Gransnet forums

Chat

Have found 'Streetlife' so useful

(102 Posts)
Takingthemick Fri 10-Feb-17 10:30:56

The Streetlife site is finishing and we are asked to move to Nextdoor. When we moved to Hampshire from Kent we found Streetlife invaluable as a source to find good trades people, hairdressers, dentist, exercise classes etc. No one on our local Streetlife seems to like Nextdoor and complain that private information is not protected. It seems crazy to get rid of such a useful web site. Apologies if no one has a clue what I'm on about.

steve144 Wed 29-Mar-23 21:45:47

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Bellanonna Sat 11-Mar-17 10:22:55

No problem so far. I have found a plumber and an electrician through the site, both living locally, both good. I'm not "bombarded" with emails, just the odd one with people looking for recommendations, or advertising a local event, jumble sale, that kind of thing. I have removed my house number. I also belong to a local closed Facebook site which warns of very local traffic problems, and items being given away. I agree about the full address thing being wrong and quickly took my road number off, but I don't mind my name being shown, which also appears in full on the closed Facebook site.

Anya Fri 10-Mar-17 17:30:30

Think out GNLocal has faded away Pittcity

Pittcity Fri 10-Mar-17 12:55:03

I hope we are all adding the details of our favourite local tradespeople to Gransnet Local and leaving reviews as recommendations for others.

Anya Fri 10-Mar-17 08:00:45

Yes, I'm happy with NextDoor. We've managed to locate a kitten that went missing for three days in Stirm Doris and return her to her child. And it seems to be a good source of finding cleaners, plumbers, someone who'll do your ironing.

You don't have to give the number you live at just your street, so I don't see the problem, unless I'm missing something.

Pittcity Fri 10-Mar-17 07:53:42

I have left Nextdoor and joined Kahuti.com. We are slowly building a local community on there. It is run in a more personal way and seems less American. I much prefer it.

Liz46 Fri 10-Mar-17 06:02:29

I liked the old Streetlife and found it very useful particularly in finding local tradesmen that others were recommending. I deleted my name and address as soon as I heard about Nextdoor as I wasn't happy about it. I do wish I had made a note of the very good plumber's phone number first though!

NanTheWiser Thu 09-Mar-17 23:17:51

I've found Nextdoor useful, Desdemona, a neighbour was looking for a Black & Decker Workmate, and I happened to have one in the garage - unused for 20 years, so it now has a new home. I was going to offer it on there anyway, so it saved me a job. I shall also use it to dispose of a lot of art magazines that I have no further need of - I'm sure they'll get snapped up.
My area is slowly gaining new members, so it would be nice if we get back to how the old Streetlife was, it was so useful, although I do understand people's reluctance to remain in the site.

rafichagran Thu 09-Mar-17 21:32:30

I blocked Streelife in the end, I was sick of of being emailed by Next Door, I certainly do not want to sign up to that.

Charleygirl Thu 09-Mar-17 21:29:51

I joined for around 48 hours, did not feel comfortable so opted out promptly. I was more than happy with StreetLife.

Desdemona Thu 09-Mar-17 21:09:00

Has anyone who has joined Nextdoor found it useful? What are your opinions?

Karanlouise Tue 21-Feb-17 13:11:59

Hello, I'm new to gransnet. I agree, I don't want to leave streetlife either. Next door doesn't feel as safe or as friendly. What a shame.

tanith Sun 19-Feb-17 19:25:41

Spangles1963 its only a problem if you don't want people to see your address because its displayed as default. You need to manage your settings to stop displaying your address in full. I don't know anyone from Streetlife who have moved over.

Spangles1963 Sun 19-Feb-17 19:20:05

Oh dear I moved over to this a few weeks ago. I didn't realise there were any security issues with it.angry I keep getting emails from them urging me to 'recruit' my neighbours as members,as apparently they are struggling to reach a total of 30 members. So doesn't strike me as being very popular.

Suki70 Sun 19-Feb-17 15:17:24

Like Tanith a lot of our very thriving Streetife group have moved over to a closed group Facebook page that one member (a policeman) started. Howver, as some Streetlifers didn't want to join Facebook, he's now looking into our all moving to a new small organisation called Kahuti, which is very similar to Streetlife but with more security and anonymity. At the moment there's no app but the owner's working on it.

anneey Sun 19-Feb-17 14:57:28

I agree Tanith....it would be easy for strangers, to find out whether you are vunerable, for example elderly or disabled. Such a pity Streetlife didn't pose this threat.

tanith Sat 18-Feb-17 17:32:29

anneey one of the reasons I'm not joining Nextdoor and that everyone in your neighbourhood can see it to plus the road you live on, not happy about that. Some of those on Streetlife in my area have started a private FB page so they continue with the Quiz team they started, none of them liked the look of Nextdoor either..

anneey Sat 18-Feb-17 17:22:15

I attempted to join NextDoor. They made me nervous when they asked me for my True name, they suspected that I gave them a made up name. The name I gave them is known to my family friends and neighbours. My official name is only used on my Passport etc. It gets confusing if I use both names. Wouldn't you be concerned if they asked for your Official name. It makes me wonder what they want it for, and who might they pass it on to.
I was happy with Streetlife, why can't they leave things as they are.

Desdemona Thu 16-Feb-17 17:22:03

I think it is a good idea to promote Gransnet Local, it might help fill the gap left by Streetlife to some extent at least.

I will visit my local Streetlife later and mention it.

Ana Mon 13-Feb-17 18:13:13

But yes, it might well work for those in other areas, although it's not very likely you'd find another couple of GN members in your own street, is it?

Ana Mon 13-Feb-17 18:11:47

I exaggerated when I said there were very few GN members in what can only very loosely be described as 'this area'. There are two that I know of (including me) and the other one lives in a different county.

Pittcity Mon 13-Feb-17 17:59:08

Yes Ana but now that everyone is disgruntled with Streetlife and Nextdoor it is a good time to spread the word and get people to register with GN local. You've got to start somewhere.

Ana Mon 13-Feb-17 17:52:04

Even when my GN local had an editor, hardly anyone visited it. There are very few GN members in this area.

Pittcity Mon 13-Feb-17 17:49:24

I agree Bluebelle and Riverwalk. This is why I think we should make better use of Gransnet Local. Anonymous like this forum but localised.

Riverwalk Mon 13-Feb-17 08:47:40

Last year on SL, due to my job, I was able to help and point in the right direction, a disabled and incontinent neighbour.

I have no idea who she was other than her first name, and doubt she would have talked about such personal matters if she were easily identifiable.