Gransnet forums

Chat

Elvis still king!

(73 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Sat 30-Jul-16 19:36:04

Had a lovely whirl wind of day
Three GS plus families here for youngest GS 1st Birthday.
All have returned home.
So have put feet up
DH has just put some Elvis on.
The music and the words are wonderful. I can picture him singing.
He is more of DH era.
but I think he's great
My DD also thinks so, she used to do rock and roll as part of her dance class.

Just listened to 'True Love' it brings a tear to your eyes.

For me he is still King

I've never met anybody who doesn't like Elvis

Bet I will now!

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 31-Jul-16 01:08:44

He died on my 17th birthday. sad

It's hard to choose a favourite. Maybe Always On My Mind or The Wonder Of You. Can't beat Jailhouse Rock to bop to though. grin

Must look out his Greatest Hits CD. wink

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 31-Jul-16 01:14:43

If I Can Dream maybe. Too hard to choose. Marmark I would love to see the O2 show, but it's so expensive.

NanKate Sun 31-Jul-16 07:08:58

Another lifetime fan here.

Viva Las Vegas
Blue Suede Shoes

Love his ballads too.

Marmark1 Sun 31-Jul-16 09:24:54

Ninathenana,I find a few things odd,very very odd indeed.A special treat for us Wilmaknickersfit, we are also sightseeing and having tea at the Ritze.

Balini Sun 31-Jul-16 09:40:32

Never been an Elvis fan, but do love, Always on my mind. Makes me think of my late wife. Who I loved with all my heart.

Tessa101 Sun 31-Jul-16 09:43:56

Not my cup of tea either.

Gagagran Sun 31-Jul-16 09:44:35

Big fan and always have been. He could sing anything and there has never been a voice like his. One of my favourites, apart from the ones mentioned above is "Girl of my best friend".

Cherrytree59 Sun 31-Jul-16 09:59:13

Balini that is so lovelyflowers

I love all the songs mentioned
For me though its his voice.
Instantly recognisable.
And those eyes and side smile.

It was love at first sight when I saw my future DH he had same side smilesmile

Rosina Sun 31-Jul-16 10:12:56

Elvis was a before my time - Jailhouse Rock etc. was driving my older cousins mad when I was in primary school. I have to say his voice was absolutely amazing. Like him or not you have to give him that! My cousin had a recording of Elvis singing 'Blue Moon', accompanying himself on an acoustic guitar and it was superb - you could even hear the slight creak of the strings as he played. His voice was ...'caressing'..that's the only way I could describe it.

Peep Sun 31-Jul-16 10:24:45

Kentucky Rain.

Teetime Sun 31-Jul-16 10:30:31

Me too Cherrytree cant stand him but DH loves him and likes to play his music. I turned it off in the car yesterday he was banging on and on and on about suspicious minds!!!

KatyK Sun 31-Jul-16 10:39:23

So handsome in his day. I was always a Beatles girl but appreciated Elvis as I got older. I have a book about him and there is a picture of him taken in the late '50s with the caption 'Elvis, looking more handsome than ten movie stars' Sums him up I think smile

oldgoose Sun 31-Jul-16 10:40:32

So, so sorry but I can't stand Elvis. I can understand why he was so popular in the early days of rock and roll because he was a real one-off, a trail blazer if you like and no-one had seen anyone like him before. But his voice wasn't up to much, at least I didn't think so. ...I suppose it was the hips that did it !!

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 31-Jul-16 11:31:29

Marmark hope you have a lovely time. smile

grannybuy Sun 31-Jul-16 11:33:02

In my 'youth', I wasn't ' up nor down' over any popular music, but strangely, in the last ten years or so (now 68), I really like Elvis, Frank Sinatra and Queen. Not sure how I was so unaware back in the day. My DH says I was never young! Better late than never!

annifrance Sun 31-Jul-16 11:33:55

Back in the saddle after a hectic early summer and lost my password. Sorted.

It's Now or Never - my first record aged 9. Love him to bits. Loved the film Fun in Acapulco when I was about 11.

annifrance Sun 31-Jul-16 11:38:13

Can't Help Falling In Love now playing on Desert Island Discs, Jilly Cooper choice. I think it was the flip side of It's Now or Never. Tummy's got butterflies.

RAF Sun 31-Jul-16 11:45:43

In the 60s I preferred Cliff Richard, though loved the Elvis films. But the more I have come to hear all his music, and learn about his life, the more unique and terrific he has become for me.

We went to the O2 exhibition of his life, personal effects, clothes and cars at the beginning of last year, and in July were lucky enough to tour Graceland when in the States on an extended holiday. It is just a lovely family home, with a den where he used to hang out with his friends and record songs.

The grounds are relatively large for the size of house, and it has been largely kept as it was when he lived there, there are still horses, and the outhouses how contain all his gold records, costumes and effects. You can't go upstairs, that hasn't been touched since he was found dead on the floor of his bathroom. His planes were worth the trip alone, they had to cut off the wings to get them in. Also a room where all his cheques giving money to charities had been preserved.

He had amazing charisma, you can sit in a small cinema and view his comeback concert just as if you were in the theatre, and it does raise goosebumps. So sad that his doctor filled him so full of so many prescription drugs that it killed him.

Marmark1 Sun 31-Jul-16 13:22:14

Thank you,WilmaKnickersfit.

MaryXYX Sun 31-Jul-16 13:30:33

Oh yes - and I've just joined the ranks of "Elvis Impersonators". My local choir did a medley from "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" and I sang the "Song of the King". It's supposed to be sung as Elvis. I think I'm the only member of the choir who can do a baritone solo.

soop Sun 31-Jul-16 13:31:44

'Always on My Mind' does it for me. I also enjoy watching the 'Jailhouse Rock' video. Elvis was a classy mover. grin

soop Sun 31-Jul-16 13:34:03

Balini smile and sunshine for you. x

HannahLoisLuke Sun 31-Jul-16 13:34:19

I agree with Jalima. I love his early rock stuff, especially One Night. Can't stand those awful film songs and neither could he apparently.
Colonial Parker ruined him I'm afraid. Terrible films followed by endless stints in Vegas dressed like a circus performer. Elvis should have stood up to that man.

libra10 Sun 31-Jul-16 13:37:14

I'm another great Elvis fan, and loved his records such as 'Suspicious Minds', 'One Night', 'I Just Can't Help Believing', and more.

However, the films he featured in didn't do him image any favours, nor those awful 'Vegas' all-in-one suits that he wore. I think his manager Col Tom Parker didn't do him any favours.

In his youth, Elvis' astonishing good looks, powerful energy and soulful music couldn't be beaten.

Grannyknot Sun 31-Jul-16 15:01:14

oldgoose how can you say his voice wasn't up to much? shock It was the one thing that never let him down.

I've just remembered another favourite "Mary in the Morning".

m.youtube.com/watch?v=F0g56qW28t8