Gransnet forums

Chat

Postmen and shorts

(73 Posts)
trisher Fri 20-Jan-17 14:51:35

Please can someone tell me why postmen now seem to be wearing shorts whatever the weather? I can understand in summer it must be nice, but in the rain and snow? Or is this phenomenon only to be seen in the North East? I know local Geordie girls have a reputation for wearing very little on nights out, but someone delivering the post on a cold winter's day? It's all a bit much!
Don't mind the ones with nice tanned legs so much, but they all make me shiver.

Skweek1 Mon 23-Jan-17 18:13:06

I asked my lovely postman and he told me that it's more comfortable than having wet clammy cold trouser legs

Caretaker Sun 22-Jan-17 21:47:42

My wife told our postman he was brave wearing shorts in the very cold weather we are having. He replied 'yes and I don't wear anything underneath.

watermeadow Sun 22-Jan-17 20:44:57

My sister wears flip flops all the year round and doesn't own a coat. She doesn't actually walk anywhere.

GrandmaMoira Sun 22-Jan-17 10:44:49

The postman who delivers parcels here also wears shorts all year so it's not just about getting wet. He usually wears a jacket.

Spot Sat 21-Jan-17 22:38:54

I'm all for that if they have a nice pair of legs!

sussexoldbag Sat 21-Jan-17 22:38:05

Posties around here (Sussex coast ) are wearing shorts.

playcharly Sat 21-Jan-17 20:42:34

My mum's postman in Norwich wears shorts whatever the weather. Brrrrr makes me feel cold. !

Barmyoldbat Sat 21-Jan-17 19:26:29

My poor postman carries a card that tells him no unaddressed post office junk mail to be delivered to our address by order of the CE. My OH complained that many times that this was the result but I always get a smile from my lovely postie.

SparklyGrandma Sat 21-Jan-17 18:10:52

Good point trisher these days they have to run to make their deliveries within tight target time, so I assume most prefer shorts.

They must get very hot with all that running and meeting targets.

phantom12 Sat 21-Jan-17 18:03:11

I used to work on a Post Office counter. The Postmen used to challenge each other to wear shorts whatever the weather.One time they had a bet to see who could sleep out in a tent for the most nights through all weathers!

Deedaa Sat 21-Jan-17 17:21:25

I asked our postman and he said they preferred it to sitting in a van in wet trousers all day. Not so sure about the man I saw shopping in a pair of shorts when it was about -5. I'm afraid his calf muscles weren't as impressive as he obviously thought they were grin

Juggernaut Sat 21-Jan-17 17:16:48

Our postie, Pete, wears shorts and hiking boots every day, no matter what the weather!
I don't normally like tattoos at all, but Pete has a beautiful dragon climbing one of his very shapely and muscular calves, I've studied it in some detail!!!

minxie Sat 21-Jan-17 17:14:59

I saw one today and I live in Gloucestershire. In some areas the frost hasn't disappeared but there he was with his shorts on.
I have three layers on with fingerless gloves and a scarf on in a supermarket and I was still cold.
They must be made of stern stuff

bionicwoman Sat 21-Jan-17 16:52:10

Barmyoldbat Perhaps he's related to mine. Phwoar! Even makes receiving bills worth while.....

stillaliveandkicking Sat 21-Jan-17 16:50:44

As long as I get my post I couldn't care less what they wear. I also get the fact that they are on foot so stay warmer than most in cold weathers.

Barmyoldbat Sat 21-Jan-17 16:29:33

Love the posties in his shorts and walking boots plus his pony tail! Makes my day

GadaboutGran Sat 21-Jan-17 16:09:37

When I was young boys always wore shorts to school up to about 12/13 though I believe much older in Scotland & NI. There was relief when they were finally allowed to wear trousers. When I went to S Island NZ In 1992, I saw senior boys in traditional private schools wearing formal shorts & blazers. Now when I collect GD from Juniir School, most of the older boys wear smart grey shorts (& many are collected by Dads in shorts & flip flops in winter).

SueDonim Sat 21-Jan-17 15:32:53

Our postie doesn't wear shorts but I see plenty around who do. I'm another who lives in Scotland, in a popular holiday area, so I also see cyclists and hill walkers in shorts, year-round. Grey school shorts for boys seem to have become very popular.

Not long ago I spotted a school boy wearing a coat and actually pointed him out to dh because it was such an usual sight nowadays!

marmar01 Sat 21-Jan-17 14:44:19

i heard it was a bet in each sorting office to see who could wear shorts for the longest time in a year

pollyperkins Sat 21-Jan-17 13:59:38

Our newspaper 'boy' (in his 50s) always wears shorts, whatever the weather!

Legs55 Sat 21-Jan-17 13:39:18

For years now I've got used to seeing Posties in shorts summer & winter, in London, Somerset & now Devon. Legs dry quicker than trousers and as most of them either walk quickly or run I wouldn't think they will be cold.

I had a neighbour in his 80s who always wore shorts no matter how cold it was. I now have a neighbour in his 40s who runs & is often in shorts & a vest when out running (training or racing)

stayanotherday Sat 21-Jan-17 13:30:21

Some do here. Postmen and ladies are brilliant, they work long hours and incredibly hard in all weathers yet are always cheerful and friendly. Most seem to enjoy what they do and have a camaraderie you don't always see these days in workplaces.

meandashy Sat 21-Jan-17 13:24:56

I'm in Scotland and one of our posties wear shorts all year round!!
I saw a primary aged boy going to school in shorts last week (-1c)!! I view that as tantamount to child abuse! !

Sheilasue Sat 21-Jan-17 12:59:59

Our postman wear long trousers and we live in the South East, mind you think his in his 50's

quizqueen Sat 21-Jan-17 12:36:26

Wow, you still have a policeman who walks about - outdoors!