. When I went back in through the front door I was met by thick, black smoke! I raced next door, the gentleman went in, brought the chip pan outside and someone called the fire brigade. When they arrived, the fire was out, but I had a terribly charred kitchen, burnt out light switches, the wooden wall behind the cooker was a mass of blistered paint, and everywhere was almost black. When hubby got off the bus from work I was waiting outside, saying "Promise you won`t be mad?" I`m just thankful that I took the baby outside with me and didn`t leave her in the pram.

DaphneBroon Fri 29-Jul-16 18:39:00

Right shysal what I did was transfer the burning item to a handy roasting tin using tongs, covering it with a variety of large saucepans and lids, (the sink had stuff in it )
and it was just a couple of steps to the open patio doors.
I could see it was still burning underneath but the fire was contained although I had not been able to cut off the oxygen altogether.
What you see is all that is left of the gloves, the kedgeree was delicious , the smell has gone (at last thanks to the fan/3 open windows, wide open patio doors) but the various pans and lids are badly lackened though
Grateful not to be reliving anya's near tragedy!

grannyqueenie Fri 29-Jul-16 22:15:08

Salutary lesson there for me. I'm guilty of leaving my oven glove close to the job and have had a couple of near misses. Glad all is well DaphneB