Gransnet forums

Chat

My favourite perfume, but no longer available.

(75 Posts)
chicken Mon 01-Aug-16 16:51:21

What's your favourite perfume? I don't much like modern perfumes, they all seem to smell much the same and are very musky. My favourite ever perfume, the one I wore on my wedding day, was "In Love" by Norman Hartnell, but it was discontinued years ago and can't even be found on ebay. I have a tiny little phial of it stored away and have a sniff of it now and again--can't use it as it's irreplaceable! I wish it could be reissued. I'd buy it like a shot.

Glammy57 Thu 20-Jun-19 10:00:42

My favourites: Chanel No 5, Shalimar, Chanel Coco Noir, Royal Princess Oud by Creed. The last one is a recent purchase as I wanted to try something different!

Greyduster Thu 20-Jun-19 08:31:49

Blue Grass, L’aimant, Je Reviens and L’air Du Temps were my favourite “younger” perfumes. Later, Guerlain’s Samsara. Now, when I wear perfume at all, I wear Jo Malone’s Green Orange and Coriander, or Vetiver. I try perfumes in department stores and can’t seem to find one that I really like. The worst one I had was Davidoff’s Cool Water Woman. DH wears Cool Water and it is lovely. Cool Water Woman is truly awful.

GabriellaG54 Wed 19-Jun-19 23:13:10

The problem is that our skin reacts differently to perfume as we age and what was an attractive perfume when we were in our 20s may not suit our skin in our 60s and 70s.

Piano5 Wed 19-Jun-19 22:54:04

There is a large gift set of Norman Hartnell " in love" currently on Ebay

Nandalot Mon 27-May-19 21:21:48

DH found some L’Aimant in the old- fashioned Co-op pharmacy where he was having his feet ‘done’. He bought me some as he remembered I used to wear it as a teenager when we first met. It is much sweeter smelling than I recall but doesn’t last long. At least it doesn’t trigger my asthma as a lot of perfumes do. I shall wear it now and again as it was very thoughtful of him.

BlueSapphire Mon 27-May-19 20:14:48

Remember wearing Aquamanda in my early 20s.
Then DH (when we were engaged) bought me Chanel No 5. Worn it ever since, and have tried a few different Chanel perfumes: Chance, Coco Noir, Coco Mademoiselle, and love the new Gabrielle.
DH only ever wore Chanel Pour Monsieur.

trisher Mon 27-May-19 18:54:41

Thanks NanTheWiser I thought I had the name right. Whenever I smell gin I am reminded of it. My mum loved it.

J52 Mon 27-May-19 18:20:29

Grandma70s I remember Canoe, I wore it at Uni. Quite an unusual but light fragrance.
Trying to remember who made it.

NanTheWiser Mon 27-May-19 18:14:09

@Trisher, I used to wear Gin fizz as a 16 year old, it was made by Lubin. (I loved it!)

callgirl1 Mon 27-May-19 16:50:41

I used to love Hartnell`s In Love!

Witzend Mon 27-May-19 09:00:15

I used to really love Je Reviens, by Worth. Still would if I had any!
Much harder to find now, though I think it's available online.

I hate heavy, musky or over-sweet scents. Have been known to use dh's after shaves - nice and light and fresh. (They've all been presents that he uses once in a very blue moon.)

When I was about 14 someone gave me some Hartnell In Love hand cream for my birthday. I took it to school and it was passed around during a biology lesson - upon which the teacher started having streaming eyes and saying she was allergic to somebody's 'powder''.

I don't mind admitting that at that age, and given that she was a funny old thing anyway, we all found this hilarious.

M0nica Sun 26-May-19 20:34:39

Grandma70s Diorissimo is the one that smells of Lily of the Valley. There is a bottle on my dressing table as I write. A friend sprayed me with some when I was 16 and we were off to a school dance. It was love at first sniff!! And my life has been a pursuit of a scent that smells similar but costs less.

Thankfully DH used to travel overseas a lot so used to buy it for me in duty free. now I can afford to buy it myself. One bottle lasts a long time. The advantage of expensive perfume is that one spray goes a long way and a bottle lasts a long time.

Welshwife Sun 26-May-19 20:34:37

For the last 40 years my favourite has been Clinique Aromatics - DD and my two adult GC all know when I have been anywhere.

trisher Sun 26-May-19 20:24:59

I always loved Je Reviens. Discovered Artisan perfumes a few years ago and adore their Fou D'Absinthe.
When I was a child my mother wore a perfume called Gin Fizz, no idea who made it. It really had a ginny perfume, put me off gin for life, like drinking perfume!!! Anyone know anything about it?

Grandma70s Sun 26-May-19 20:14:54

Was Miss Dior the one that basically smelt of lily of the valley, or was that Diorissimo? Anyway, I loved that one.

Does anyone Remember a perfume called Canoe? I liked that, too.

GabriellaG54 Sun 26-May-19 20:01:30

I love the now discontinued ? Japanese Musk oil from the Body Shop.
I did manage, at a silly price, to get a large bottle sent from their shop in Jersey which can refill my tiny vial many times over.
My AC love it and it's really my 'signature' for them although I do wear Armani Code edp, Diorissimo, Coco Mademoiselle and Narcisco Rodriguez For Her edp, at other times. Just the lightest spritz so that people just get a waft not a hit.

lilypollen Sun 26-May-19 19:57:40

In the 60s I remeber Mod Mist by Miners, it came in a turquoise blue plastic spray. Favourites in the late 60s were Mary Quant AM and PM - I can smell them now!

Keeley1973 Sun 26-May-19 19:22:02

Hi. I have sourced a bottle of this in Spray Mist form. I was about to list it on eBay. It is 56g/ml and hard to say how much left but feels like around half. Let me know if you might be interested at all?

Lilylilo Mon 08-Aug-16 06:12:49

You can get Miss Dior Originale which is the same as the old version

BBbevan Mon 08-Aug-16 05:47:06

I remember April Violets very well. My DD , when she was 6, bought some at a jumble sale. When we moved, shortly after, she spilled it on the door mat of the new house. Walking in and out all day, moving the furniture it got spread all over the house. The smell was with us for ages. DH calls it April Violents

winifred01 Sun 07-Aug-16 17:47:51

Anybody remember April Violets ,Yardley? I wore it when I was a teenager. Found it again recently so is now my everyday perfume. Posh - Opium, Shalimar and Mitsouko.,special occasions!!

chicken Sun 07-Aug-16 15:47:33

I've just found Rose by Paul Smith. It's lovely ( to my nose anyway),really floral with a bit of fruitiness, but also an edge to it so that it's not too sweet or sickly. I think I'll be using that one to the last drop unlike all the others which are cluttering up the bathroom shelf.

Alishka Sat 06-Aug-16 21:33:27

So many here I've loved back in the day!

Some scent bod I heard on radio4 once said that by a 'certain age' a woman settles on a favourite perfume and sticks with it, well, by his reckoning I'm an eternal (and v. Promiscuous) tartshock
My last tartish want, a throwback to don't remember when, was a particular Paco Rabanne perfume, now long disappeared from the lists, my most wonderful daughter in law made a mental note of it and produced a nearly full bottle of it she'd managed to buy for me at an Estate clearance sale, didn't bother me in the slightest that it was preloved and preowned, it was, and is, still absolutely lovely smile

Nansypansy Sat 06-Aug-16 06:01:41

I'm a bit too of a cheap skate in lots of areas but perfume is not one of them ..... I only seem to like expensive ones and my absolute favourite is Private Collection by Estée Lauder. Trouble is I can't afford to buy it these days and I only have a tiny bit left!

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 05-Aug-16 19:17:36

Charisma was an Avon favourite of mine when my Mum was an Avon lady. When she gave it up, she let me have her little box of sample bottles and I worked my way through them - lasted me until about 1976!grin

There was one called Soft Musk or something and I wore it during the day when I started working.