Gransnet forums

Chat

Doh!!!

(22 Posts)
Wobblybits Thu 29-Sep-16 22:16:50

AND, another neighbour found one of them asleep in his bed when he turned in. Thank goodness all our neighbours were cat lovers, it was their cat flaps that allowed ours to wander in.

Wobblybits Thu 29-Sep-16 22:08:36

WE had two Burmese, they were always getting into mischief, stealing things etc. Our neighbour (different one) went 30 miles to the seaside only to find one of them still asleep on their back seat.

Alima Thu 29-Sep-16 22:01:06

One of our cats once brought a frog into the living room. Didn't know until it hopped across the video player and landed by my hand. Said cat had long since lost interest by then.

Wobblybits Thu 29-Sep-16 21:46:28

That reminded me that our Burmese cat got into our neighbours and he found it on the table eating his tea, oops.

grannylyn65 Thu 29-Sep-16 21:24:40

My friends cat delivered a bombay duck via cat flap!!

MaggieMay60 Thu 29-Sep-16 21:11:19

if I was adventurous I would have perhaps tried them Deeda as it was they went into the compost bin and we had a less healthier muffin.

MaggieMay60 Thu 29-Sep-16 21:08:33

grin

Deedaa Thu 29-Sep-16 21:02:50

The pears sound interesting - perhaps you could serve them up with a roast chicken grin

Elegran Thu 29-Sep-16 21:00:57

Dd had a cat which used to bring dead mice and lay them before her, presumably because he could see she was no use at catching them herself and needed feeding up. When she made it clear that she didn't appreciate the gift, he changed to bringing her dry crusts of bread. (These humans are such fussy eaters! Won't touch a nice succulent mouse.)

MaggieMay60 Thu 29-Sep-16 20:49:43

Did anyone come looking for it?

rosesarered Thu 29-Sep-16 20:45:49

Straight into the pot?

Judthepud2 Thu 29-Sep-16 20:43:24

Our male cats did hunt but they had usually done the deed by the time they returned to the house with the prey. One of the down sides of cat ownership.

Now I have a dog who has the hunting gene bred into her....but she brings back live prey in her spaniel 'soft mouth'. Here is one of them....still alive and clucking.

MaggieMay60 Thu 29-Sep-16 20:43:09

yes "judthepud" I agree, I have had a number of female cats over the years and only one male, and he was the only one that never bothered to hunt - well if he did, he never shared! He was also best friends with my other dog and used to curl up beside him to go to sleep! Both characters and sadly missed!

rosesarered Thu 29-Sep-16 20:39:46

Male cats do too, we always had cats, usually two at a time, always males and they all hunted.We often had mice in the house because of the cats ( cat-less friends couldn't comprehend how a household with two cats could have mice!) Cries of ' quick, catch it!' And ' there it goes, up the curtain!' And 'you missed it!' Reverberated around the house.??????????????????

Judthepud2 Thu 29-Sep-16 20:32:02

It seems that female cats have this urge to bring back prey to the home. DD2 has a cat who used to bring in lots of LIVE wildlife. Mice, birds, voles, rats and once a live snake! ? As her DH was often away on tour, she had to deal with these rampaging around her house unaided. Proved to herself that she was a capable woman!!

The cat is now a bit old and prefers to wait for the food to be provided.

MaggieMay60 Thu 29-Sep-16 19:48:55

she managed to get one in with out me noticing one day, I only realised it was there when I ran out from behind the gas fire. it is just as well I am not scared of them, I just worry that she may bring one in that is pregnant and then I will be over run. And she expects me to be pleased!!

Greyduster Thu 29-Sep-16 19:44:34

Me too. The living room looked like a battleground when we finally caught the wretched thing, but we laughed like drains at the ridiculous lengths we had to go to! The cat just sulked!

grannylyn65 Thu 29-Sep-16 19:42:52

???

MaggieMay60 Thu 29-Sep-16 19:36:26

She is always bringing them in, I live in a bungalow and I have to keep windows only open tiny bit as once she came in with one and jumped on my bed with damn thing. Really feel cheesed off about it in the summer when I would love to have them open wider.

grannylyn65 Thu 29-Sep-16 19:29:34

Had similar experience with mouse!!!

grannylyn65 Thu 29-Sep-16 19:29:02

You made me ???

MaggieMay60 Thu 29-Sep-16 19:25:59

I have just had one of those days! I got up to find the cat in the lounge with a live mouse. Cat saw me and took her eyes off the mouse, which promptly ran under sofa. So I picked up the end of the sofa to allow the cat to catch the mouse, lost grip on the sofa, which landed on the cat, she was okay but was now not interested in trying to catch the mouse. Meanwhile, in comes the dog and seeing the cat gets really excited and knocks vase of flowers off nearby side table, this ends up all over carpet. Finally managed to catch the mouse myself by throwing sofa blanket over it! Send all animals packing outside whilst I clear up. Later decide to get on with baking cakes for coffee morning and whilst bashing the pecans for the muffins I managed to bash my fingers as well. The last straw was when I cooking our evening meal I had some pears that I was going to poach in the oven for pudding and I liberally sprinkled chicken seasoning over them instead of cinnamon! I have given up now and am just going to sit her and not move cos nothing else can go wrong can it???