Gransnet forums

Chat

What makes you feel young?

(52 Posts)
peaceatlast Thu 18-Aug-16 10:09:05

Just bought a beautiful, brand new, Fiorelli handbag in a charity shop. Capacious, raspberry coloured with a big floppy flower. I'm looking forward to using it to brighten my days. Nice to be frivolous now and again.

varian Mon 22-Aug-16 20:48:27

I expect he wonders what happened to the girl he married, but at least we are still together after 50 years.

varian Mon 22-Aug-16 20:45:28

Looking through old photos made me wonder what happened to my first husband - the young good looking one!

grannyactivist Mon 22-Aug-16 20:36:11

Funnily enough I spent a great part of the day re-ordering our attic storeroom, which means I also spent far too long rifling through old photographs. I was suddenly very conscious of the passing of time and aware that I don't 'feel' any older, but of course I am. I looked through photographs of me and The Wonderful Man when we were younger and reveled in the love I still feel for him; I don't feel young, but I do feel very grateful. smile

Greyduster Mon 22-Aug-16 20:32:36

A good haircut! I am overdue one and it shows every time I look in the mirror.

granjura Mon 22-Aug-16 20:24:02

again, young people. Just had 2 talented musicians to stay for a week- who gave fabulous gigs and we visited lots of places with them- and next week-end a rock concert for one of mytalented student's rock group in our field. A bit of madness and lots of fun- and they give us so much- even if I feel exhausted afterwards. Open heart and open house does it for me.

M0nica Mon 22-Aug-16 14:53:18

anni, you have answered the question obie asked on the previous page.

My sense of self is independent of the state of my body. I am whom I am.

annifrance Sat 20-Aug-16 11:00:47

well said monica. don't want to feel young - or old - just want to feel me.

peaceatlast Sat 20-Aug-16 07:41:15

Grannyknot, you are so lucky. I am such a light sleeper that I often wake up tired. Any noise at all and I wake up. So annoying. Ear plugs don't work for me.

Coupled with having to get up to go to the loo a couple of times each night, not good.

Grannyknot Sat 20-Aug-16 07:37:33

obieone I'm sorry, I just saw your reply to my post 're sleeping.

I wish I knew what the secret was, I would bottle it and sell it. I have always slept well, even as a kid. I say "I'm going to sleep now" and that's what I do. Boom! And I "disappear" and come back 7 hours later grin

stillaliveandkicking Fri 19-Aug-16 21:27:56

Im 54 this year and consider myself still young, my mum had a blue rinse by now. Im big on hair, nails and a bit of slap. Also recently (borrowed) and paid a small fortune to have my teeth done. Why not! Feel 40 again...and back out dating smile

cornergran Fri 19-Aug-16 19:04:57

Paddling I the sea and blowing bubbles - with or without the grandchildren.

grannybuy Fri 19-Aug-16 19:04:15

Looking at my shape in the mirror, fully clothed, from shoulders down only. Don't look at my face and hair because that would bring me back to earth!

Jawsnana Fri 19-Aug-16 18:04:59

Line dancing, which I do twice a week, playing with the grandchildren.

Gaggi3 Fri 19-Aug-16 17:58:29

I'm rather ashamed to say that it's when I go to hospital and see and talk to people so much worse off than I am. When I leave I want to run and skip like I did as a girl.

Brupen Fri 19-Aug-16 17:56:40

I have an MX5 and that really makes me feel young. (Image is probably ruined when I have trouble getting in and out !)
In my head I am only 45 but my knees and ankles tell me different in the morning.
Also the mirrors in our house are very cruel !!

peaceatlast Fri 19-Aug-16 16:43:58

I have had 3 of my grandsons aged 8 months to 7 years here this morning. Just listening to the older two interact and make jokes as well as have the expectation that grandma knows everything because she was a teacher makes me smile and try to live up to these expectations. This morning I was asked to go onto YouTube to find out how to make origami boats. They just know that I'll be able to do that and that I am not the kind of grandma who gives up on a challenge.

grandmaz Fri 19-Aug-16 16:29:36

for me its listening to the songs from the Sixties...I tend to put them on when I'm doing a batch cook for the freezer or something, so I get a really long run of all the songs which were the accompaniment to my teenage years - and they never fail to make me smile, sing along and boogie around the kitchen!

I can actually conjure up how I felt at the time...young and full of hope and excitement for the future! Definitely music which presses my 'rejuvenation' buttons! smile sunshine

Sheilasue Fri 19-Aug-16 16:14:14

what makes me happy is the fact I can get up and go out and enjoy the day, regardless of the weather as h often reminds me we got out f bed, some people can't do that.

inishowen Fri 19-Aug-16 16:04:29

Going to a Pilates class, having my hair done, going to the beauticians to have anything done!, buying a glossy magazine, dyeing my hair, all make me feel young. Actually i was at the hospital last week and the receptionist asked my date of birth. I told her, and she looked up and said "Gosh you're looking well on it". I was so pleased.

Jane10 Fri 19-Aug-16 15:23:33

I've never felt young sad!

Teetime Fri 19-Aug-16 15:16:44

cavaliermum good for you. My lovely neighbours who are both in the 80s have sold their camper van to buy an Mazda 5MX in a beautiful soft grey. They look great going down the road with the top down and are having so much fun is good to see.

For me nothing makes me feel young and since my daughter moved up north sadly nothing makes me very happy either I worry about her all the time. G & T makes me feel more relaxed but its a slippery slops so I am being careful.

wondergran Fri 19-Aug-16 15:05:59

Spending fun times with my little grandson and having romantic, intimate times with OH where we often feel like loved up teenagers.

fifeywifey Fri 19-Aug-16 13:07:36

For my 61st birthday my husband treated me and my two daughters to "Go Ape". It's an adventure area high in the trees involving zip wires, jumping into nets and negotiating various obstacles. We had an amazing time. Keeping up with my two daughters who are in their 30's made me feel young once more. Unfortunately the arthritis in my knees has got progressively worse so don't envisage doing this again for a while. I still cherish my Go Ape certificate.

cavaliermum Fri 19-Aug-16 11:57:40

Driving out car showroom

With new sports car

Pinkshoes26 Fri 19-Aug-16 11:26:18

I love being left in charge of my x4 young grandchildren. X2 in each family. It makes me feel young being in charge of the kids again!