Gransnet forums

Chat

Charity shops vs Car boots

(5 Posts)
shandi6570 Thu 15-Sep-16 16:29:15

Do you go to both, or do you prefer one to the other. I used to love charity shop shopping but they are not what they used to be and I don't find them as much fun these days. I'm still not sure about car boots as I've only been to one or two and find I feel awkward browsing and bargaining. Am I missing out? What do you think?

ninathenana Thu 15-Sep-16 16:45:25

I rarely use either. Boot fairs I find a chore unless I'm looking for something specific. It's the getting there at opening time (7.30-8.00) that puts me off.
I occasionally browse charity shops when on holiday.

Greyduster Thu 15-Sep-16 17:18:09

I hate charity shops, but DH loves them. I don't think I have ever found anything in a charity shop that I have felt remotely inclined to buy, but we had a rather nice one near us where DH frequently picked up good Harris tweed sports jackets that he favoured (as opposed to the expensive, made to measure one that resided unworn in his wardrobe (still resides in his wardrobe except now it doesn't fit him!) waiting for a suitable wearing occasion that wasn't work related. We do go to boot sales occasionally but they are usually not worth the effort. Sometimes there is a bargain. I missed a brand new fly rod one day because I couldn't make my mind up whether I wanted it or not. When I decided I did, it had gone. We came across someone selling a pair of Swift binoculars one day. They wanted £60 for them and if I hadn't had the exact same pair (which cost me six time that price) I would have snapped her hand off, because they were pristine, but £60 is not car boot money and everyone wants something for nothing.

Maggiemaybe Thu 15-Sep-16 18:14:21

I often nip into charity shops to see if they've any good quality toys for me to keep at ours for when the DGC descend on us. And I go to a twice yearly car boot sale at our local primary school for the same reason. I've staggered home with some good bargains from the boot sale - a Fisher Price garage much better than the ones on sale now, a huge box of Duplo, lovely books, a pirate ship complete with crew and cannons. Not so much from the charity shops, but I did once find a couple of new boxes of Playmobil and, on another occasion, a second pirate ship (so they can have battles!). I sometimes think I've more toys here than I ever had when our DC were growing up grin

When DD2 was getting married, I was charged with finding 120 mismatched china cups and saucers for the reception. I haunted all the local charity shops and boot sales for weeks and eventually managed it. The boot sales were by far the best place for this - I once got on the bus with a full 12 piece tea set, plates and all, which I think I paid about £6 for. I never bargain - I'm way too English for that blush We shipped them all off to the local hospice shop last month and apparently they flew off the shelves.

Nelliemoser Thu 15-Sep-16 20:00:36

ninathenana That is my reason as well with car boot sales. Add the queues to park and it's a Sunday wasted.