Gransnet forums

Chat

Knighthoods, and some other honours being devalued

(95 Posts)
M0nica Sat 31-Dec-16 08:14:28

Seeing the number of athletes and others being given major honours while still very young may make honours appear with it and more 'relevant' to younger people (or at least that is probably the government's fond belief) but I think they devalue them.

I understood honours were for lifetime achievement, when someone had gone over and beyond their duty or shown devotion to duty over a long period - which applies to people at every level from local community workers to the famous.

For example, why should Andy Murray or Mo Farrah get knighthoods now? Yes, they are both great athletes, yes they have achieved astounding levels, but surely Andy Murray's knighthood should come at the end of his playing career as the final accolade, the same for Mo Farrah, I know he will have a shorter career but I am sure his contributions to his sport will be continue even after he ceases performing.

So many of those given knighthoods in the past for a couple of sporting achievements have seen the recipient sink without trace, once their moment in the spotlight ends,

Jalima Tue 03-Jan-17 23:46:56

I didn't realise that Coral Atkins had died and I'm sorry to hear that and agree that she is one person who should have received recognition for her work. I read about her years ago and admired her and what she was doing for those children.

durhamjen Tue 03-Jan-17 22:47:23

If you look at Mark Rylance's wikipaedia entry, you'll see why he got it for services to theatre. It's not just his acting, it's encouraging youngsters to get into acting.
He's also a member of the PPU and of Stop the War Coalition, so an all round good man. He turned it down once before.

durhamjen Tue 03-Jan-17 22:32:50

I heard Lynn Faulds Wood explaining this morning why she had turned hers down.
www.independent.co.uk/news/people/lynn-faulds-wood-former-bbc-presenter-turns-down-mbe-new-years-honours-a7503411.html

One of the men who was responsible for the latest look at the Hillsborough disaster also turned his down on the grounds that his work was against the idea of empire, and also that nobody had as yet been charged over Hillsborough so he thought it was just a sop to keep him quiet.

Anniebach Tue 03-Jan-17 22:15:43

Seems money concerns some not what a person has achieved

hicaz46 Tue 03-Jan-17 22:07:52

This is an outdated system made valueless by the number of awards given to so called celebrities and sportspeople who are just doing their jobs. Andy Murray gets paid exceedingly well to play tennis and I agree with other comments that he hasn't even finished his career to be given a Knighthood at 29 is ridiculous,. Victoria Beckham also gets paid well. At least some sports people have to work in other jobs to make a living and may deserve their awards more.

Anniebach Tue 03-Jan-17 09:36:35

Maggie, I do know she was a close friend of Glenda Jackson so perhaps politics came into it

M0nica Tue 03-Jan-17 09:32:46

If she had been offered and refused an honour you would not know unless she went public about it.

Just because young people dedicate much of their lives to training to attain excellence in sport or anything else should not count towards any honour, for every one who succeeds there are many hundreds who put in as much effort for as long and never hit the highest level. Should they get knighthoods etc?

I think the highest level of honours; knighthoods, damehoods etc should go to those who have performed at a consistently exceptional level, over a extended period of time, or have followed their sporting excellence, though brief by high achievement in another or related field. And I do not consider that anyone under 35 is likely to fill this criteria.

If you have won a Gold Medal at the Olympics, or become a World Champion in a sport, that was always your aim and is recognition enough of your prowess. Do it multiple times over 5 or more years and follow that with another 5 years, dedicated to helping others do what you have done, form a charity and be involved with it, like Mo Farrah has done, I understand and after 10 years of such exceptional dedication and, yes, you have earned your knighthood. There is nothing to stop you being awarded a lower level of honour, CBE, OBE or whatever

I just think that the higher echelons of any honours system should go only to those who have given exceptional service in any field for at least 10 years, preferably 15.

Maggiemaybe Mon 02-Jan-17 08:47:01

Now why did my asterisks not work there? Annie

Maggiemaybe Mon 02-Jan-17 08:46:13

I thought that might possibly be the case,*Annie*, but couldn't find anything online to say she'd ever been offered one.

Anniebach Mon 02-Jan-17 08:42:50

It is possible she refused an honour

Eloethan Sun 01-Jan-17 23:27:47

Maggiemaybe I was so interested to read your post about Coral Atkins. I remember reading a very long article about her many years ago in, I think, the Sunday Times. I found it very moving and inspiring that she had given up her acting career to devote her life to helping children. I have often wondered whether she continued with this work. I have no personal animosity about (most of) the people who receive honours, but I agree with you and feel it is people like her who deserve our admiration.

Rosina Sun 01-Jan-17 23:12:52

Maggiemaybe, I was shocked to read about Coral Atkins, I had no idea that she had died. I too read her story of the visit she made to a children's home when famous from the 'Family at War' series, and saw a little girl rocking and crying under the table, in great distress. When she asked what was wrong evidently the response was 'Oh she's always like that'. The child inspired her to open the home that you described, but she never did track her down again. How much good she must have done, how many young people she steered towards a better life, and why did she not get some recognition for that? Some financial help might have been good too - she did it all alone.

Legs55 Sun 01-Jan-17 22:08:25

Vampirequeen I'm with you on Ken Dodd - he's an incredible performer, as for his run in with the Taxman, I worked for HMRC at the time (most of us were delighted when he was acquitted). Which brings me to another point regarding automatic Honours - within the Civil Service Top Brass are put in charge of Departments for a couple of years & then walk away with their "C" OR"K".

I would like to see more Press coverage of "ordinary people" who are granted Honours

Anniebach Sun 01-Jan-17 19:59:30

So we can say the same as those who make the decisions as to whom to give honours to , their opinions are as valid as another's in all things

LadyGracie Sun 01-Jan-17 19:46:29

A lot of people work at something from a young age and achieve high goals, these can be in any walk of life, but they're not in the limelight so don't get the recognition they may deserve unless they are nominated by someone with some clout.
The present system is a nonsense.

One persons opinion is as valid as another's in all things!

notanan Sun 01-Jan-17 18:38:29

I know a couple of young people who do sports at national/international level. By their early twenties many have put in two decates of dedication - training before school and every weekend for years and years.

"young" national/international athletes already have put in dedication over a long period of time.

Maggiemaybe Sun 01-Jan-17 17:31:20

The actress Coral Atkins died last month. I came across her obituary in the Guardian, but have heard no mention of her death on the news. She was one of the main characters in Family at War, a huge hit in the early 70s, when she was asked to open a fair at a children's home and was horrified by the lack of care for a disturbed child there, especially as she had suffered her own trauma as a three year old evacuee during the war. Determined to do something, she trained in psychotherapy and child psychology, raised funding, and opened a home for severely damaged and disturbed children who had been written off by other organisations. She ran the home for many years, only giving it up in 1997 after suffering severe injuries in a car crash, but she continued to work with these children. As far as I know, she received no official recognition for her work (though I'm prepared to be corrected) and this saddens me when I think of some of the people who've been honoured.

Anniebach Sun 01-Jan-17 16:54:14

I agree Vampirequeen , the British class system stinks

vampirequeen Sun 01-Jan-17 16:48:49

Those who give tirelessly to their community only receive the lower honours. The hierarchy gives the higher awards to the rich/famous/long term top civil servant/exMPs whilst the plebs get the lower awards no matter how deserving they might be.

And to add insult to injury the Lords and Dames get £300 a day just for signing in at the House of Lords.

We can continue to honour people but let's do away with the hierarchy and the automatic awards. It's nice to recognise achievements. Why not a different system? Awards of equal standing for sport, entertainment, science, community work etc. But only those who give their time freely for the benefit of others actually gets the visit to Buck House and a chat with Liz.

grannypiper Sun 01-Jan-17 16:27:29

A 96 year old lady in Birkenhead has turned up at a homeless mission to help feed people every day for the last 80 years, now she does deserve an honour unlike Vicky Beckham

Lozzamas Sun 01-Jan-17 15:43:28

I don't think anyone should get one for their chosen profession or employment, be that lollipop lady, actor, sportsman or doctor. Unless they have gone very much above and beyond in terms of national excellence. Nor should it be the preserve of charitable work- it's in the gift of the queen for her to reward/acknowledge outstanding citizens for their contribution to the country/ monarchy. As a monarchist I wouldn't want it to stop, however I do understand that making your money designing horrid (IMHO) dresses doesn't warrant an award unless it comes with HUGE export earnings for the Country or you have performed many services for the Crown or Nation beyond making your company money. I had an acquaintance receive one for services to agriculture - yes he had spent his life furthering husbandry of rare breeds etc. He was an ordinary guy who hadn't contributed to the Crown etc. His family was hugely proud but he'd done nothing but do his job very well.... many people work extra hard, long or free with no acknowledgement. Do these things for their own rewards - honours belong to the VERY few.., I can think of about 6 or 7 holders I think should be knights - all are rather old and stuffy and have usually been acknowledged already in other ways.

Anniebach Sun 01-Jan-17 14:04:16

Thank you Jaycee

Jaycee5 Sun 01-Jan-17 13:15:45

Anniebach A lot of soap stars have. Johnny Briggs who played Mike Baldwin, the actress who played Vera Duckworth. I can't be bothered to check but I think it's an unusual honours list that doesn't include at least one.

nancyma Sun 01-Jan-17 13:10:10

I think titles are daft why would anyone want to becalled, Lord, Sir, Baroness or anything else ans sometimes expect to be treated differently too. Of course we should respect and applaud anyone who has contributed to society but to give them silly titles makes no sense.

Nona4ever Sun 01-Jan-17 13:08:25

Librarylady,
You're not wrong.