Gransnet forums

Chat

Role model

(6 Posts)
Pollengran Fri 02-Sep-16 22:09:44

Yes. My grandmother is my guiding light and I do try my best to be like her.

NotTooOld Fri 02-Sep-16 21:49:03

When I was young the term 'role model' had not been invented, so I never had one! In later life I have known a few people from whom I learned a lot or who influenced my life in some way so I suppose they were temporary role models. My DGD did inform me a while back that I am her role model which I found rather flattering if somewhat difficult to live up to.

Cherrytree59 Fri 02-Sep-16 18:50:28

TinyTwo yes I have lovely relationship with my 3 DGS. Although they are all very young they love to come to our home, as I did to my grandparents.

NanaandGrampy
Our grandmothers were indeed very wise.
The jobs that ladies such as our Grandmothers did
'Kept the wheels of industry well oiled'
How lovely to tell future Great grandchildren about your DG working in the Bank of England.

Aspiration is a great gift to pass on!

NanaandGrampy Fri 02-Sep-16 13:30:24

Definitely my grandmother.

She was firm but kind and oh so wise. I learnt a huge amount about life from her. About working hard to get what you want . To taking a kind heart over a pretty face anyday.

I remember her talking to my youngest daughter nearly 30 years ago. One of my Grans jobs was to scrub the floors of the Bank of England. A job she took great pride in. My daughter was saying how one day she wanted to be the head of the Bank of England and have her name on bank notes.

My gran was so proud that things had come so far that not only could a 5 year old little girl aspire to that but it was entirely possible.

I like to think it was people like my Gran who made that possible.

TinyTwo Fri 02-Sep-16 12:44:21

I don't know if I did CherryTree? My older cousin perhaps but I don't think that was particularly well-advised. She was a little daredevil in retrospect! I looked up to some of my teachers I suppose, respected my parents but as for one role model, not really. Lovely to hear you had such a good example and close relationship with your grandmother though. Are you quite close to your grandchildren too?

Cherrytree59 Fri 02-Sep-16 10:25:44

My maternal grandmother has always been my Role Model throughout my life.
Even now when problem arises her words are often in my head.
I can see her smile of encouragement and the nod her head in approval or understanding.
Did you have a role model as a child
Do you still have her/him or do no longer need one?
Maybe he/she actually turned out to be a bad role model.