Gransnet forums

Chat

Something I didn't know about DH

(41 Posts)
kittylester Thu 08-Sep-16 10:46:28

Following on from the 'how well so you know your partnerl?' thread, I gave discovered that dh has a fascination for building cranes. Apparently DSiL, who works in construction has been sending him photos on a regular basis.

Should I be concerned?confused

Tizliz Mon 12-Sep-16 13:37:03

grannypiper my OH does this as well. He has done some shuttering work on fancy buildings that we have to look at, not so bad until we had to examine a column in an underground car park. Knows how to give a girl a good time ?

POGS Mon 12-Sep-16 13:21:42

I have just found out mine cannot stand a white collar on any top or shirt that is not white. confused

I bought him two rugby shirts from Cotton Traders and he told me I know he can't stand white collars on coloured tops. I asked "since when". Him " forever".

News to me after 40 years of marriage. Every cloud has a silver lining I am £40 better off.

kittylester Mon 12-Sep-16 09:30:43

Dh didn't keep it a secret as he could see nothing wrong with it!!

DSiL is changing to a new company soon - yippee, different cranes!!

Esspee Mon 12-Sep-16 09:21:10

My exfiance bought a crane and omitted to mention it to me. A friend allowed him to park it up on his land when ex had perfectly adequate storage space in his business yard. Presumably he realised that I would have noticed it (40ft high!!)
Frankly a man who has secrets is not worth keeping. I dumped him.

Humbertbear Sat 10-Sep-16 12:10:35

Mine likes to sit in a cold hut and watch birds for hours on end. At least it gets him out of the house ....

annifrance Sat 10-Sep-16 09:24:41

Before we moved to France it was the tiny ball in tiny hole syndrome. Great, got him out the house and equipment didn't take up much space.

Now where we live in the back of beyond there is no tiny ball facility for kilometres. So now he collects ancient tractors, chain saws, farm machinery etc and plays with them. The property is littered with them. It makes us look French with all the abandonned vehicles. But it's the French that do this to us!! Spend my time trying to keep it under wraps so it doesn't look like the Darling Buds of May when we have clients. I manage to keep most of it out of the house. The Maire thinks we are quite mad when I talk to him about all the numerous sheds/barns that OH wants to put up and whether we have to have permission not to have permission (so French). Maire doesn't see anything wrong with the 'abandonne' look.

Son does the mini electro bits par exellence and the room which was promised to me when I visit is now spilling over with these minutae and into the sitting room. Don't now how DDiL puts up with it.

Have to admit that I cannot throw away even the tiniest scrap of fabric but at least they are colourful.

grannypiper Sat 10-Sep-16 08:47:13

Scaffolding ! i met a gorgeous scaffolder who's idea of a romantic midnight stroll was to take me on a guided tour of our village where he had 5 scaffolds up, i got a full technical and indepth rundown of each job. I still married him ! p.s he is also a skip diver, he just cant walk past a skip without dragging something out

mrsmopp Sat 10-Sep-16 00:47:44

Something I didn't know about DH? He goes shopping for clothes when the sales are on then hides the new clothes away without telling me what he's bought.
We are going on holiday next week and he is laying out all these clothes I've never seen. They are all the colors of the rainbow and nothing goes with anything else. All the clothes are past the date they can be returned. He had no idea what goes with what and thinks he looks nice in mismatched colours, , mixed patterns, dots stripes and tartans etc. He's genuinely baffled when I don't like the 'look'.
He is like a boy of five! Whatever can I do?
It was different when he was working, he knew what to wear for work...

rosesarered Fri 09-Sep-16 21:58:07

Not to me they don't! grin

Wobblybits Fri 09-Sep-16 21:05:05

I can't understand your problems ladies, all your husbands sound perfectly normal too me.

MaggieMay60 Fri 09-Sep-16 20:33:54

You are all so lucky that your OH only collect small things! Mine has a motorbike obsession, we now have 4 and of course they all have to go into the garage, and because that is now full of course he wants us to build another garage! Thank god we only have granddaughters otherwise there could be more bikes!hmm

CrazyDaisy Fri 09-Sep-16 20:33:04

I wish my DH had a love of tools and knew how to use them but I know more than he does and that's not a lot! DH's "thing" is a game called Ingress which is designed to get people away from their computers and outside in the fresh air. It involves using a tablet or phone and wandering around the countryside looking for "portals" and electronically zapping them or something. It's incomprehensible to me. I've had to make him promise not to spend too much time on it when we're out together, though I always make sure I have a book and my knitting with me. It seems to be a bit addictive!

TriciaF Fri 09-Sep-16 17:57:12

Jud and Crafty - I can hardly believe my husband isn't a oneoff! So glad to hear it though. He's retired now, but was a TV/electronics engineer and loved his job.
And as one of you said, he can sort out all practical problems, like the window washer on my car not working today etc.

VIOLETTE Fri 09-Sep-16 16:33:21

I no longer let him watch the QVC channel as we now have a cupboard full of bread makers, toasters (none of them toast the bread ALL round !!) ..smoothie makers, soup makers, vegetable cutting things, mandolins (not the musical kind !)all kinds of coffee machines (none are quick enough or tasty enough, including one that grinds the beans and then makes the coffee ....I suggested he just use my kettle and a jar of instant !) a no fat chip fryer (the last one burst into flames !), and other gadgets too numerous to mention ...and as for the shed it is full of lawn mowers (too heavy, too small, too big, etc !) strimmers, with or without batteries, hedge trimmers, electric, telescopic, plus many other objects. I have a set of various knives (I don't use any of the kitchen gadgets !) and a man who comes to cut the hedges and grassm paint the house, etc .....my husband objects to this, as no one does it right and why won't I let him do it (at 83 with poor vision and lack of balance on a ladder with an electric hedge cutter ???) ....perhaps I should buy him a magazine on cranes .......? we could use a crane to lift all these gadgets out of the house and garden .....

Me ? I collect paper ...my office needs shredding (yes, I mean the whole lot ! ) I;m not yet as bad as those OC Hoarders you see on tv ...there are times when I have a purge...usually when I KNOW I put it THERE but it has gone ??
I suppose I will have to jettison it if ever we do get our little retirement bungalow .....(would put a smiley here, but can't find square brackets on my AZERTY keyboard !! so you will have to imagine it !)

Craftycat Fri 09-Sep-16 12:48:12

Oh Trici & Jud - - I feel your pain! Every day we get little packages with small plastic & metal thingys & I have no idea what they are supposed to do. With my DH it is all things computer related- to be fair he does work in that line of business but all these gadgets. He buys them for me too & I have never had one that I found useful.
As a joke I bought him a self stirring mug for Father's Day ( from the cats) expecting it to be put in the study with all the other bits but he LOVED it. Took it to work & when it finally gave up from over use bought another one online.
Gadget mad!

Lupatria Fri 09-Sep-16 10:19:05

my guy has a tool fixation! everything that can be either plugged into the mains or, preferably, has a battery attached .................. drills, saws, nail guns, etc, etc.
to give him his due, he knows what he's doing with said tools and he's pretty handy well at least when he's got the time to come and do handyman stuff at mine.
however i've got a fixation with kitchen gadgets so i've not got a lot of room to talk!
or shall we just gloss over that.

maryhoffman37 Fri 09-Sep-16 10:00:17

My husband really likes cranes too! But his equivalent of handbags and shoes is books and CDs. I never have a problem with what to give him.

Alidoll Fri 09-Sep-16 09:56:33

Get him into Lego! I'm sure there is a crane technical Lego set and would keep him busy (and out of your way) for a while grin

Lilyflower Fri 09-Sep-16 09:56:18

Trains, planes, cars, logistics systems, car number plates. I think my DH is a bit on the spectrum but it keeps him happy.

Judthepud2 Fri 09-Sep-16 09:54:58

BTW my DH can fix anything! A quality that makes him indispensable despite the detritus.

Judthepud2 Fri 09-Sep-16 09:52:55

Oh Tricia mine does exactly the same as yours but I knew about it from the beginning as the contents of the packages and the related fiddling tend to be scattered throughout the house shock I have started playing the ordering online game now. Items to spoil my dog are delivered pretty well weekly.

One thing I didn't know about DH, but do now, is how much he adores DGS1! He misses him when he isn't around.

Wobblybits Thu 08-Sep-16 18:25:54

Some thing I hope my OH doesn't know about me is how much I spend on my hobbies, although as she does the books, I'm sure she could work it out.

Liaise Thu 08-Sep-16 18:12:52

Mine builds small steam trains in the winter. The next one will be a working model. He has been eyeing up our long hall with a view to running it! Definitely not.

shandi6570 Thu 08-Sep-16 17:36:40

Nothing to worry about, mine regularly reads a crane magazine, also made lots of excuses for why we needed a digger which is now marooned at the end of our garden as over the years other items have come along or grown and it will now take a crane to get it out again.

Hmm, reading this back I have suddenly realised that maybe this was a long term plan of his that I haven't stopped in time and maybe I should be worried.confused

TriciaF Thu 08-Sep-16 17:26:04

kitty I think you've revealed a new quality that men have, that we didn't know before and we women don't have time for.
My husband has an obsession with tiny little electronic parts that are supposed to improve the performance of various gadgets. He orders them online and he gets a parcel nearly every day.