Gransnet forums

Chat

Hidden chocolate

(59 Posts)
thatbags Fri 11-Nov-16 08:31:41

I have hiding places for chocolate. With a female teenager in the house, one needs to; I can't be the only one who ate cooking chocolate in my teens when there was nothing else, and who still got blamed by my younger brothers (the blighters!) for snaffling mum's chocolate even after I'd gone to university. They snaffled my dad's brandy as well; he used to win snooker tournaments and the prizes were often alcoholic but he couldn't drink alcohol while he was on phenobarbitone (sp?) to prevent fits after a brain op. Blighters, as I said. Nice blighters wink

Anyway, where have I hidden that bar of Oreo chocolate? I've decided I don't actually like it and that Minibags can have it after all.

Flossposs Tue 15-Nov-16 20:21:26

Real hot-chocolate!

grannypiper Sun 13-Nov-16 16:52:55

You will fid at least one bar in each of my handbags, it is always such a treat to come across one

Zorro21 Sun 13-Nov-16 13:06:37

Teetime, I'm doing that NHS 12 week healthy living thing too - that's why I was drawn to this chocolate thread. It does work, though I've lost a stone. Kept away from chocolate mainly though.

Judthepud2 Sun 13-Nov-16 09:12:22

Pamish grin

Tennisnan Sun 13-Nov-16 05:47:23

Like the girl in Jacky's office, my husband can sniff out any chocolate anywhere and any other tasty baking ingredients. No good hiding it. So annoying when I finally get round to making choc/pistachio/crystallised ginger bakes, they've gone! ps he leaves the empty packet/paper tho'?

rosesarered Sat 12-Nov-16 22:25:57

This thread has really amused me ( and yes, I do have an emergency bag of Maltesers tucked away) as Mr Roses polishes off any choc left lying around.In spite of insisting that he doesn't have a sweet tooth! In fact, he has a full set.grin

yogagran Sat 12-Nov-16 20:46:28

I must confess that I ate most of the stash of "trick or treat" chocolates before Halloween even started blush

GrammaH Sat 12-Nov-16 20:37:01

Not usually that fussed about chocolate & unopened bars of 80% live in the baking cupboard BUT dear husband adores Nadyia's chocolate icing - 50% butter, 50% dark chocolate...OMG, it's amazing, can't leave it alone & I'm supposed to be dieting!

Pamish Sat 12-Nov-16 19:54:18

Chocolate lives in the fridge, no problem, one square a day for medicinal purposes.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I have hidden my netbook? I put it somewhere when I was going away for a bit. It will turn up when all the software is redundant.

whitewave Sat 12-Nov-16 18:55:47

I've bought a box of chocolates for Christmas. Now all I keep thinking about are the chocolates.

Madmartha Sat 12-Nov-16 18:52:31

I'm a sucker for Minstrels and can't bear the thought of DH or DGD diving into the packet. Hiding places change when they're discovered - the latest is an old handbag in the hall cupboard. I decant 6 at a time after tea, and hide them under my cushion, sliding them out one by one when no-one's looking. Yum yum

BillieW Sat 12-Nov-16 18:37:42

I keep my chocs under the couch, they are mine, as hubby gets his own presents.
He would eat a box a night if he had the option! Whereas I do share equally but only when I want to eat them I am not a chocoholic, never have been, and that would explain why we are only half way through a box I got last Christmas. With one more from last year to go!
When I get too many boxes I tend to take them to other people when we visit for dinner! Most if not all of my friends n family are chocoholics, so they buy them for me!

Nanna58 Sat 12-Nov-16 16:56:43

I keep those very same rice cakes in my car, handy for a journey and my DH doesn't find them so easily! My chocolate downfall is chocolate with sea salt, lovely!

Tegan Sat 12-Nov-16 16:20:26

I'm the same with chocolate. I now buy rice cakes with chocolate on the top from Aldi. You get three packets of 4 so I just open one lot of 4 at a time [if they were all in one packet I'd eat the lot]. There isn't a lot of chocolate on the top so you get a chocolate fix without eating an awful lot of chocolate.

Funnygran Sat 12-Nov-16 15:41:59

I'm not a one square person so consequently hardly ever buy it or I wouldn't be able to leave it alone. Occasionally I feel a real need for something sweet so have to root through the cupboards for any sweets which the grandchildren have forgotten about. I have also had salty liquorice sweets bought on holiday and they are absolutely addictive in our house!

Morgana Sat 12-Nov-16 15:20:07

Also addicted to wine gums

Morgana Sat 12-Nov-16 15:19:22

Also addicted to wine gums!

Morgana Sat 12-Nov-16 15:18:45

Amazed at how much self control you all have! I buy dark chocolate as I can't stop eating the milk. Keep it in fridge
Can't eat chocolate in the morning as otherwise get migraine.

Synonymous Sat 12-Nov-16 14:44:27

Persistentdonor there are better things than chocolate for me nowadays as I don't have such a sweet tooth as once I did. I particularly love nuts and my downfall is the nuts and seeds granola I make for myself and keep in a box in the larder. I increased the amount of coconut shavings in the recipe as that is my favourite part of it and I sprinkle it on my breakfast fruit and yoghurt. It is high calorie so I have to be careful but I do have some when I feel the need of a nibble.
I really must stop thinking about it! blush

miep Sat 12-Nov-16 14:40:52

With me it's chocolate digestive biscuits. I have three a night, no more, no less. My lovely carer buys them for me, so I buy her Milky Bars and fill up her sweetie jar!

Marydoll Sat 12-Nov-16 12:44:54

When I was teaching, I used to hide my chocolate and Pepsi Max in boxes of cables and IT equipment. Staff knew I had a stash, but never thought of looking in there, as they hadn't a clue what the items were for. The other place was a drawer in a filing cabinet, marked "Confidential". When I became ill and had to suddenly retire, the ICT technicians and staff kept finding my stash in various boxes. Needless to say, they never returned it, just scoffed the lot..

HellsBells Sat 12-Nov-16 12:35:43

Always hid "stash" from my 6 children - moved hiding place around as they became skilled at finding it. Unfortunately often forgot where I had hidden it until some months later

Sparkyju Sat 12-Nov-16 12:12:11

Synonymous, I agree about the menopause - I used to crave chocolate unbelievably badly for a couple of days each month. Now I don't crave it and rarely eat it. There has to be some advantages.

henetha Sat 12-Nov-16 11:17:03

I thought I was the only one with a secret chocolate stash!
I started it years ago as a protection from visiting children and grandchildren. A small amount of chocolate daily is vital to my mental wellbeing!

MaryXYX Sat 12-Nov-16 11:12:45

I was a bit confused by the title as "stash" usually refers to marijuana. I don't hide that stash anywhere as I don't have one! I live alone so I don't need to hide my chocolate. I normally eat 50 g a day but I don't have many luxuries so I don't feel guilty about it.