Gransnet forums

Chat

To Dunk or not to Dunk - that is the question

(74 Posts)
Teetime Sun 28-Aug-16 12:42:33

DH and I were discussing the Camilla Long article in the Sunday Times today where she berates the producers of 'Bake off' for setting up Mary Berry to tell Paul Hollywood off about dunking his Jaffa Cake in his tea. She told him ' we don't do that in the South'. Camilla Long asserted that it is a class rather than a geographical issue. I accused DH a lifelong southerner of dunking cake. He replied loftily that's only when it's stale (I don't give him stake cake) I wouldn't dunk one of those things - well I wouldn't eat one of those things'. What's your view of this terribly important subject?

Jayh Sun 28-Aug-16 19:16:42

I am as common as muck, me. I dunk digestives, tea biscuits and ginger nuts in tea. But dunking a Jaffa cake is going too far imo. Just not done, Paul. ?

annodomini Sun 28-Aug-16 19:40:43

My English granny, who came from quite a prosperous 'landed' background had no qualms about dunking biscuits, especially gingernuts. Scottish granny, who came from a very 'plebian' background was far too genteel.

Ilrina Sun 28-Aug-16 19:42:31

I dunk, but not cake. The reason I don't dunk cake is that I just don't fancy it :-)

Nelliemoser Sun 28-Aug-16 19:43:45

Not dunked bread yuk! My reaction is not down to manners. I just think bread dunked it would be horrible. That is to do with the texture of bread. It's good with ginger or rich tea or digestives . I have to admit I probably do it instinctively.

annodomini Sun 28-Aug-16 19:46:55

Bourbons dunked in hot chocolate - I don't do things by halves. grin

millymouge Sun 28-Aug-16 19:50:38

I agree a ginger biscuit is lovely dunked, everything else seems to disintegrate into your drink.

phoenix Sun 28-Aug-16 19:55:53

Many years ago my Mother had a penchant for dunking "stuck" biscuits in tea. They were 2 Rich Tea biscuits sandwiched together with butter shock

She was in her forties, so no excuse really!

merlotgran Sun 28-Aug-16 20:09:17

When I was growing up, Rich tea, Bourbons or Ginger biscuits could be dunked in tea but never coffee. Not sure why hmm

Fresh milk wasn't available so our hot drinks were made with evaporated milk which made the dunked biscuits even more delicious!

Deedaa Sun 28-Aug-16 20:54:57

Can't bear anything dunked in tea! I dunk biscotti in my cappuccino because that's what they're for. I wouldn't go as far as the elegant Milanese lady I once met on holiday who was crumbling biscuits into her Caffe Latte until she had a thick sludge which she ate.

numberplease Sun 28-Aug-16 21:27:56

Yuck!!

rosesarered Sun 28-Aug-16 21:41:40

Yes, ginger biccies demand to be dunked!smile

ginny Sun 28-Aug-16 22:41:36

My favourite would be custard creams or chic digestives dunked in tea or coffee. Nothing to do with north or south ( I'm a southerner ). Nothing to do with class, no idea which I'd be in.

DaphneBroon Mon 29-Aug-16 07:56:51

Thank goodness for a proper thread on the real issues of life.
Cardis were a relief from Brexit and this gets us back to where it is really at - forget Traingate, Corbyn, , Momentum, May even McDonnell - whew!
Yes I dunk, it is an art to get it just right so that you don't finish up with a soggy inedible mess at the bottom of your cup.
Needs practice too. smile

LullyDully Mon 29-Aug-16 08:08:45

I would.only dunk ginger nuts or digestives. But don't buy biscuits. I am from the south. But my grandad did drink tea from a saucer, through his moustach,so we.must be common!!!!! Fuss over nothing in a silly season that has been too busy to happen this year.

Angela1961 Mon 29-Aug-16 08:31:12

No a big biscuit lover but if I fancy one ( or six !) and have a drink and am at home then I dunk away and enjoy. Would do it away from home.

Barmyoldbat Mon 29-Aug-16 09:24:21

Yes I dunk, love ginger nuts and eat them because ginger is good for you!! Also been known to dunk croissants and kit kats. Do what ever you like a long as it doesn't harm or offend is my motto

sweetcakes Mon 29-Aug-16 09:26:12

When I asked my OH what he likes to dunk most he said 90% of biscuits are dunkable except Jaffa cakes and believe me he likes his biscuits and he's lived in the north and south. Me I like a hard biscuit to dunk such as a ginger or malted milk I can't stand it when the biscuit desolves in the cup or falls off midway between cup and mouth.
But never out only at home.

amber22 Mon 29-Aug-16 09:42:07

I think dunking looks disgusting, if any visitor did that in my house I wouldn't offer them biscuits/cake again so that I didn't have to see such an unpleasant sight

gulligranny Mon 29-Aug-16 09:43:01

Southern through and through, I always dunk biscuits of all kinds but not cake.

Enjoying this thread but - bread & butter dunking? Doesn't that leave a greasy film on the tea/coffee?

Disgruntled Mon 29-Aug-16 09:48:21

Hear, hear, Daphne!
Forget the healthy smoothie, I've just had to go down the road for a croissant, in the interests of Research.

Dharmacat Mon 29-Aug-16 10:01:53

My "Hyacinth Bucket" Mum would have had a fit if anyone "dunked" (upperly mobile working class northerner) but I admit to dunking the odd ginger biscuit - not very often and only when on my own. Looks like early conditioning of"what will people think" still remains.
Like many of you, try not to have bikkies in the house as I tend to scoff half the packet in one go.
How about mopping the remnants of sauce, gravy, soup from the plate with bread? Again Mum would have had a fit, but here in France it is the norm and when in (Rome) Paris etc ............. shame to waste delicious sauces and jus. My view is it makes the plates ready for the dishwasher!

Disgruntled Mon 29-Aug-16 10:23:52

Wow, croissant dunked in green tea = heaven and bliss! Must do more Research.

Lewlew Mon 29-Aug-16 10:30:43

In the US, there is a chain of donut shoppes called DUNKIN' DONUTS, which started in Massachusetts in the 1950-60s. My dad would buy a dozen plain ones. After a day, they'd get stale and my mother would then slice them in half like a bagel and toast them and slather with butter.

I can still taste them... the closest thing for me to that is a Welsh Cake. Rich and soft, no dunking needed! brew

NonnaAnnie Mon 29-Aug-16 10:44:15

I don't dunk as I prefer my biscuits crisp.

lizzypopbottle Mon 29-Aug-16 11:20:50

I'm very much northern, mum from Liverpool, dad from Southport, live in Northumberland. I dunk ginger nuts but only in tea. I wouldn't want to spoil a cup of coffee. We were brought up with a slightly ambivalent attitude towards dunking. My mum was OK with it because my grandparents did it. My dad secretly liked doing it but, coming from the rarified air of Southport, his mother disapproved although she was from a very lowly background indeed, by all accounts (nuff sed!) Anyway, I always thought my grandparents did it because it softened the biscuit and made it easier to eat. They always took their ill fitting false teeth out at every opportunity!
I'd never dunk cake! Surely great chunks would fall into your cup?