Gransnet forums

Chat

Olympic Memories

(30 Posts)
gettingonabit Sat 13-Aug-16 16:47:52

Just loving the Olympics at the moment and thinking of Olympics gone by. So many memories!

I think I remember some of the Mexico games and found it fascinating to see the action beamed from the other side of the world. I was in primary school then.

I remember Allan Wells in the sprint, along with Borzov of the USSR. And David Hemery in the hurdles. Who can forget Mark Spitz in the swimming? Wow.

And the gymnastics-omg Korbut, Kim and Comaneci!

The wonderful Carl Lewis winning pretty much everything. Ben Johnson winning, then losing his medal due to drugs.

And all those Iron Curtain females pumped up on steroids. Hard to believe now.

Ovett and Coe in the early 80s; I always preferred Ovett, though.

And Jonathan Edwards, Gunnell, Christie and Colin Jackson.

And the great Michael Johnson, powering away like a train in the 400. What a sight.

From this games, I think the defining moment so far is the runner smashing the record in the women's 15000m.

What are your favourite memories of Olympics gone by?

LullyDully Tue 16-Aug-16 11:52:32

I used to love watching Steve Cramm run with his blond curls. Also Sally Gunnell and Colin Jackson going over the hurdles.

gettingonabit Tue 16-Aug-16 11:19:07

mick who were those cyclists you raced against?

gettingonabit Tue 16-Aug-16 09:30:20

Are you a mamil, mick?grin.

The cycling has been great, hasn't it? Bonkers, but great.

I finally understood what was going on in the Omnium and was so pleased for Cavendish when he won a silver.

Can't wait for the women's omnium now. Go Trottsmile.

12Michael Tue 16-Aug-16 07:31:46

My Olympic memories are with cycling, having raced against some of them in Time Trials notably Mexico 68, and Munich 72.
And have been involved with a cycling organisation, where annual dinners many attended.
Mick

TriciaF Mon 15-Aug-16 14:46:43

Have you noticed that modern athletes are generally taller and more muscular than they used to be? Apart from long distance runners who always seem to be skinny.I wouldn't have a chance at 5'3".
And I read that trainers search out swimmers who are fish-shaped - tall with powerful upper body, long arms, short legs.

gettingonabit Mon 15-Aug-16 13:34:07

not Ovett is living in Australia and working as a commentator.

Ovett was placed behind Alberto Juantorena. another one of my memorable athletes, in the 1976 Games. Jauntorena had legs up to his armpits, as I recall.

Must stop all this nostalgia,now and do something useful for a change.

gettingonabit Mon 15-Aug-16 13:23:59

Ovett is still around, I think. Coe was always the smoother one (which is why I preferred Ovett).

Anyone remember Flo-Jo Griffith-Joyner? All glammed up like Joan Collins on speed..

And the Czech athlete Jarmila Kratochvilova who looked like a bloke? (no doubt pumped up on steroids and worse).

And the constant stream of Kenyan long distance runners with names beginning with K-Keino, Kiprotich, Kipyego,...all brilliant and somehow interchangeable.

Soon Bolt, Ennis, Ohurugu etc will be history..sad.

NotTooOld Sun 14-Aug-16 21:50:08

I loved the Seb Coe/Steve Ovett rivalry and always wanted Ovett to win. He was definitely more sexy than Coe! We all know what happened to Coe but what happened to Ovett? I'll have to look him up on Wiki.

Anniebach Sun 14-Aug-16 11:46:41

Let's not forget Mohammad Ali ,

Anniebach Sun 14-Aug-16 11:43:18

annodomini, it was the same for Jesse Owens, four gold medals , when he returned to America a reception was given in his honour but he was not allowed even to enter the banquet floor unless via the freight elevator

annodomini Sun 14-Aug-16 11:34:40

I heard the radio commentary on Fanny Blankers-Coen in 1948. From that moment, I became fixated on Olympics and was thrilled when we got TV in the early 1950s. Remember Wilma Rudolph and the Tennessee Tigerbelles? They put African American women on the athletics map, but when the Rome Olympics ended, and they went home to USA, they were still treated as second class citizens.

TriciaF Sun 14-Aug-16 10:42:11

I don't expect many of you remember Fanny Blankers-Coen? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanny_Blankers-Koen
It was in 1948, the London Olympics, I must have listened on the radio.
She was an inspiration for me because I was a good runner (not as good as her though!)
Then later Olga Korbut, the Russian gymnast who was wonderful to watch.
I liked Steve Cram too, I think he's still around, commentating?

gettingonabit Sun 14-Aug-16 02:02:54

I think Mo's just taken over from Haile, absmile

Anniebach Sat 13-Aug-16 23:19:48

So many memories,difficult to choose , I think Haile Gerbsallassi , two golds and regarded the greatest long distance runner of all time

gettingonabit Sat 13-Aug-16 23:12:25

I don't quite remember Bob Beamon, but I DO remember Lyn Davies' attempts to beat that jump. It was incredible.

And yes, Derek Redmond. That was quite a moment.

Never liked ice skating, though. Wasted on me, that. And I can't get excited about the golf, either.

Badenkate Sat 13-Aug-16 22:06:41

Derek Redman's dad jumping down onto the track to help him to finish after he pulled his hamstring and them both being cheered around the track. Wonderfully moving

Deedaa Sat 13-Aug-16 21:59:55

Loved the Protopopovs although I think they were pairs skaters not dancers.

Remember Bob Beaman doing that incredible long jump? I remember poor Lilian Board because she was quite local to us.

Those wonderful French ice dancers a few years ago. He had long blonde hair and she had long red hair and they wore wonderful costumes.

numberplease Sat 13-Aug-16 21:45:12

How could I have forgotten to mention John Currie, lovely performer.
Gettingonabit, you`re right of course, Mary Decker, not Rand, Mary Rand was Bignall before marriage if I remember rightly this time.
And Alima, I remember Lillian Board, such a shame she died so young, at the peak of her career, wasn`t her horse called Psalm?

Alima Sat 13-Aug-16 20:51:25

I loved watching the skaters, we used to have so many at the top. John Curry in the '76 Games and that wonderful routine, I can see it now.
Does anyone remember Lillian Board, a silver at the Mexico Games and so full of promise before she died so tragically young.

JackyB Sat 13-Aug-16 20:13:56

I remember the Protopopovs - they were ice dancers the best till Torville and Dean. My favourite summer olympic moment was Linford Christie's Gold.

gettingonabit Sat 13-Aug-16 18:38:19

It's great how the Paralympics have developed. Tanni GT is a fantastic ambassador.

No Oscar Pistorius this timegrin.

Does anyone remember the South African runner who had to take a sex test because everyone thought she was a man?

Cherrytree59 Sat 13-Aug-16 18:06:09

Paralympics.
Tanni Grey-Thompson

whitewave Sat 13-Aug-16 18:05:13

Super Saturday - so exciting

gettingonabit Sat 13-Aug-16 18:02:41

Mary Rand I only just about remember.

But afaik Budd tripped Mary Deckersmile.

They were both on the One Show the other night.

Mary Peters was lovely, wasn't she?

Cherrytree59 Sat 13-Aug-16 18:00:52

Well then...
Torvill & Dean
John Curry
Robin Cousins

Not forgetting
Eddie The Eagle grin