Gransnet forums

Chat

Walmartians

(29 Posts)
Beammeupscottie Mon 14-Nov-16 14:28:57

If you ever felt bad about yourself, look here.

beartales.me/2013/01/14/the-latest-crop-of-walmartians/

NanaandGrampy Tue 15-Nov-16 20:08:07

Been going to the states for the last 20 years and Walmart is usually on the list . They have some great deals but I've never seen anyone like those depicted. It's just a supermarket like any other in my opinion.

Maybe these photos are from much more deprived areas?

morethan2 Tue 15-Nov-16 19:41:24

Jalima I hope I wouldn't have laughed at a serious fall. Have the broken bones healed? I hope so.

ffinnochio Tue 15-Nov-16 16:03:47

Been in the States recently. Went to Walmarts. Nope, didn't see anyone dressed like those depicted. Needed to visit a GN forum for that sad
#photoshopped

Candlefran Tue 15-Nov-16 15:51:03

If that's all people can get out of the internet, perhaps it's a pity the internet was ever invented.

Teetime Tue 15-Nov-16 15:38:47

I've always felt very uncomfortable about those random shots of passing public used to illustrate articles about obesity one the news. It must be terrible to be watching the news and see yourself used as an example.

As for these photographs they don't allow these people and they are real people with feelings, any dignity or privacy.

Jalima Tue 15-Nov-16 15:34:44

Is this American - because I have shopped in Asda (which was a Walmart but they seem to have lost the name and kept Asda to reassure people that yes - they still are Associated Dairies hmm) and never seen anyone dressed like that.
They could be photo-shopped as someone suggested.

Nelliemoser Tue 15-Nov-16 14:52:15

Shanma
Unfortunaley ASDA is now part part of the Walmart empire.
However I suspect that they do have to obey UK employment laws.

Jayh Tue 15-Nov-16 13:55:11

We don't know the life stories of the people on these links. Are we really being invited to laugh at them? Surely we are better than that
I haven't looked at the links but I have seen similar ones before now so I know what to expect. I don't think the OP intended to be disrespectful but there is another way of viewing these images with compassion rather than scorn.

Nelliemoser Tue 15-Nov-16 13:04:13

It is not really acceptable to target individuals. Walmart is a dreadful employer but individuals should not be exploited.
I do strongly suspect some/many of these images are down to Photoshop.

This is begining to sound more and more like the start of the Trump era. Set them up with people to hate the poor.

We have had conversations on here before about British people shopping in their night clothes.

Seriously, while Wallmart are probably exploiting staff and customers they should bring in minimum dress codes. as should our supermarkets do.
Many eating places here and abroad seem to have no shirt no meal rules.

Jalima Tue 15-Nov-16 12:06:22

morethan2 you may have laughed at me then, when I did that (but I did break a bone sad)

morethan2 Tue 15-Nov-16 12:04:37

I've seen this type of post before and they always make me feel really uncomfortable. I don't think any of us have any right to ridicule people and worse still publicly. We don't know anything about their lives or history. I feel as if I'm invading their privacy. I know how upset I've been when somone posts an unflattering picture of me on Facebook etc. But that's just my opinion. I'm not good at laughing at people, well only those who fall arse over tit

Jalima Tue 15-Nov-16 11:11:19

I thought it was in bad taste and only looked at one or two
(but can't help saying - if I was that obese I would not wear clothes like that)
sorry if that's in bad taste too.

janeainsworth Tue 15-Nov-16 10:47:03

Speak for yourself luckygirl

Luckygirl Tue 15-Nov-16 10:09:57

We all have a bit of the voyeur in us and it is hard not to raise an eyebrow at all this. But one lot was enough for me! smile

Im68Now Tue 15-Nov-16 09:09:27

Can't agree with certain posters, I find pictures of refugees upsetting but the pictures of Walmart shoppers disgusting, Sadly, its a reflection on life.

DaphneBroon Tue 15-Nov-16 08:36:25

I agree with janea and eloethan there is a nasty voyeuristic not to say cruel streak in ridiculing people in this targeted way. One glance is more than enough but to take a series of photographs like this is just distasteful.

janeainsworth Tue 15-Nov-16 08:30:37

Yes, I have been in several Walmarts.
It's not very different from Tesco.
I agree with eloethan that going round taking photos of clinically obese people who are probably very poor as well says more about the photographers than anything else.

grannypiper Tue 15-Nov-16 08:21:11

OH MY

Eloethan Tue 15-Nov-16 00:54:08

Are these eccentric people exclusive to Walmart? Perhaps exhibiting photos like these demonstrates a need in some to dispel their own insecurities by ridiculing others.

Shanma Mon 14-Nov-16 23:53:02

Really sickening. I am sitting here with my mouth open in disblief, thinking YEUK, and yet I still have to see the next one( Why am I doing that??)

I would never set foot in a Walmart. would anyone else here?

Beammeupscottie Mon 14-Nov-16 16:30:58

beartales.me/2013/09/03/amazing-walmartians-gallery/

A few more, if you have the stomach.

I find them hilarious but at the same time sad. Is it any wonder, as an example, that the Muslims despise Western Culture as disgusting.

Ana Mon 14-Nov-16 15:57:58

Omg that last one...shock

ninathenana Mon 14-Nov-16 15:46:27

Images you will never be able to "unsee"
shock

JackyB Mon 14-Nov-16 15:42:14

Utterly gross.

hildajenniJ Mon 14-Nov-16 15:31:58

"There's nowt so queer as folk."