Gransnet forums

Chat

I've just witnessed a scam and can't believe it!

(64 Posts)
Solitaire Thu 09-Feb-17 15:21:35

In front of me in the Post Office an elderly gent asking to pay £1000 to China. He was only allowed to pay £300 said the cashier. His phone rang on loudspeaker and I heard every word. A very irate person asking if he'd paid the money yet. he explained that he was only allowed to pay £300. "Well pay that now and 300 tomorrow and the next days" (an african sounding accent?)
I intervened and asked the man did he know the person he was paying and he became irate, said it was a friend, further questioning, then a business partner, then TalkTalk who had apparently paid £1000 in to his account and he had to pay it back today. His mobile rang 4 times with the same person checking what he was doing.
I and the post office staff and a young woman who works in a bank all tried to reason with him and explain it was a scam but he just got very angry.
The staff agreed they should ring the police and the man left saying he would go to the bank.
I can't believe people are still falling for these scams. I'm so angry on their behalf! angry

bethanmp23 Wed 22-Feb-17 12:28:14

My Mum's neighbour - long way down the road from her - saw a van, and two men taking things out from her next door neighbour's house.
As she knew they were away on holiday, she went out to see what was going on.
The van driver explained that the owners had asked them to clean all the Persian rugs in the house while they were away. The neighbour thought it was such a good idea, and they offered her a good price to do it, so she asked them to take away her large Persian rug, too.
Needless to say none of the rugs were ever seen again. Neither were the contents [small antiques] they'd rolled up in the rugs.
Just shows the brass neck of some scammers!

Penstemmon Fri 17-Feb-17 22:31:02

How shocking that some think the situation that OP witnessed is not something anyone else should worry about or get involved in. How un British is that attitude! No sense of civil duty!

ellenemery Fri 17-Feb-17 21:56:08

An neighbour had a phone call this week from a scammer saying he was from the Tax Office and that he owed £1100 pound in outstanding tax. He was to make an immediate transfer of the amount or the police would come to arrest him. Luckily his brother in law was there at the time and he took the phone and told them to f**k off. He is not the sort to fall for these scams but it was good someone else was there to take the phone. He told my husband about it and laughed when he said he was still waiting for the police to arrive.

annette18 Mon 13-Feb-17 11:35:57

Just had the computer scam again said she was from BT ,said every body buys through BT with different provider.
not with BT
Called her a liar, she said not to talk to her like that and put phone down on me. My sister got caught till they asked her for 85 pounds to put errors right, she then told them no.
They sound so convincing easy to get caught out.

Rigby46 Sun 12-Feb-17 11:52:22

Nfk I still pay in the odd chequer and you are right it appeared straightaway on your statement but if you look at the balance available amount, it will not have been added to that. So maybe that's how they do it - they would have a window of a few days before the cheque bounced

NfkDumpling Sun 12-Feb-17 08:07:21

Solitaire - I think by getting his bank details they can then take more. Also - if a cheque is paid in, doesn't it appear on your statement before it clears? So it can be stopped, but still appear on the statement? (It's been a long while since anyone paid me a cheque.)

Tizliz Sat 11-Feb-17 22:19:21

Just to cheer you all up. We have a disabled friend and were horrified to find he had married a woman when on holiday in Thailand. Thought she would leave him as soon as she got her British citizenship. However, this was 15 years ago and they are still together.

Theoddbird Sat 11-Feb-17 20:46:57

So many vulnerable people (especially the elderly) get pulled into these scams....it is so sad...sighs

Thank you for trying your best to stop what was happening x

Solitaire Sat 11-Feb-17 15:48:22

Sarahhelehwhitney I didn't mean that the man couldn't have £1000 in his bank, what I meant was how could it appear that the scammers had paid it in to his bank and then for him to withdraw that amount...he had the cash with him...and pay it back to them. Presumably it was never in his account at all but only appeared as if it was? I really don't understand how that particular scam works.

Jalima Sat 11-Feb-17 12:50:15

The scams are becoming more and more sophisticated.

GracesGranMK2 Sat 11-Feb-17 12:45:40

There was a piece on moneybox about this sort of scam. I am not sure it left me with great hope.

Purpledaffodil Fri 10-Feb-17 21:32:59

When I went to withdraw a large amount of cash recently in Santander, the cashier handed me a printed card with warnings about people who fraudulently ask you to withdraw cash for various scams. Presumably it was given to me to read in case the fraudster was nearby? Not sure if this warning is only given to older people or not, but it seems a good idea.
Well done for your intervention Solitaire flowers

shirleyhick Fri 10-Feb-17 21:01:56

Well done for intervening it is such a shame these scams are still going on I feel sorry for the man perhaps he felt threatened by the person on the other end of the phone. It is just a shame he would not listen to any of you.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 10-Feb-17 19:22:17

Solitaire.
Why couldn't the person have a thousand in his account? but in some accounts there are maximum withdrawals unless you give prior notice.

EmilyHarburn Fri 10-Feb-17 17:46:39

My father in law was once saved from a scam by his bank. He did not want his drive resurfaced but the scammers put a bit of tarmac on it and then asked him for cash. He hadn't any. They took him to his bank. The staff thought it all a bit strange as the people accompanying him stood out as different. The police came and he rode home in a police car. Sadly this became on of the incidents that lead eventually to him having to give up living alone at home and coming to live with us. That was 20 years ago.

chrislou Fri 10-Feb-17 16:56:11

An awful thing to witness but you did everything you could. well done for having the courage to intervene, many people would have perhaps thought it was not my business. There are good people around you just proved that

GillT57 Fri 10-Feb-17 15:49:50

Yes, thats right Kim19 although the story line fizzled out a bit I thought when he turned his attention on Gayle.

Kim19 Fri 10-Feb-17 15:37:47

Didn't they do something like that with Audrey and Nigel Havers as the charmer?

GillT57 Fri 10-Feb-17 15:34:10

Perhaps this is a storyline that script writers could introduce in Coronation Street or Eastenders or whatever? If they showed a trusting, likeable character being charmed online by a fraudster or being excited in the Post Office as they send off the 'fee' to claim their non-existent lottery prize?

harrigran Fri 10-Feb-17 15:13:46

'There are none so blind who will not see'. I think a lot of people wear blinkers when it comes to thinking they have an admirer, truth is the scumbags hone in on affluent women with the express purpose of relieving them of their money.

GracesGranMK2 Fri 10-Feb-17 14:46:42

"Ironically he was a retired Fraud Officer in the DSS."

Unfortunately it does tell you that anyone of us can be caught by these fraudsters. I have a friend who was scammed out of a very large sum of money by a man who, when he was finally caught and sent to prison had scammed five other women (five who had come forward at least).

I met him and he made my skin crawl and his cover story had red flags all over it but you can only say so much. All these women were very well educated, had held high level jobs and just shouldn't, if you analyse it, have fallen for him/it. I imagine different scams catch different groups and ages. What I have no idea about is how you stop these people.

Jalima Fri 10-Feb-17 14:13:26

Again, I believe, a generation acceptance that those in authority (printed letter) are right

I think that's true, my MIL was very trusting, although scams were not so extensive when she was still alive.

judypark Fri 10-Feb-17 14:09:00

Graces, I'm sure you're right about the generational thing. My dad in his eighties believed that anything in the printed word had to be true. Even when I pointed out that he had no deceased relatives in Nigeria, purchased a lottery ticket in Lagos he still took some convincing. Fortunately we had moved in with him by then so we could keep an eye on this cr@p in the post and his email. We set up an email address for him so he could keep in touch with his grandson who was travelling at the time, within days he was receiving spammy messages from these despicable people. I would delete them before he had the chance to read them. Ironically he was a retired Fraud Officer in the DSS.

Jalima Fri 10-Feb-17 13:45:36

Solitaire the people who drew that old man in were kind, reassuring, helpful and his new best friends whereas you were just an interfering woman in the post office queue.

Sad but that is probably how he saw it.
Well done for trying, I hope the PO counter staff have some success in following it up.

Flowerofthewest Fri 10-Feb-17 13:30:35

My mother had similar scam. She had written a cheque for £1000 for this person. I only found out because we were at hers when a call came through asking if she had sent it yet. I made her tear it up. She explained that she had 'won' 20000 but had to send 1000 before they could release it. She hadnt even entered a competition. I phone police who forwarded me to a fraud team