Gransnet forums

Chat

What's your dream Bake Off Reincarnation?

(37 Posts)
icequeen Thu 22-Sep-16 16:23:16

Or who would you like to see?
Or who do you think is likely to take over Bake Off?
I know many would want the original line-up to stay as is but who do you think could carry it off and make a success of it?

I think Miranda would be an excellent Mel/Sue option. And for the judges...anyone other than Paul. But I do like the Masterchef woman, Monica Galeti. What do others think?

LullyDully Sun 25-Sep-16 09:07:45

Cherish Finden is great but again a chef, not a home baker.....worlds apart from the essence of the programme. Baking for a family is not the same as baking for the Savoy.

merlotgran Sat 24-Sep-16 23:06:20

Cherish Finden is ghastly. Channel 4 is welcome to her.

Zorro21 Sat 24-Sep-16 23:02:28

Newspapers say Cherish Finden the pastry chef will replace Mary. She's the very fierce critical one from Singapore who has worked for Love Productions of Channel 4 before.
Sigh .....Mary was lovely. Won't be as good without her.sad

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 24-Sep-16 13:23:03

LullyDully apparently Lorraine Pascale is rumoured to have been approached as a replacement for Mary. She certainly has the right background and I think she would be a great choice.

carolmary Sat 24-Sep-16 12:54:25

We've always loved Bake-off in our house but we think that it has probably come to its natural end anyway. Time for a change maybe? Just saying.....

PamelaJ1 Sat 24-Sep-16 09:58:16

Danni you must forgive Jane Asher, would you want to be married to a man that dyes his hair that funny colour?
Janes husband could draw a cartoon of the loser as a consolation prize instead of a cake!

merlotgran Sat 24-Sep-16 09:52:35

Having watched, 'Extra Slice' last night I think Michel Roux Jr would be great alongside Mary Berry. He has a gentle sense of humour and would be much kinder with his criticism. I've had enough of arrogant, bullying judges on reality shows.

He also has all the necessary talent and experience.

Teetime Sat 24-Sep-16 09:22:22

I'd like to see something new with some new cooks and presenters. I like James Martin who has been suggested but I'm always afraid his cooking will land me in the intensive care unit with rigid arteries.

DanniRae Sat 24-Sep-16 08:52:48

What a wonderful description of The Great British Bake Off HildaW - I really enjoyed reading it. Surely the BBC still have all the elements to re-create the show - Paul Hollywood would not be missed - they just need to call it something else.
Any ideas? I suggest "The Great Bake Off in a Tent Competition"

DIORisme167 Fri 23-Sep-16 20:19:52

James Martin's name has been mooted. Not Sarah Millican please!! Can hardly understand a word the wretched woman says!!

HildaW Fri 23-Sep-16 20:19:18

The Great British Bake Off is.......a tent preferably in the rain, with Mary Berry wearing and H&M blouson jacket and Mel and Sue wearing those funny baggy jeans lobbing double entendres at each other. Its an UNITERRUPTED hour of pure daft escapism where people make inedible things using recipes none of us use. (they make much better stuff at home). Its about the mad cocktail of contestants who somehow all get along and sob whenever someone leaves. Its BBC at its daft best! Its warm cosy and just plain comfortable whilst Channel 4 has always been about 'pushing boundaries' and minority interests (not a bad thing but not when hosting a gentle cookery programme).
If BBC was a cake it would be a Victoria Sponge or a Lemon Drizzle - whilst Channel 4 would be a Lavender Panna Cotta!

KatyK Fri 23-Sep-16 19:19:29

Donal was great on Saturday Kitchen live. smile

shysal Fri 23-Sep-16 15:49:56

I am sorry that Paul is staying. I would like to see Donal Skehan, a judge from Junior Masterchef. He has a lovely twinkle in his eye and a gorgeous Irish lilt. As presenter I love the comedy of Josh Widdicombe, who is great on the Extra Slice programmes.

granjura Fri 23-Sep-16 15:12:51

Agreed- what a pompous so and so. I think I wrote before about what a friend of mine from Canterbury told me. They really don't like him there because he had loads of debts when his bakery there went bust- and even now he is really wealthy- he has never bothered to pay his creditors there- small businesses themselves.

To be quite honest, I am fed up with the same series, BAke Off, Strictly, the Voice, Xfactor, etc, etc - time for something new, please.

Luckygirl Fri 23-Sep-16 14:26:00

Paul Hollywood gets my vote for the person most in need of a "finger down throat" icon next to his name. What a self- publicising pillock he really is. Can't imagine how anyone can watch a programme he is on.

merlotgran Fri 23-Sep-16 13:57:10

The combined 'look at me' talents of Paul Hollywood and Nigella Lawson would make entertaining viewing.

specki4eyes Fri 23-Sep-16 13:49:15

I like baking but I never watch Bake Off on account of that slimey git Paul Hollywood. He came to the show with his Degree in stating The Bleeding Obvious. I've been following Mary Berry's recipes since she wrote the cooking column for Family Circle back in the 70s. It was an insult to her to have him lisping about nothing at her side. Please please please NOT...Nigel Slater/Jamie Oliver/Nigella/Jane Asher. What about Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall or that nice Irish woman (Rachel ???) or James Martin?
Mel and Sue can be pretty annoying too - interfering and trying to be funny, but not succeeding.
Thats my Grumpy Granny statement for today.grin

Ana Fri 23-Sep-16 12:37:42

Noooo! Not Alan Carr...

Zorro21 Fri 23-Sep-16 12:36:06

Shortlegs - ha ha ha - summed up in one !!!

PLEASE don't let it be either of them !

I would like Alan Carr or Gok Wan.

Shortlegs Fri 23-Sep-16 11:41:59

So long as it's not the sanctimonious Jamie Oliver or the shouty greengrocer from Masterchef I really don't mind.

LullyDully Fri 23-Sep-16 08:50:43

If they have to carry on, it musnt be a chef, more of a " home baker".So I do think Lorraine Pascall would fit the bill. She is also a lady as is Mary...if you get my drift. Her food is down to earth yet special. A presenter is trickier , Miranda would upstage everyone in the nicest way as would Jo Brand!!!!! Some of the women on An Extra Slice could do the job maybe.

Or just drop the whole thing and quit while they are winning.

Hilltopgran Fri 23-Sep-16 00:22:10

Another vote for Lorraine Pascal, really like her approach and she is very knowledgeable. Chanel 4 already have a presenter in Kirsty Alsop, I would much prefer her friendly approach to presenting to some of the other suggestions.

I have learnt some good tips watching the programme so I just hope they continue to share knowledge and entertain us.

Elrel Thu 22-Sep-16 21:58:53

Nigel Slater's down to earth approach would make a welcome change from Paul
Monica G is critical but not arrogant
Raymond Blanc would be charming and amusing
Jo Brand and Miranda Hart? Would the bakes be safe from them?

Irma Thu 22-Sep-16 20:51:01

I agree jinglbellsfrock (great name)

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 22-Sep-16 20:42:58

That the whole bloody lot goes up in a puff of acrid smoke.