Gransnet forums

Chat

Thank You to....someone?

(33 Posts)
Shanma Fri 25-Nov-16 00:02:02

Hello,
I read a thread here about maybe a week ago, cannot find it now, but somewhere in that thread somebody mentioned " Future Learn". I had a google, and was amazed at the choice of courses one can take, and seemingly free.

I have signed up and started a Digital marketing course for beginners. I write little E Books and publish on Amazon Kindle, they sell only at a trickle, but this with no promotion at all.

I also like to make bags and purses, which I think alot of Ladies on GN probably do too, so I thought it would be fun to have a simple website instead of selling them on Ebay.

I am hoping the Digital marketing Course will help me with both of these things, but if not, it will at least give me something to keep the grey matter active, and should be fun.
So whoever it was that posted...You have my heartfelt thanks smile

Shanma Sun 27-Nov-16 00:04:12

I am still enjoying my course too, although it is early days, but I am excited that I have had several likes already, and a follower!!

I feel like messaging the follower and saying don't follow me I always get lost smile

GrandmaKT Sat 26-Nov-16 23:56:32

I heard about Future Learn on here earlier in the year and told DH about it (still working full time myself so no time unfortunately). Well - it's transformed his life! He's very his comments on various threads) - so much so that I much into technology and was getting a bit frustrated with lack of like minded people to talk to since retiring. He has done all sorts of courses on IT, Project Management,Smart Cities and also things that he had never tried before such as Graphical Art. He sometimes has three on the go at once! He's always chatting to his "followers" (people who follow sometimes feel I'm at the back of the queue! Wouldn't have it any other way though, another happy (third party) user of Future Learn!

Tallyann1 Sat 26-Nov-16 23:35:56

Didn't know about FutureLearn.....Thank you!!

Nanna58 Sat 26-Nov-16 20:34:56

Am currently taking a Futurelearn course in paediatric first aid, brilliant course, and free, will be looking to take more.

Shanma Sat 26-Nov-16 20:05:27

Antonia, and lew Lew I have sent you both a private message as suggested. smile

Ana regarding the courses I put my real first name and the initial of my Sirname. You can tick a box so that only those doing the course can see it, it wont come up in a general search. I wouldn't worry about that too much, no e mails or anything like that is available to anyone.

Grandmama Sat 26-Nov-16 18:27:39

I signed up for Mindfulness which I am doing at my own pace. Future Learn is a brillliant idea.

Ana Sat 26-Nov-16 18:12:28

Too late now, I've registered in my own name! I thought they'd give you to option of using a different Username if you wanted to, as GN does.

joannewton46 Sat 26-Nov-16 18:03:51

Ana - as the other participants are from all over the world, it doesn't bother me to use my name. You don't have to give your real name if you don't want to - how would they know if it is or if it's your full name, no-one is going to check up on you. The only problem with using a different name would be if you want a certificate to show you'd done the coure.

TrishTopcat Sat 26-Nov-16 17:57:08

For the Gransnetters who make and sell their own goods, have you tried selling on Etsy?

Ana Sat 26-Nov-16 17:41:25

(on the message boards)

Ana Sat 26-Nov-16 17:40:31

Can I ask, do you all use your own names when interacting with other participants? It put me off a bit when I registered and my full name was all I could use.

joannewton46 Sat 26-Nov-16 17:27:33

I have always done what my other half calls "collecting qualifications" and found Future Learn recently. So far I've done Antiquities Trafficking & Art Theft (fascinating) and Archaeology from dig to lab (Time Team and then some.) I'm about to start one with an Israeli university on Maths problems to be followed by genealogy, developments in the fashion industry, cyber security, and investing - with a few more waiting in the wings.
It's all free, you work at your own pace and the range of topics is growing all the time. Just down my alley!
If you haven't discovered it yet, do have a look. The only thing I would warn against is taking the time allowance per week as gospel, it's too easy to spend much longer than the few hours they suggest it will take.

Glamorousgray Sat 26-Nov-16 15:21:31

Agree with other posters, Future Learn courses are great. Am doing one about the Southern states of America at the moment, have done lots of others from Shakespeare to Understanding how your liver works. If you register they send e mails every week of new courses that maybe of interest. There are also lots of international universities that do free online courses - once you start it becomes addictive.

Legs55 Sat 26-Nov-16 14:49:24

Sounds good - I had looked at doing a "return to study" type course with OU but because I have an HND (29 years ago) I have to pay & at the moment I have more pressing matters I need to spend money on.

I would love to do some studying & Future Learn sounds brilliant, Thanks flowers

CaroL10 Sat 26-Nov-16 14:22:20

Just wanted to say that I completely agree with all the positive comments about Future Learn. I got into it earlier this year after reading a post on GN. I started with the Strategies for Successful Ageing course and thought it was great. It helped me pull together lots of thoughts that I was having about retiring and starting a new phase of life. Good luck with your course and all your plans Shanna.

nancyma Sat 26-Nov-16 14:03:34

I'm going to look this up it sounds wonderful

Stella14 Sat 26-Nov-16 13:28:22

Just had a look at future learn. Very taken with it. Thanks to those who mentioned it.

wot Sat 26-Nov-16 13:02:30

I've done five courses with Future Learn and it's great! No pressure, livens up one's mind, can do when you want and lots of interesting subjects!

Stella14 Sat 26-Nov-16 12:27:05

I'm learning Spanish. It's a surprisingly tough language as it has many more pronouns and congugated verbs than English, so it certainly challenges the grey matter.

Lewlew Sat 26-Nov-16 12:23:54

Shanma Can I have a link to your Amazon page for e-books? If against TOS you can PM me.
grin

Lupin Sat 26-Nov-16 11:25:25

Hello Shanma. I'm a great fan of Futurelearn too. I like the history courses and can recommend the one on Hadrians Wall - also Richard 111. I also did one on heart health which was excellent and tried a Shakespeare course by Warwick University. Next it's Italian for beginners and an archeaological course on Portus. I'm going to Italy next year to Pompeii and Herculaneum. It's been a few months since I dipped in. You've inspired me to dip again.
I had a few years of grinding stress which I'm now out the other side of, and those courses gave me great relief of the mind and something else to focus on.
Good luck to all with the digital marketing. If I had a creative bone I'd be having a look too. Sadly I haven't found it yet, but love to see and use what others make.

moxeyns Sat 26-Nov-16 09:59:36

Coursera are good too, and frequently have things I want to learn. And Etsy has a fab book on how to photograph and market your crafts.

Antonia Sat 26-Nov-16 09:53:22

I too wish we could sell our wares on here! I spend all my spare time making fabric items; knitting bags, purses, Harris tweed phone pouches, wristlets, etc and have lately taken up leatherwork which I love. It keeps me occupied and as I have run out of family members to give my things to ( my poor daughter has more zipped pouches than she knows what to do with), I now sell on a website. If anyone is looking for gift ideas then please message me and I will give details (plus a discount for gransnetters).

Luckygirl Sat 26-Nov-16 09:27:19

Future learn is a gem - enjoy!

SunnySusie Sat 26-Nov-16 09:23:30

I have done five courses on FutureLearn so far and they are brilliant. Loads to chose from, you can study at a time of day to suit you, there are no tests and its all totally free. They are not a big time commitment, just something interesting to do, especially in the winter months. It doesnt matter if you drop behind because the courses stay up for a long while. I think the best one I did was Strategies for Successful Ageing from Trinity College Dublin. The interaction with other learners is like GransNet you just type out messages. Quite a few people reply and its really interesting to see what other people think. You can have a look to see what is on offer by just typing FutureLearn into Google.