Gransnet forums

Chat

Bit of a schock

(19 Posts)
Luckygirl Mon 16-Jan-17 16:50:07

Had lunch last Weds with a group of friends and I have just heard that one of them has suddenly died. She was the liveliest and most fun-loving person you can imagine and only in early sixties. Sudden brain heamorrhage. It pulls you up short a bit.

kittylester Mon 16-Jan-17 16:54:39

Oh Lucky you must be so shocked! The ripples from that will be with you for a while. I'm sure you have lots of happy memories to look back on. Does she have family?

grannylyn65 Mon 16-Jan-17 16:55:52

Yes, I found out recently a friend from years back had died of lung cancer, never smoked, vegetarian.

Luckygirl Mon 16-Jan-17 16:55:54

Yes she does - they were in the throes of organising her DD's 40th birthday party.

It should say shock in he title. -

rosesarered Mon 16-Jan-17 16:56:06

It certainly does! We are now at that age when friends die or become very ill, even when they are younger than us.We have to enjoy life every day ( the little things.)

annsixty Mon 16-Jan-17 16:56:43

Condolences Luckygirl it certainly does shock and makes us face up to things. When we have time to say goodbye even when only in our head it helps but the realisation we will not see them again is very sad.

Christinefrance Mon 16-Jan-17 17:01:17

Makes us aware of our own mortality doesn't it. So sad about your friend luckygirl.. Not sure if I want to go quickly like that or have time to say my goodbyes.
At least you can remember the happy times you had with her.

Cherrytree59 Mon 16-Jan-17 17:01:28

flowers so sorry for the loss of your friend.
what a shock luckygirl
It does bring you up short and big reminder that we are only on this earth for a short time.
In a way we are all just visitors.
A couple of years ago a good friend (similar age) died out of the blue , it still feels odd that she isn't here as she was such a healthy lively character.

grannyqueenie Mon 16-Jan-17 17:16:31

What a shock, luckygirl, its horrible when you hear news like that. A reminder to live every day to the full and say everything we need to those we care about flowers

Ankers Mon 16-Jan-17 17:29:37

Same thing happened to me 6 months ago. Same sort of age. He had had a heart attack about 2 years previously, and we now wonder whether that was a warning or pre-cursor for what was to come.

Very shocking.

Even now, I still expect to see him in certain circumstances, and have to remind myself that that is not going to happen.

Very sad for you allflowers

Luckygirl Mon 16-Jan-17 17:37:12

We all go out to lunch together once a month and she was her usual sprightly self last Weds; in good health and no problems. Then within 24 hours she is gone. We are all numbed by this - there are others in the group who are older and have (or have had) obvious health problems and we understand that they are at risk - but of all of us she was the youngest, brightest and healthiest, leading life to the full.

nanaK54 Mon 16-Jan-17 17:45:36

How very sad.....

Greyduster Mon 16-Jan-17 17:50:23

Luckygirl I am sorry for the loss of your friend. It is always shocking, especially if it comes into of the blue like that. It happened to DH's best friend a few years ago. He had just come off the telephone arranging a family holiday to New Zealand, had a sudden heart attack and died. No inkling of it at all. Such a shock for you and the others who were her friends. I hope you find some solace in each other.

annodomini Mon 16-Jan-17 18:42:03

I'm sad for you, luckygirl. You must be feeling quite flattened by the shock. Thinking of you. flowers

stillaliveandkicking Mon 16-Jan-17 19:13:26

Yes, it is awful and rather shocking when you hear of anyone dying. Sudden death is always far worse flowers

cornergran Mon 16-Jan-17 19:33:44

Very sad for you, your friends and of course the family of the woman who died. Take care of yourself. flowers.

Rinouchka Mon 16-Jan-17 19:34:15

So sorry, Luckygirl, but glad that you got to spend a happy moment with your friend before she died. How sad for her family.
Yes, as everyone has said, we are here but a short time.
Hugs.flowers

Jalima Mon 16-Jan-17 20:23:35

It is very sad; my dear friend died very suddenly a few years ago now. It was most unexpected and I still miss her very much.

flowers

grannypiper Mon 16-Jan-17 20:26:32

flowerswine x