Gransnet forums

Chat

Our artificial grass

(74 Posts)
Auntieflo Sat 27-Aug-16 17:52:27

Well, we've had it done, and are pleased with it. The lawn mower has gone as well as the scarifier, and the back aches, hopefully.
It is also our 55th wedding anniversary at the beginning of Sept, ? and a friend was asking whether it was a ' special' one, as in Ruby, Pearl etc. I didn't know, but looked it up, and lo and behold it is Emerald, and what have we got in our back garden, a beautiful 'emerald' lawn. Rather apt I thought. I could try and cut a small circle of grass as a ring, and wear it on holiday, perhaps not. ? Being of the waste not want not brigade, I have cut a semi circular mat to go on the outside step ?

LullyDully Sun 28-Aug-16 08:34:03

I am with you polenta on artificial plants, flowers and grass. Love to see the real thing, birds, worms, the lot even slugs. IMO

LullyDully Sun 28-Aug-16 08:35:01

Polenta........pollen grain!!!!!!!

tanith Sun 28-Aug-16 08:40:30

Why do people carry on spoiling someone's perfectly innocent post with backbiting and discord ? If you can't say something nice then stay quiet. I'm not surprised Auntieflo has not posted again she's probably upset her post caused a stupid ruk.

grannylyn65 Sun 28-Aug-16 09:16:15

Golly, what a todo about grass !!

Auntieflo Sun 28-Aug-16 09:20:28

Morning all. Just sat down with a brew and Oh my, what a can of worms has been opened ? (Can't find a worm) . We did think long and hard about replacing our grass, but did it for US and trying to future proof our home, for when we are old and decrepit ? . The garden has not been concreted over, underneath the new grass, is aggregate, sand and a membrane, and the grass has drainage holes in the base. The chaps worked like billyo, and did a good job in that searing heat Tuesday to Thursday evening.. We are pleased with the result and have lots if bee and insect friendly plants in the borders.???. Thanks for all the good wishes and encouragement from lots of GN's . Oh, and by the way, someone is having the off cuts for his teeny, tiny front garden, ( more gasps). Viewings can be arranged. grin

petra Sun 28-Aug-16 09:22:38

I would think Auntieflow has stopped reading. I would suggest that if anyone wants to tell her how lovely her 'lawn' looks, and to congratulate her on 55 yrs of marriage, pm her. I have, and I hope more do as she is probably upset by someone's posts.

rosesarered Sun 28-Aug-16 09:25:13

Just seen this thread.... You enjoy it Auntyflo and ignore silly comments.If more people did this instead of concreting/bricking over , then so much the better.Anyway, as others have said, as long as there are a few flowers/plants for bees and other insects to enjoy, it hardly matters.
Pollengran you need to have a bit of respect for other Gransnetters lives.

millymouge Sun 28-Aug-16 09:37:03

As was said on another thread there always seems to be someone who manages to upset others by going over the top with their opinions. I think Auntieflo was sensible and looking towards the future when they may not be able to push mowers around. I know we all have our own opinions, but please could we express them in a less aggressive way. It achieves nothing but upset people when some are so abrasive with their comments. Congratulations on 55 years of marriage and many more to come [flowers wine]

millymouge Sun 28-Aug-16 09:38:38

That should have been flowers wine sorry

Alima Sun 28-Aug-16 09:39:18

Love your latest post Auntyflo, brilliant use of emoticons!

Grannyknot Sun 28-Aug-16 09:43:30

You go, auntieflo what a brilliant response. Here are some flowers.

Jalima Sun 28-Aug-16 09:56:23

Happy anniversary Auntieflo and Uncleflo! flowers and wine (champagne actually, must be pink champagne)

Hope you'll 'bee' very happy with your new lawn nd the bees are happy with the flower.

Btw we have extensive lawns, lots of bee friendly flowers, hedges but not many bees sad
And it is hard work!

Jalima Sun 28-Aug-16 09:58:15

and, flowers
I'm sure you have more than one grin

Charleygirl Sun 28-Aug-16 10:07:41

I also forgot happy anniversary. I totally agree with you, there comes a time when one can no longer push a lawn mower around- enjoy your beautiful lawn- if it makes life easier- excellent and ignore some of the very nasty comments from one particular person. It is your life, you do what you like!flowers

tanith Sun 28-Aug-16 11:39:37

I too got carried away and forgot to wish you a Happy Anniversary Auntiflo and Uncleflo what a wonderful achievement wineflowers

Anya Sun 28-Aug-16 11:47:48

Yes flowers and wine

Alishka Sun 28-Aug-16 11:49:49

And I'm another who forgot the congrats to you both in my haste to champion the use of artificial grass where it's appropriate. So, wine to you both and best wishes for many more years together...praps for your 60th you can set a love seat on your lawn? Oh, and I like the use of the offcut on the step, too.Neat trick!

Auntieflo Sun 28-Aug-16 13:45:30

Jalima grin. Uncleflo is delighted with his new name!!

Mildred Sun 28-Aug-16 14:40:23

Happy anniversary to both of you enjoy your new lawn.

trisher Sun 28-Aug-16 14:56:07

Happy Anniversary, but I am afraid that your emerald lawn doesn't do it for me. Of course you are entitled to do what you like in your own garden, but looking at the full effects and weighing the options is important. I wonder if you read up about what is happening? www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jul/04/growth-in-artificial-lawns-poses-threat-to-british-wildlife-conservationists-warn
I wonder why so many people are determined to say it is OK environmentally when it really isn't?

morethan2 Sun 28-Aug-16 14:56:34

Wow 55 yearsflowers many many congratulations I hope you spend lots of Sunny days to share on your lawn

Greyduster Sun 28-Aug-16 15:04:00

Can only second all the others who have wished you both a very 55th Happy Anniversary! I am watching DH cutting our lawn at the moment - he would give his back teeth for artificial grass, but can't justify the expense.

Swanny Sun 28-Aug-16 15:24:22

To Auntie and Uncleflo Congratulations on your Emerald anniversary flowers wine cupcake

Congratulations also on planning ahead about how best to enjoy your garden sunshine

I inherited paving slabs in my front garden and have covered them with pots of flowers. At the moment a small lavatera hedge at one side is being well frequented by bees and the butterflies are mobbing the hydrangeas. My problem is bending to tend the pots so I will have to come up with some sort of staging for the heavier, hardy plants.

caz55 Sun 28-Aug-16 15:33:01

we have artificial grass my dogs love it as do the dogs we look after we dog home board .`its easy to keep clean watering can and eyes fluid. No mud for dogs paws or grandkids feet to bring in,. No moaning from hubby as he was forever raking and reseeding dead patches .
Our front garden however has real grass complete with dead patches and loads of flowers to keep the likes of Pollengran happy.

Ilrina Sun 28-Aug-16 18:31:40

well PG you do make me laugh. you say someone is getting personal, and your retort is " I don't like you either"!! How childish is that. My words are not worth printing? Well they wouldn't be would they because I say what I have observed here, which is that you are very dictatorial. As I said earlier I like a wildlife friendly garden too, and that is just what we have, however if at some time in the future we cannot manage it then things may change.

It is fine to have different opinions, really a forum would be terribly boring without that, but it may be better if you put your point accross in a less bossy, and childish, and less personal way.For example saying to Anya that you don't like her. I am guessing that you don't even know the woman? By the way I think my words are always worth printing, otherwise I wouldn't be here.