Gransnet forums

Chat

When you can't find the cause of a burning smell.

(11 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 24-Aug-16 22:23:41

Check the cat's tail!

We've just had a very loud and lengthy thunder storm. The dogs hate them but the cat doesn't seem at all bothered.

I got out the gas lamps and lit a couple of candles in readiness for the inevitable.

The electricity stayed on but we were alerted by a burning smell so when we couldn't find where it was coming from I blew out the candles.

That's when I noticed a small plume of smoke coming from the back end of our slumbering cat. shock

She's fine BTW.

phoenix Wed 24-Aug-16 22:34:32

Oh merlot poor pussmog!

Swanny Wed 24-Aug-16 22:51:02

OMG merlotgran how awful for you and your puddycat! I hope the dogs are ok but your cat - such a brave little lion!

Up to 6 years ago I always had at least one cat (not allowed where I am now living) and without exception they all detested thunder. Not over keen on it myself but at least the cats warned me it was on its way. Usually we all huddled together on the bed till it passed.

merlotgran Wed 24-Aug-16 23:04:58

She's such an amazing laid back cat she probably thought I'd lit a couple of joss sticks. grin

phoenix Wed 24-Aug-16 23:59:05

I could describe Action Cat Digby as "laid back" , but it would be more truthful to describe him as either very thick or a big fat lazy lump!

Ilrina Thu 25-Aug-16 00:11:20

Poor Kitty roastchicken treat for the puddy

POGS Thu 25-Aug-16 08:22:46

Sounds like a t.v advert for a new Yankee Candle essence merlot. grin

Seriously it could have been a different outcome so pleased he/she is OK.

Anya Thu 25-Aug-16 08:27:33

Poor puss! Hope she's suffering no long-term effects shock

annodomini Thu 25-Aug-16 09:27:19

It sounds as if you were more shocked than the cat, merlot. No doubt the singed fur will grow back and her looks will be unimpaired.

merlotgran Thu 25-Aug-16 09:52:30

Gives a whole new meaning to 'Putting the cat out!' grin

PRINTMISS Thu 25-Aug-16 09:52:43

We had a cat (she was as daft as a brush) who would insist on sitting close to our fire which had closed glass doors, she would nod off and her head gently go forward until her nose singed! We eventually brought out the fire guard we had had for the children.
Another (the mum) would also sit so close that her eyes dried up quite badly, and we had to take her to the vet. CATS!