Gransnet forums

Chat

Kindness of strangers

(23 Posts)
blueberry1 Wed 11-Jan-17 11:03:06

Yesterday I went to the local shops on my mobility scooter,which I cannot take into the small shops,so I have to get off and struggle round them with my walking stick.In the first shop,a customer,not much younger than myself asked if I could manage and did I need any help?I thanked him and said I was OK.I paid for my purchases and I was putting them and my purse away,he bought a box of chocolates and said "those are for you."I said I couldn't accept them but he insisted.I was so surprised and thanked him for such kindness and said he had made my day.I waited on my scooter to thank him again but he just smiled and shrugged.He fussed my dog and chatted for a minute then went on his way.
In the next shop around the corner,I paid for the couple of things I had,then as I was leaving a young man picked up a bag I had dropped without realising (the one with the chocs in) and the shopping which I had left on the counter and carried them out to my scooter.I thanked him and went home feeling very much cheered and lucky to have come across such lovely strangers.
Has anyone else had an unexpected kindness recently?

Alima Wed 11-Jan-17 13:42:35

Sounds like you came across a couple of very kind strangers yesterday. Been a while since it has happened to me but I can remember how uplifting it can be.

Jane10 Wed 11-Jan-17 13:54:40

I've had some positive experiences too. Its made me more open to trying to do the same things myself sometimes. Isn't there a movement called 'random acts of kindness'?
Maybe we could do a GN version? On second thoughts they're things you do quietly and don't tell others. Oh well. Onwards...

gillybob Wed 11-Jan-17 13:59:37

I would love to share this with you blueberry1.

I was walking on the beach (as usual)on Sunday morning when I got chatting to a lady I have spoken to a few times before. She has a scraggy mutt of a dog and bless her she looks very poor (and not very clean). I was shocked when she first told me she was only in her 40's. She is one of those people who tell you their entire life stories and has told me in the past that she had mental health problems and despite leaving school with excellent prospects her parents marriage spilt and bad lifestyle choice left her in a desperate situation. She told me she took tablets for her nerves and that she couldn't hold down a job.

Anyway on Sunday we chatted about Christmas and children etc. and she told me that she had had "the best Christmas ever". She said that her son and daughter both visited her and one brought her a gloves and scarf set (which she was proudly wearing)and the other brought her a Christmas cake and some chocolates. She went on to say that on Boxing Day she went to her local garage/shop to top up her gas and electric pre-payment keys and couldn't decide whether to put £10 on her electric and gas or £20 on her gas (wondering which she could do without the most). She said she was dithering a bit and a lady behind her said "Oh come on love, I'm in a hurry" she then handed the shopkeeper her card and said "take the money for my petrol and shove, £20 on each for her will you, I'm in a bloomin' hurry" She left the shop and jumped in her car shouting "Merry christmas" smile

annsixty Wed 11-Jan-17 14:31:17

Tears sprang involuntarily to my eyes when I read that.Gilly I love to hear of genuinely kind acts with no thought of reward.

Lona Wed 11-Jan-17 14:34:00

Me too ann, how kind.

Jane10 Wed 11-Jan-17 14:43:06

Lets all try to do something like that secretly!sunshine

ggmarion Wed 11-Jan-17 14:53:59

I posted a similar thread recently and yes, there are some very kind people around smile

gillybob Wed 11-Jan-17 15:12:56

Imagine being there when she was telling me annsixty sad I had to say the wind on the beach was making my eyes water !

Luckygirl Wed 11-Jan-17 15:38:55

I went to town on the bus today and the bus was quite full so I had to go to the back and climb up a high step to my seat - bit of a struggle for me. The man siting next to me said "Don't worry - I will help you when it is time to get off." And he did. I thought that was very thoughtful of him.

gillybob Wed 11-Jan-17 16:12:34

I think there are still a lot of kind people around. You just don't get to hear about them.

I think its important to help each other.

Lazigirl Wed 11-Jan-17 17:02:46

I was very moved by the report of truck driver from Leeds who raised over £200,000 crowdfunding, for the Polish driver's family, who was killed by the Berlin terrorist. This was an act of kindness towards someone he didn't know but felt solidarity with as a fellow trucker. He has now met the family and has been honoured by Polish Government.

blueberry1 Wed 11-Jan-17 18:45:31

What a lovely story gillybob.And luckygirl you certainly were that day!
I think the Random Acts of Kindness movement has the right idea-they suggest you pay for someone's coffee,give them a book or something similar and leave a note saying to pass on the kind act.I read lots of books which go to the charity shop when I've finished with them but every now and then I leave one in a bus shelter or cafe for someone to find.

blueberry1 Wed 11-Jan-17 18:48:07

Good idea jane10.If we all did one little kindness now and then,the world would be a better place.

annsixty Wed 11-Jan-17 19:37:10

After the thread where some of us questioned how effective we thought our charity donations were I am thinking that these random acts may be the way to go. However I would not want to be seen as a do-gooder or odd. Anonymity would still be my way to go.

grannypiper Sun 15-Jan-17 10:11:54

Sometimes just a smile and a good morning go a long way, I move into a lovely village in S.England and was shocked that people didnt greet each other ( here in Scottish villages they dont stop talking) so i started saying good morning/afternoon, people were a bit taken aback but always replied, now a decade later it is normal in that village to greet everyone. It only takes one person to start the ball rolling

br0adwater Sun 15-Jan-17 10:37:23

The thing is to be ready at all times to do something kind. And sometimes we don't realise just how much just a smile has meant to someone, especially someone in a wheelchair. They are often invisible and ignored.

Annsixty, I wouldn't worry about being thought a do-gooder. Better than the opposite

downtoearth Sun 15-Jan-17 10:47:29

I read a few years ago of a woman who for reasons I cannot remember decided for one year to bake a cake each day and anonymously leave it on the doorstep of anyone in her village she felt deserved congratulating /commiserating/cheering up etc ....isn't that a lovely ideasunshine

br0adwater Sun 15-Jan-17 10:59:57

Well yes, unless you were hoping to be the recipient and didn't get a cake.
I prefer kindness when it's freely, randomly given without having to 'deserve' it. And whereas we might all give to charity, visit a sick neighbour etc, it's those extra, unexpected acts that make the biggest difference, isn't it?

downtoearth Sun 15-Jan-17 11:27:15

I don't think people knew why they had recieved the cakes ,it wasn't made public until after the year and people where trying to solve the mystery of why they where appearing and their source ...but I agree random acts of kindness are lovely

grannypiper Mon 16-Jan-17 08:15:38

Maybe GNETTERS can start a smile campaign

Auntieflo Mon 16-Jan-17 09:01:48

smile. One to get us going

Elrel Mon 16-Jan-17 09:19:13

Blueberry - if you register the book at BookCrossing.com you sometimes get to discover where it has gone. It's a real thrill to get a message that a book you gave away has turned up in the middle of Australia!
I've had some kindness from bus drivers recently, waiting or even stopping for me as I hurry towards the stop! Much appreciated!