Gransnet forums

Chat

Can you pass the UK citizenship test?

(115 Posts)
vampirequeen Fri 09-Dec-16 21:08:53

www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/travel/can-you-pass-the-uk-citizenship-test/ar-AAlj5Qp?li=AAaeUIW&ocid=spartandhp#page=21

I only managed 14/20 and only then because I have more than a passing interest in history blush

Does this mean I have to go and live in another country? Will I lose my citizenship? Hang on we live in a monarchy. Does that mean I'll stop being a subject?

Shanma Sat 10-Dec-16 00:19:41

No I didn't pass. I scored 14. I hope they send me somewhere warm and sunny when they deport me !

grannyactivist Sat 10-Dec-16 00:28:37

I am always so relieved when my students (who are learning English) pass this test as they really do have to work very hard indeed to assimilate so much information. I think the test actually benefits no-one and relies mostly on students having a good memory. By contrast the syllabus I've devised to teach my students is a very pragmatic one; it covers housing, banking, schooling, health, driving - and other things that help people to become a part of the local community.

callgirl1 Sat 10-Dec-16 00:38:13

17/20, 85%

Spangles1963 Sat 10-Dec-16 02:43:56

Same here. Hadn't even answered the first question and it said I'd scored 20/20! I have done a few of these tests though,over the last year. My DP is from Ethiopia and has lived here for quite a few years and is thinking of taking the test. So he has been doing some online practice ones,coached by me! The ones we did were out of 24. He got an average score of about 15 or 16,while my average was 23.

BlueBelle Sat 10-Dec-16 04:51:40

I only got 11 off to the tower

Bellsnwhistles Sat 10-Dec-16 05:36:14

14 here. Disappointed with that as I consider myself thoroughly British and reasonably well educated. However I too think some of the questions inappropriate for the purposes, and would like to see more emphasis on practical issues, and modern life here.

JackyB Sat 10-Dec-16 09:23:16

I'll have a go at it in a minute and, if I'm not too embarrassed, I'll post my results here later.

At the House of History in Bonn, there is an opportunity to do the German Citizenship test. I got full marks, but was disappointed I wasn't handed a German passport there and then!!!

Many of my friends are now applying for German citizenship. One had a date for the citizenship test, but it was cancelled due to lack of applicants, so she will now have to wait till February!

The questions are really easy. And I can answer more than my colleagues can. After all, I've lived in the country nearly 40 years now, through the Berlin Wall coming down and everything. They were still in Kindergarten when that happened, and some of them have no grasp of even basic history.

JackyB Sat 10-Dec-16 09:27:03

Right. I've done it and got 14/20. The mistakes were due to (a) me not being a UK resident and (b) The English education system whereby you are very limited as to which periods you cover in history - even at A level.

Bellanonna Sat 10-Dec-16 10:21:41

85% with some lucky guesses, but I thought some of the questions irrelevant. I knew about the architecture of St Pancras, for example, but whyever would or should a non Brit? What relevance does it have to becoming a British citizen? Same goes for some of the other questions too.

tiggypiro Sat 10-Dec-16 10:29:05

I only got 13 but am going to keep doing it until I get a result I am happy with.

Charleygirl Sat 10-Dec-16 10:41:39

Snap, tiggypiro

Wobblybits Sat 10-Dec-16 10:42:58

only 13 for me, looking for my passport to leave the country, sad

History is not good for me.

Jayh Sat 10-Dec-16 11:05:15

I only scored 65%. Some of these questions are ridiculous in that they have no bearing on what a citizen of the UK needs to know today. Architecture? English history? What information about a person is this test meant to collect?

How about this for an alternative.
The UK is a union of which countries?

Any other suggestions?

annodomini Sat 10-Dec-16 11:12:31

20/20. (smug emoticon) When do I get my citizenship certificate?

grannypiper Sat 10-Dec-16 11:22:45

should rename it the English Citizenship test

Elegran Sat 10-Dec-16 11:29:23

We could make up our own. What questions would you ask? I'd start with JahH's "The UK is a union of which countries?" and follow it with questions about how laws are made and administered in the UK, that is by elected members of Parliament, judges, police (not made by edict of the Queen as absolute monarch, as some people from other countries believe)

KatyK Sat 10-Dec-16 12:19:00

13 for me. I knew the historical ones but not the modern ones blush

SueDonim Sat 10-Dec-16 12:52:32

My French dil took it in Scotland and passed with flying colours. It was v Scotland-oriented and she told them they should be more inclusive with their questions and have more questions about the rest of the UK. grin

Anniebach Sat 10-Dec-16 13:45:53

75% but guessed some

Juggernaut Sat 10-Dec-16 14:13:50

19/20, so I can probably stay here!

Rinouchka Sat 10-Dec-16 14:14:23

Totally agree with you, Eloethan. I got 18/20, purely by guessing based on general knowledge. Am not British.

Jalima Sat 10-Dec-16 14:46:10

I keep getting 100% Brilliant as well - without doing it.

If only all my exams had been so easy grin

Jalima Sat 10-Dec-16 14:56:55

19/20 - 95%

I didn't know that there are 15 people on a Scottish jury!

I agree most of it it is irrelevant and no indication of a knowledge of our country today and what citizenship entails.

grannypiper Sat 10-Dec-16 18:10:15

Elegran i like that game. I suggest the next question should be when do we hold the pancake races ?

whitewave Sat 10-Dec-16 19:21:06

95% Henry Vlll and Walesblush sorry to Welsh grans.