Gransnet forums

Chat

Sting's children "on the breadline"

(18 Posts)
Eloethan Fri 14-Oct-16 13:23:44

Sting has said that his children are struggling to "put bread on the table" because it has become impossible for younger musicians to earn a living.

I have sympathy for musicians and artists who find it hard to make a living but Sting has a £185 million fortune which he says his six children do not and will not benefit from.

I understand those with immense wealth being worried that if they make life too comfortable for their children they may not be motivated to do anything with their lives. But surely most parents who had the means and whose children are making some sort of effort to support themselves would at least make sure that they had a basic standard of living? Unless he is donating most of his money to charities, what is the money for? What is wrong with helping out your children, relatives and friends if you have the ability to do so?

Ana Fri 14-Oct-16 13:27:33

And if he's determined not to help them at all, perhaps they should be considering other forms of employment.

Surely most young people starting out in any of the arts have to find ways of paying the rent while waiting for their 'big break'.

merlotgran Fri 14-Oct-16 13:28:13

If they can't make it as musicians they should try something else.

How many talented drama students have given up on the idea of a career in acting because they can't get work?

DaphneBroon Fri 14-Oct-16 13:32:04

I am snivelling into my Kleenex.
[cynical] emoticon.
They should try looking at REAL poverty. angry

Jayh Fri 14-Oct-16 13:36:19

It has always been difficult for young musicians to make a living until they get a break. Maybe his kids are not as talented as he was. It sounds like he is not using his influence to promote their career but surely they are able to benefit from the bank of Mum and Dad like other youngsters of their generation.

Jalima Fri 14-Oct-16 13:37:03

Oh, poor little starving kiddiewinkles
Should we start a Crowdfunding appeal?
It's so hard to become get work in acting etc when your parents are famous - as Emilia Fox said

Or should I direct my sympathies towards my own very talented DC (now teaching)

Or perhaps towards the children of Aleppo, Sudan etc?

POGS Fri 14-Oct-16 13:40:54

Welcome to the real world Sting.

Honestly 'put food on the table'.

I am surprised given his music connections.

Jalima Fri 14-Oct-16 13:43:26

If he can't afford to keep his children why did he have six?

All struggling musicians? Surely one or two of them have other ambitions?

TriciaF Fri 14-Oct-16 16:26:17

I think he's a typical Geordie - "I came up the hard way, and so must they" etc.
His father was a milkman.

KatyK Fri 14-Oct-16 16:33:40

I see his point about making them find their own way. But on the breadline? Really? I think any parent would help a child who was struggling to put bread on the table,rich or not.

Ana Fri 14-Oct-16 16:35:24

Why has he announced this anyway?

I think we can safely assume that he wouldn't see any of his children homeless or hungry if it came to it, so it's a non-story.

Their mothers are probably rich in their own rights anyway - Trudie Styler certainly is!

Jalima Fri 14-Oct-16 17:45:33

TriciaF presumably his dad could put milk on the table if not bread grin

Charleygirl Fri 14-Oct-16 17:50:11

There are different breadlines. There was a woman in the newspaper recently divorcing her husband and could not possibly manage if given 3 million. I could cope remarkably well I think.

trisher Fri 14-Oct-16 17:57:37

According to the Daily Mail he is hard up too. www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3700510/Why-Sting-s-reduced-singing-weddings-Trudi-s-spending-legendary-money-running-went-wrong.html Nice house anyway and presumably if his kids came home he wouldn't throw them out and might even feed them

Jalima Fri 14-Oct-16 17:58:46

Bread and milk?

Oh dear, I do wonder if we ought to have a whip-round out of our pensions

Jalima Fri 14-Oct-16 18:03:10

ha ha, followed the link:

Indeed, Sting, 64, seemingly made a packet for just half an hour’s singing. A well-placed source indicates he would expect to receive a cool £1 million, plus all travel and band expenses

Only weddings of the ultra-rich then, not a reception in the local village hall.

trisher Fri 14-Oct-16 20:06:26

Maybe that's why he thinks his kids are hard done to, nobody wants to pay them a million.

thatbags Fri 14-Oct-16 20:23:42

What father watches his kids starve? I simply don't believe his claim. I think he's exaggerating.

And if there is some truth in the story then I echo what others have said: they should think about trying some other kind of work.