Gransnet forums

Chat

Chocolate

(74 Posts)
whitewave Tue 10-Jan-17 18:09:44

DH has just given me a small Cadburys fruit and nut as a treat. Is it me or has the taste changed?

callgirl1 Sun 15-Jan-17 21:32:42

I`ve still got 2 of those large Quality Street tins, used for keeping bits and bobs in. They date from the early to mid 80s, and cost £6 at the time, but you felt you were getting something, as you could dig your hand in and have a good old rummage, now it`s just your finger ends and you`re touching the bottom!
I decided to treat myself last week to a large slab of Cadbury`s dairy milk, first time in ages, it definitely doesn`t taste the same.
My favourite chocolates were Terry`s Neapolitans, but they disappeared along with Terry`s, sadly.

Elrel Sun 15-Jan-17 21:12:26

Mair - Tesco had a Green and Black sampler box reduced, I was tempted and I fell ...
Shoved to back of cupboard, I hope I forget it's there!/

TriciaF Sun 15-Jan-17 20:09:16

A friend just gave some Ferrero Rochers - I've eaten three already!

Mair Sun 15-Jan-17 18:18:07

groceries.asda.com/product/premium-chocolate-blocks/heidi-orange-chocolate-bar/910001832435

Similar

Mair Sun 15-Jan-17 18:16:32

I have bought some bargain Heidi chocolate in the B&M store, dark with raspberry bits! It looks excellent. Will report...

Nelliemoser Sat 14-Jan-17 23:06:08

I really don't feel I want to eat any chocolate for a month or so. I was very pleased when we I finished it up.

Mair Fri 13-Jan-17 23:23:37

Moser Roth Peruvian is very good, dark but not too dark.

ganmamarie Fri 13-Jan-17 21:27:40

Try Moser Roth chocolate bars, many flavours, from Aldi. You will never buy Cadbury again - and they are cheaper too.?

hereshoping Fri 13-Jan-17 09:08:55

Used to have a bit of a Cadbury Twirl habit but they now taste horrible. Always avoid anything with the word "Cadbury" on it now. How are they managing to stay afloat with so many people avoiding their products.

Elrel Thu 12-Jan-17 19:51:03

So sad, the demise of Cadburys. Aldi's Moser Roth is excellent, I always keep a mini bar of the darkest plain in my bag as 'emergency chocolate'!
I was given a MR bar, strawberry mousse with chilli, at Christmas and it was so good! So good that I'm trying to forget lest I buy more ...

Daisyanswerdo Thu 12-Jan-17 18:28:38

I'm diabetic, and have one square of Tesco's 85% cocoa chocolate in the evening. I think it's very good.

Lewlew Thu 12-Jan-17 11:42:19

Oh, and Quality Street. Shrunken tubs and they removed the favourite flavours!! See shrinking over the decades in image below.

twitter.com/danielfoxfm/status/677056680610385920/photo/1

Nestle, the manufacturers of Quality Street insist they haven’t changed tin sizes for 2016 but say the weight is slightly different in the tubs because of the difference between the Honeycomb Crunch and heavier Toffee Deluxe which it replaced.

metro.co.uk/2016/12/21/the-curious-case-of-the-shrinking-quality-street-tin-6337787/

confused

Blinko Thu 12-Jan-17 10:40:18

We visited the Cadbury outlet shop at Cheshire Oaks yesterday. I wasn't tempted. Like others on here, since the Americans took it over, I have avoided the brand altogether. It's just not chocolate any more.

Lidl and Aldi both do splendid dark chocolate, much more to my taste. M&S and Thorntons are still good too. Plenty of yum!

LuckyDucky Wed 11-Jan-17 20:49:38

I like value for money. I'll try Aldi and Lidl (spelling??)

Thanks for your quick response Stay I only eat chocolate at Christmas and Easter.

Savouring rich, dark chocolate is satisfying Yum grin

stayanotherday Wed 11-Jan-17 20:35:16

Try Ebay Lucky, might be expensive though. Don't eat much chocolate butmost tastes cheap and waxy not rich as it used to. You need to eat more of it to satisfy whereas it was richer before, clever marketing play there?!

LuckyDucky Wed 11-Jan-17 20:31:16

If you eat a square of Cadbury's chocolate all you taste is sugar.

David Cameron lowered UK food standards to those of the US; so, all sorts of familiar brands will/do taste different worse. I avoid anything made by Kraft and Cocoa Cola's Innocent juice range.

Am I right that Cadburys cannot be sold as chocolate in France? Their "glass and a half" just dilutes and lessens the cost to them.

I noticed Cadbury's hazelnut is more expensive. Why? Nuts, and fruits lessen their costs. So why do we pay more?
angry

Anyone know where I could buy Belgian or German chocolate Easter eggs? hmm

sarahellenwhitney Wed 11-Jan-17 19:14:55

Thorntons yummy!

J52 Wed 11-Jan-17 18:06:41

Devine Fair Trade chocolate is lovely,especially the ginger thins. They only seem to do those at Christmas.

grannypiper Wed 11-Jan-17 18:00:51

MiniMouse my daughter bought a drum of Sainsbury chocolates instead of Roses for Christmas and she said they were wonderful.
Lindt for me is the tastiest

Christinefrance Wed 11-Jan-17 16:54:59

Cote D'or is lovely as is some Aldi chocolate. Cadbury's chocolate has deteriorated since they changed hands.
I do like After Eights though and Fry's mint cream bars. Wish I was not such a chocaholic but suppose there could be worse things.
Why is there no chocolate emoticon ?

BBbevan Wed 11-Jan-17 16:42:49

My default, stress relieving chocolate used to be a Mars Bar. Sliced and favoured. Now, being recently diagnosed diabetic ,I have one square of 80%+ chocolate in the evening. Aldi is very good and reasonably cheap.

Lilylilo Wed 11-Jan-17 16:35:46

I had soooo looked forward to a Hershey Bar after reading American novels as a teenager. I can honestly say it is the ONLY choc i have ever spat out! Truly revolting. ALDI and Lidi both sell lovely chocolate

VIOLETTE Wed 11-Jan-17 16:19:55

If you can get it in the UK try Cote D'or noir block ....mmm it is gorgeous ......much the best chocolate I have tasted ...bought a tin of Roses at Christmas ...very disappointing ! Also bought some very expensive hand made chocs from the local Chocolatier ....also not as good as the above !

Linbrikat Wed 11-Jan-17 15:53:23

I adore Lidl's seashell truffles. I think they're much nicer than the name brand and about half the price.

CardiffJaguar Wed 11-Jan-17 15:50:21

It was never going to be the same after that takeover, and having now got yet another owner I think we can forget Cadbury just as we have had to forget other old favourites. We may see well known names when shopping but who now owns those brands? Brands, not the actual products are what are being bought and sold so who makes what and which recipe is a guessing game for many.