Gransnet forums

Chat

Plastic Bags

(29 Posts)
Jennac Sun 21-Aug-16 09:30:19

Is it me? Or have other people found that since the free plastic bags were taken away, (and I am very happy about that). The standard of service has gone with them. You buy clothes and they are not folded, just virtually thrown at you, you are made to feel that you are wasting time at check outs when you are putting your goods away, Plus if you pop in a shop to buy something quickly, you leave with goods in your hand, but feel like a criminal.

Rant of the day/week/month

SueDonim Sun 21-Aug-16 16:39:54

Most of our rubbish is recycled nowadays so no bags required for that. We use one or two at most, biodegradable bags a week for anything destined for landfill.

overthehill Sun 21-Aug-16 16:03:03

Welshwife we to have carriers we bought from France in about 1998 from the Champion store. We use these in our caravan for taking our washing stuff over to the showers. Like you we fold them up properly, very good quality.

I must ask you all, what do you put your rubbish into. I use supermarket carriers for this purpose to line my under sink bin. Therefore, if I don't use them, I have to purchase bin liners. Is this saving the planet? What this does is give more cash to the supermarket instead and I am worse off, but bags are still being used.

As someone mentioned here, Sainsbury charge 40p for any number of carriers that are used for home deliveries. Our daughter shops this way, so she gives me all these surplus bags which in the main keep me going.

chicken Sun 21-Aug-16 15:58:40

I've used my own bags for donkey's years. There's one shop locally where an assistant ALWAYS says"Do you want a baaaag ?"in a long drawn out way even when you've got ypur reuseable carrier placed prominently on the counter.Another thing that worries me is the use of "paper" cups that can't be recycled. I'd hoped that Hugh F-Ws programme about it would have kick started a change, but in our local Waitrose, in spite of reuseable cups being on sale there, I've yet to see anyone (except me)using anything except the paper cups. I feel like tapping people on the shoulder and telling them about the environmental damage they'rd doing----but I'm too much of a coward.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 21-Aug-16 15:22:32

I think the trees they make paper from come from managed forests, and are fast growing. And paper is, of course, recyclable.

SueDonim Sun 21-Aug-16 14:26:28

I hate having a load of plastic bags in the house and have used my own bags for years and years. I used to get suspicious looks when I refused bags in shops but it's par for the course now. I'm happy to pay a charge for something special such as buying a wedding outfit. After the expense of that, 5p isn't going to break the bank.

BlueBelle Sun 21-Aug-16 14:14:18

I have no problem with my own bags I am hugely glad to see the demise of plastic I do agree it doesn't feel so nice with clothes but I always have a fold up clothe bag to pop them into separately so have never bought one since the ruling came in that would defeat the whole purpose ..... And wouldn't more paper bags mean more trees disappearing

Welshwife Sun 21-Aug-16 13:50:28

When we bought DH a jacket in Marks they gave us a cover/carrier thing which doubled up for ease of carrying - not made of plastic so they did not charge for it - why on earth I wonder did they not have one like that for you and your coat Pogs - seems ridiculous. I try and have a couple of their bags rolled up in my handbag when I am in UK and keep them for any clothing purchases so they are clean.
The supermarket I mainly use in France has charged for carrier bags for almost 20 years but they have always been a good quality. Now most French supermarkets have very substantial bags which are a good size and stand in the bottom of the trolley - they last for years. I am fanatical about folding them up and putting them inside one bag to be easy to grab when I go out. Also the freezer shops have great bags which cost up to €10 depending on size and style but they are worth the money - I use mine if we go out with a picnic too!

Beammeupscottie Sun 21-Aug-16 13:05:39

I can't think the Stores will like it forever, seeing people stuff their purchases into the big brown Primark carrier bag. They will then produce a paper bag for you!

nb. Have you tried the Primark towels. Amazingly fluffy and soft and so cheap.

Firecracker123 Sun 21-Aug-16 12:52:11

If I buy clothes or shoes I always buy a bag (only 5p whatever size) and try to reuse, but food shopping always take bags with me.

Penstemmon Sun 21-Aug-16 12:17:53

I have a mixed experience when shopping/service industries. Mostly service is friendly and efficient..which is what I expect but occasionally there is someone who is curt, uninterested in the job or even blatantly rude. Thankfully it only happens rarely! However shop assistants/receptionists etc. like the rest of us can have bad days, sad or worrying news etc. that can impact on their mood so I try to give benefit of the doubt on the first occasion!

POGS Sun 21-Aug-16 12:13:19

Whilst I understand and for the most part agree about the plastic bag scenario I do find I am increasingly irritated that shops have not provided alternative wrapping.

I find buying clothing a particular issue. For example I bought a winter weight coat a couple of weeks ago and 'once again' felt like a shop lifter carrying the blooming thing over my arm and out the door. It looked so suspicious as I bought it on the top floor, into the lift and from the back of the store to the exit. It must be a shop lifters dream not having to have goods bagged anymore.

Why can't stores such as M & S follow Primark's example which has had paper bags for years and yet their goods cost so little.

aggie Sun 21-Aug-16 11:35:12

Must be your area , here in Northern Ireland I always get things folded and carefully placed in my own bags , all with a smile and even a bit of chat

Jennac Sun 21-Aug-16 11:07:07

I totally agree with you all, and if one large outlet can supply paper bags for clothing I hasten to add, why not others? I always take bags with me when I go out folded up in my handbag. My gripe is there does not seem to be any manners/tolerance/patience with sales people, NOT ALL, just some, Maybe they are on peace work lol

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 21-Aug-16 10:54:28

Buying a new carrier each time defeats the object.

annodomini Sun 21-Aug-16 10:39:53

I willingly pay 5p for a carrier bag if I buy clothes from M&S or any other outlet. It's hardly a major sacrifice. However, if I 'click and collect', the item comes ready packed in a plastic bag which is not charged for.

felice Sun 21-Aug-16 10:15:02

DGS and I popped into our M&S food hall a few weeks ago I did not have any kind of bag with me and was prepared to pay.
I was surprised to find racks of free bags at the checkouts.
The ban on plastic bags has been in force for about 5 years here.
Although clothes shops can still give bags and I seem to be building a collection of C&A bags. Not really strong enough for re-use and do not quite fit my under the sink bin.

sunseeker Sun 21-Aug-16 10:00:08

I have always used my own bags for groceries, however, I do agree when buying clothes the shop should supply a paper bag.

hildajenniJ Sun 21-Aug-16 09:52:19

I think that a lot depends on the shop. Our local independent clothes shop has paper bags with handles (as in the old days). Tesco however just shove the clothes towards you and you have to fold them yourself. I bought a rather pretty blouse for myself from Tesco, didn't have a bag with me as it was a spur of the moment purchase, so I carried it carefully to the car, and hung it up on the little hook inside the door. They didn't even offer to sell me a bag on this occasion.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 21-Aug-16 09:45:45

Clothes purchases are quite different from groceries. Especially when buying presents.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 21-Aug-16 09:44:55

I have used a nylon roll-up bag for years now. Long before the bag ban was even a twinkle in David Cameron's eye. I hate a cupboad full of carrier bags. And I resisted a cute little dolly hanging thing to store them in.

Teetime Sun 21-Aug-16 09:41:17

If I buy clothes in a shop I tend to buy in Monsoon and white Stuff who have always used paper bags- other than that most of my purchase are on line. I do agree its all a bit of a scramble at the till. At out local M & S food they ask if you would like them to pack into your own bags which is nice.

As a by product the larger supermarkets are giving back some of the money they currently take on plastic bags as local 'grants'. The charity on which I am a Trustee has just applied to the Tesco scheme for a grant to renew the toddlers playground in the park so hopefully some good will come of it.

Jane10 Sun 21-Aug-16 09:40:50

Depending on the shop, some of the staff are quite apologetic about it. I entirely agree about paper bags btw.

Mumsy Sun 21-Aug-16 09:40:17

I shop on line with Sainsburys and theres a one off charge for bags of 40p no matter how many bags are used. I always have a shopping bag rolled up in my handbag to use when out shopping. Cant say that Ive noticed the service has gone downhill in the shops I go in, I hate shopping grin

Nannylovesshopping Sun 21-Aug-16 09:39:50

I am perfectly happy to use my own bags at supermarkets, but object very strongly to have newly purchased undies or indeed any other clothing pushed across the counter to me, heaven knows what has already been on said counter, why on earth can't clothes retailers use paper carriers, I know one major store does, why not all of them, and please don't let me start about about customer service, virtually nonexistent !

DaphneBroon Sun 21-Aug-16 09:39:44

Not me. How often must poor shop assistants hear "the planet is safe with me" as shoppers rootle around in their handbag for a nylon bag? And they smile every time (well , they smile to me, possibly AT me) smile
For spontaneous purchases I have a very fine nylon bag which rolls up into something not much thicker than a sausage and I keep it clipped inside my handbag, never, ever forgetting to roll it up and replace it. Immensely strong enough even for 6packs of dog food tins , bottles etc. Regular "trolley shopping" goes into those deep rectangular bags you can stand up in the trolley. I still get clothes from shops like Joules in rather nice heavy duty paper bags with ribbon handles - no charge.
I find it hard to believe how cavalier we used to be about sheaves of plastic bags at checkouts.