Gransnet forums

Chat

What makes you feel old?

(121 Posts)
soundinmind Wed 17-Aug-16 10:37:19

I've always been quite active and try and be very positive about my life (and my age!) But I'm beginning to show signs of 'getting older' and it's scaring me. I have a knee op scheduled for a month's time and it's the first major operation since giving birth and I'm very, very nervous. My last eye test showed my eyesight has worsened quite a bit since last time and I'm feeling very disconnected from my almost teen grandchildren who I've till now had a very good relationship with. I read the papers and watch telly and everyone looks so...young. How do I get my joie de vivre back!? I refuse to be 'past it' just yet even if the evidence is telling me otherwise!

shandi6570 Wed 17-Aug-16 18:28:06

I feel old when I'm climbing up or down from something and being cautious. When did that happen? shock

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 17-Aug-16 18:36:36

Walking into what seemed a totally invisible glass door in a hotel dining room with a plate of cake in hand. Plate made very loud noise against glass and cake fell to the floor. The phrase uttered by this old girl should not be uttered by any self respecting Englishwomaan in foreign parts, so that's my cover blown. blush

I had been so ladylike until then. Sigh! hmm

I had my glasses on too.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 17-Aug-16 18:38:22

Who knew that bloody door was closed. I could have sworn it was open.

Sorry God. Not your fault really.

Jayh Wed 17-Aug-16 19:04:11

I am feeling old just now as I have developed a pain across the small of my back. When I get up from a chair I am moving like my gran used to do, holding the affected part, stooping and staggering until I can straighten up. I am furious as my back has never bothered me before. Grrrrr!

NanKate Wed 17-Aug-16 19:10:46

At the play park today a five year old asked if I was the mum, au pair or Gran of the two boys with me.

I refuse to be thought of as old and when I am out I keep my back as straight as I can and walk as fast as I can - what a silly old s*d I am. grin I'm not fooling anyone except myself.

Riverwalk Wed 17-Aug-16 19:16:42

Seeing my age written down on an official form .... you get used to seeing your date of birth, and scrolling down forever on online forms looking for year of birth, but that cruel print-out of

Age: 61 years & 11 months, in hard print, is too cruel grin

whitewave Wed 17-Aug-16 19:21:40

Dear DH (not) took a video of me walking into the sea with GS2 today from the back and I look like a 70 year old ( which I am) not the 50 year old I imagined!!!!!

grannyqueenie Wed 17-Aug-16 19:38:54

I'm at the end of day 2 of our 9 and 7 year old granddaughters staying, they go home tomorrow after tea . We've been out and about both days, they're lovely and play so well together but I'm creamcrackered! That's when I remember I'm older than when I did this with 5 of my own, every day!!

Judthepud2 Wed 17-Aug-16 20:29:36

Getting up in the morning. ?

Scrolling through the age section in Internet forms.....and finding I am in the last group ?

Having to get on hands and knees to get out of the bath.?

DGS1 making comments on my hairy chin ?

Realising that in a few years I will be the same age as my mother when she died ?

hulahoop Wed 17-Aug-16 20:37:51

Feeling cream crackered after a day out
Having to get up through night several times
Looking at photo,s of when my family were young

morethan2 Wed 17-Aug-16 21:05:50

Being the oldest at work
Not being able to shop for hours and hours
Loosing the strength to push a swing/ carry a grandchild for too long
Not being able to drink alcohol, and recover quickly
Wobbly arms
Crinkly décolletage
Sensitive tummy
The fact that things will probably get worse.
Stop stop stop
I'll get really depressed at this rate, I'm only 63.

Lisalou Wed 17-Aug-16 21:35:40

I remembered this and thought it might bring a smile or two

You know you are getting old when...
You and your teeth don't sleep together.
You try to straighten out the wrinkles in your socks and discover you aren't wearing any.
At the breakfast table you hear snap, crackle, pop and you're not eating cereal.
Your back goes out but you stay home.
When you wake up looking like your driver's license picture.
It takes two tries to get up from the couch.
When your idea of a night out is sitting on the patio.
When happy hour is a nap.
When you're on vacation and your energy runs out before your money does.
When you say something to your kids that your mother said to you and you always hated it.
When all you want for your birthday is to not be reminded of your age.
When you step off a curb and look down one more time to make sure the street is still there.
Your idea of weight lifting is standing up.
It takes longer to rest than it did to get tired.
Your memory is shorter and your complaining lasts longer.
Your address book has mostly names that start with Dr.
You sit in a rocking chair and can't get it going.
The pharmacist has become your new best friend.
Getting lucky means you found your car in the parking lot.
The twinkle in your eye is only a reflection from the sun on your bifocals.
The iron in your blood turns to lead in your pants.
It takes twice as long to look half as good.
Everything hurts and what doesn't hurt doesn't work.
You look for your glasses for half an hour and they were on your head the whole time.
You get two invitations to go out on the same night and you pick the one that gets you home the earliest.
You sink your teeth into a steak - and they stay there.
You give up all your bad habits and still don't feel good.
You get to the check-out line, see how long it is, and decide what you have in your buggy isn't worth the wait.
You have more patience, but actually it's just that you don't care anymore.
Rocking in a rocking chair feels like a roller coaster ride.
You confuse having a clear conscience with a bad memory.
You finally get your head together and your body starts falling apart.
You wonder how you could be over the hill when you don't even remember being on top of it.

NotTooOld Wed 17-Aug-16 21:39:43

When I can't cut my toe nails!

Tizliz Wed 17-Aug-16 21:50:06

The look in young people's eyes which says "what is this old biddy on about " and I thought I was making a relevant point

numberplease Wed 17-Aug-16 22:18:12

Lisalou, that`s all SO true!

durhamjen Wed 17-Aug-16 22:36:41

I felt old yesterday when I went to the beach with two grandkids and their mum and for the first time ever I couldn't sit down on the sand, and dare not walk into the sea in case I fell over.
Then today, I felt a lot younger than all the other old women who had broken wrists in the hospital. So that made me feel better.

pollyperkins Wed 17-Aug-16 23:00:00

Seeing an old woman coming towards me and then realising its my reflection in a shop window!

Christinefrance Thu 18-Aug-16 09:07:40

Yes Riverwalk the scrolling down to my birth date is scary. People saying ' the old days in the 80's '

At what age do you stop falling and 'have a fall '

DaphneBroon Thu 18-Aug-16 09:23:57

I think being confused is the worst thing. I know my local Waitrose as well as I know my own house, I.e.could find my way around it blindfolded, that is until this week, when they changed the self-scanning "guns" and (heinous crime) moved things around so you had to ask where X,y and z had gone blush

inishowen Thu 18-Aug-16 09:28:38

I feel old when I see an elderly lady on tv and realise I'm the same age!

BRedhead59 Thu 18-Aug-16 09:31:05

See your friends more often we all get old together - go places where you will meet others of a similar age.

pooohbear2811 Thu 18-Aug-16 09:32:27

for me it has to be realising that the my children are approaching 40, when my head still tells me I am 29. Sadly my knees do not agree with my head.

harrysgran Thu 18-Aug-16 09:36:02

I do feel old when I look at photographs from when I was in my 30s 40s and when I look in the mirror first thing in the morning but then I think about the alternative and put it to the back of my mind.

littlefierce Thu 18-Aug-16 09:38:59

When you order a couple of maxi dresses from Wallis, thinking they are both stylish & age appropriate - and you still look like crap in them because there is nowhere for the lack of waist & large tummy to hide. Back to layering for me. I'm gutted. They are beautiful dresses sad

Mumsy Thu 18-Aug-16 09:42:01

realising that actresses and actors who are the same age as me have aged so much over the years!