Gransnet forums

Chat

Is anyone able to recommend a good TV drama series from the past please?

(82 Posts)
Flossieturner Sat 22-Oct-16 21:25:29

My son has just bought be a Kodi box, so I am watching all the old Bake Offs, Brothers and Sisters and Mad Men.

Has anyone else any favourite series that I might have missed.

NanKate Tue 25-Oct-16 21:48:32

Jayh I too am a tennis fan. I downloaded a Eurosport app free then buy in a month of tennis when I want it at a cost of about £6.99. If the Tennis is on Sky I use my Nowtv box and buy in a day, week or month. So I virtually have year round tennis at cheaper price price thatn a contract with Sky TV and I haven't had to instal a satellite dish.

blue25 Tue 25-Oct-16 18:31:15

Six Feet Under
Mad Men

nigglynellie Tue 25-Oct-16 16:34:35

For my last birthday DS gave me the complete Dads Army. It never fails to make me laugh and will cheer me for the rest of my life! Family at War, Secret Army, Bergerac,Poldark, round one!!The Pallisers. Anyone remember No Hiding Place? It was a long time ago, but I loved it.

Jayh Tue 25-Oct-16 16:24:26

I have got a Leel box which is similar, I think. Yes you can get all these programmes and films. Time to get rid of some of Skye. My little box gives me most of what I watch but not so good for live sport and I do like to watch tennis.

DAncer66 Tue 25-Oct-16 14:27:09

Linsco56

Shogun (mini series)
The Thorn Birds
Brideshead Revisited
Tutti Frutti

Great choice. Loved them all. flowers

Alima Tue 25-Oct-16 07:09:37

I am not entirely sure NanKate but you can get them from Amazon. I am going to get one for DH for Christmas as our Freeview recorder box is up the creek. We will work out what to do with it then! (In the blurb it says you can watch sport too. He will be in his element, doesn't really matter what kind of sport!)

NanKate Tue 25-Oct-16 06:41:43

What is a Kodi Box please ?

Spangles1963 Tue 25-Oct-16 01:07:42

My favourites were:-
Upstairs Downstairs
All Creatures Great and Small
Tenko
Bouquet of Barbed Wire
Shine on Harvey Moon
The Duchess of Duke Street

mrsmopp Mon 24-Oct-16 22:32:55

Is this real?
You get a Kodi box and get access to all these programmes?
Surely you have to pay for what you watch? It seems too good to be true doesn't it!
Where do you get a kodi for £30 please?

GrammaM Mon 24-Oct-16 22:26:05

The original Poldark or A Horseman Riding By or the Chamomile Lawn

Flossieturner Mon 24-Oct-16 21:31:34

I had never heard of Kodi box but it only cost about £30. You attach it to your TVs and you can watch thousands of TVs programmes and Films. If, like me, you hate modern tv and films it is great. Especially now the winter is coming. I am slowly mastering it but I am a techno numpty I usually ask OH.

I watched Florence Foster Jenkins the other day, it was hilarious. I had intended to see it at the cinema.

mrsmopp Mon 24-Oct-16 19:02:47

Cathy Come Home was repeated on TV quite recently. It was exactly as I remembered it. It led to the formation of the charity Shelter.

Alima Mon 24-Oct-16 15:33:04

.....Big Deal and Growing Pains he did with Sharon Duce.

Alima Mon 24-Oct-16 15:29:34

Wonder if they do any of the old Armchair Theatre/Play for Today stuff. Would love to see Cathy Come Home again. I must look into getting a Kodie.
What about the drama series that Ray Brooks used to be in? He often used to work with the same actress whose name I have forgotten. Talk amongst yourselves while I have a delve.....

Tegan Mon 24-Oct-16 15:22:44

DON'T watch Cold Lazarus though shock....

mrsmopp Mon 24-Oct-16 15:18:11

Remember Dennis Potter?
Pennies fron Heaven.
Blue Remembered Hills.
The Singing Detective.

Jalima Mon 24-Oct-16 14:21:22

tiredoldwoman All the Rivers Run is a lovely book.
I have read others by her, but that is the best one imo.

I missed the series on tv - perhaps I should get a Kodi box whatever that is hmm

ladycatlover Mon 24-Oct-16 13:45:16

Oooo, another vote for Northern Exposure! And Clavdivs (I Claudius) may be gory, but it's just fantastic - Derik Jacobi is totally fab, and as for Brian Blessed as Augustus and the wonderful Sian Phillips - just wonderful TV!

Morse and Lewis are getting repeated on ITV3 currently - really enjoying them. And Wycliffe. Recently was laid up in London with diverticulitis, sleeping on the floor at DD's (She did very kindly offer me her bed, but seeing as we ended up staying 2 weeks instead of the single week planned I felt it would be too mean to take her and SiL up on the kind offer), and really enjoyed having a detective fest of stuff I'd missed first time around. Kept me sane between trips to the loo (sorry TMI!). Frost is quite good too.

tiredoldwoman Mon 24-Oct-16 13:38:02

We used to love All The Rivers Run . A book by Nancy Cato made into a series about a paddle boat on the Murray River in Australia .

JackyB Mon 24-Oct-16 11:54:12

I really loved Northern Exposure. It's American - can you get those too?

Jayh Mon 24-Oct-16 09:58:54

For a good laugh....Chewin' The Fat.

LottieSweetpea Mon 24-Oct-16 09:56:36

Miss Marple

BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Sun 23-Oct-16 23:24:04

I would love to re-watch Family at War it starred Barbara Flynn as the daughter.
I have all Duchess of Duke st on VHS tape ( must buy a second hand player ) also a lot of Upstairs Downstairs. The Cedar Tree was also very good which I think starred Philip Latham who was also in The Pallisers. Nothing better on a cold winter afternoon when you have no better offer.

LadyGracie Sun 23-Oct-16 23:16:12

Take the high road.
Sons and daughters
General hospital

hildajenniJ Sun 23-Oct-16 22:49:17

If you're into that sort of thing, what about Star Trek ( all the different series). Stargate SG1. I'm re-watching them on Netflix. Captain Kirk is a real blast from the past.