Gransnet forums

Chat

First dates !

(24 Posts)
NanKate Wed 15-Feb-17 08:12:07

On local radio last night there was a section on disastrous, amusing, unusual first dates. This example really made me laugh.

This listener phoned in to say many years ago she had been invited out for the evening from a chap who had been giving her the eye (and likewise from her) for a while. He duly arrived in his car to pick her up to take her to the cinema. All well so far. As he opened the car door she saw there was another passenger inside, his Mother shock.

The duly arrived at the cinema he bought the tickets and they settled down in the stalls his mother was in the middle and she and the prospective new beau were either side. grin This was there one and only date.

Do you have any amusing memories of dates long ago or even recently ?

ninathenana Wed 15-Feb-17 08:20:24

I've never been on a date shock
I had a couple of 'boyfriends' that I used to meet with at youth club (not at the same time smile) and who would then walk me home and kiss me goodnight.Then I met H on holiday and we would stay at each others parents houses alternate weekends until he moved the 50 miles to be near me ?
So I never had a boy 'call for me'

Chewbacca Wed 15-Feb-17 08:30:23

More than 50 years ago, I was asked out on a date by the son of my mother's friend. I knew that he worked on a farm, but not much else about him. On the evening of the date, I spent quite some time getting myself ready as the 16 year old dolly bird of the 60's those were the days! only for him to arrive still dressed in his work clothes, boots covered in farm manure and reeking to high heaven as the cinema got warmer and warmer! He had a good honest job but oh how I wished he'd had a wash and changed his boots first!

vampirequeen Wed 15-Feb-17 08:38:28

My first date after escaping was with arguably the most boring man in the entire world. He was an accountant (he said). But what was really weird was that he ran his life to a timetable. Getup at 7am. Breakfast 7.30am. Work 9-5. Arrive home 5.45pm. The list went on and on. Internet chat time 7-8pm. He stuck to his timetable no matter what so you could be mid conversation at 8pm and he'd say 'That's it. It's 8pm' and disconnect.

He also didn't have one original thought or personal opinion in his head. I'm pretty good at conversation but eventually even I ran out of things to say.

Then there was the point where he tried to act as if he was tough. He described how he would chase people for debts (he was a tiny, skinny little man)and asked if I'd like to see. I told him it was better that he didn't as I would react accordingly and the chance of him ever having children of his own would be dramatically reduced.

Fortunately at that point the prearranged escape text came through. Yay end of date.

My next date with another chap was far more interesting but that's a whole new story about when the Jezebel part of my life began grin

Rinouchka Wed 15-Feb-17 09:12:37

Would love to read about the Jezebel bit, vampirequeen!

Rinouchka Wed 15-Feb-17 09:13:12

..perhaps a new thread...my notorious past???

Teetime Wed 15-Feb-17 09:20:08

Couldn't possibly talk about that blush

gillybob Wed 15-Feb-17 10:00:26

My DGD (soon to be 11) went out on a "first date" yesterday tea time.

Her friend (also 11) asked her out for a Valentine meal at a restaurant near to where they live. His mum and my DDiL (who are close friends) were having a coffee in the room next door while the "youngsters" had their meal. I asked my DGD if they were going halves on the bill and she exclaimed "oh no grandma, he works on a Saturday as a stable hand at the farm and he's loaded". shock

vampirequeen Wed 15-Feb-17 10:07:17

Rinouchka...every woman should have a Jezebel period. I look back on it with fondness grin

harrigran Wed 15-Feb-17 10:39:43

gillybob, loved that your GD was treated to a meal by a "man" that knows how to treat a lady smile
My first date was by accident, I went on a car rally with friends as the resident gooseberry and ended up with a husband.

Riverwalk Wed 15-Feb-17 10:42:19

gilly quite right too that your DGD didn't go halves - he invited, she was his guest!

gillybob Wed 15-Feb-17 12:27:38

Exactly harrigran and Riverwalk Apparently he "sits on the top table" with my DGD too, so brains,hardworking, and charm. Who could ask for more? smile

I don't think I had a proper "first date" with my DH. I was a single parent with 2 small children. Twice married (divorced once and then widowed). Definitely not looking for man number 3. He anonymously sent me some flowers to work (we worked in the same place) and as the quietest man in the place no-one suspected it was him. He confessed eventually and the rest is history.

JackyB Wed 15-Feb-17 12:29:52

All I can remember about my first proper date was a horrible slobbery kiss. I supppose it was his first time, too!

Elrel Wed 15-Feb-17 13:32:43

When I was about 16 there was a school square dance. I wanted to go but didn't have a partner. Someone's boyfriend knew a boy at the next door boys' school who was looking for a partner too. We were duly matched up and as far as I recall everything was fine - except that I was 5' and he was 6'!
My mother (!!) fixed me up with a friend's son who was a year or two older. We hadn't met. I can't imagine what was said to him but he turned up and took me to the cinema. He was lovely, we got on well and later stood on my doorstep talking and gently snogging. Unfortunately he'd just joined the army and somehow we never met again.
Then I went out with a pleasant but unexciting boy, we had a few dates then I'd noticed someone else. To let my bf down gently, on about our 5th date I wore short socks and my school mac to the cinema and kept sucking on lollipops to put him off. I don't think he even noticed and I had to tell him about my new interest. The pleasant one is now happily retired from a successful career and living in a lovely part of the country - with, of course, his wife.
I was with the exciting one for a while but that's a long and tangled story with repercussions to this day. Sometimes I wonder how my life would have been if I'd stayed with the pleasant one! But we never know these things, do we?

grannyactivist Wed 15-Feb-17 13:56:10

My first 'date' with The Wonderful Man was an invitation to dinner at the house of my closest friends. Earlier in the week, before the dinner invitation, the WM and I had exchanged two kisses and I had told my friends about this. We arrived as two individuals, but were treated as though we were already a couple all evening - my friends had already told me that they thought we were very well suited - by the end of the evening our relationship was cemented. And the rest as they say, is history! smile
(Without that invitation to dinner I seriously doubt that we would have taken our relationship further - what a horrid thought!)

ninathenana Wed 15-Feb-17 15:00:34

Elrel my mum was 5' 1/2" dad was 6' 2"

Elrel Wed 15-Feb-17 15:59:46

Nina - 20 years later I went out for a while with someone well over 6'! Somehow heights and precise ages mattered more when I was a teenager!

Greyduster Wed 15-Feb-17 16:14:56

My very first date was a boy at school who took me to the cinema. His name was Ian. He bought me chocolates. He was nice but not very exciting so it fizzled out. He was another slobbery kisser jackyB ?. DH was a blind date (I always said he must have been blind to have fallen for me in such a big way!). I was on the rebound from a disasterous entanglement with a charismatic (aren't they all?) Irish male nurse. I wasn't sure I liked DH, but he had - still has - a lovely voice. And he was persistent!

Tizliz Wed 15-Feb-17 16:34:25

When my husband to be walked me home after our first date (he had not picked me up from home) he looked horrified 'but F lives here!' 'yes' I replied 'she's my sister, didn't you realise?' He had taken her out the previous month. Later on he confessed a liking for my other sister - but as she was only 7 at the time I didn't worry.

callgirl1 Wed 15-Feb-17 16:56:00

I wasn`t quite 16, there was a knock on the door, when I answered there was a nice looking boy there. He said "I hope you don`t mind, but I`ve seen you in the library (village one, next door but one), and I`m going into the army tomorrow, wondered if you`d take my books back for me, please?" Of course I said yes. Forgot all about it till a few weeks later, another knock on the door on a Saturday morning. Same nice boy, on leave, had borrowed his dad`s car and asked me to go into town with him to get him some new shoes. Whilst in town, he took hold of my hand. Now, I was just 16, had never been out with a boy (sad!) and quickly pulled my hand away. He looked puzzled. After he dropped me home I never heard from him again. I`ve often wondered what happened to Bill Seed, wish I hadn`t pulled my hand away.....

DanniRae Wed 15-Feb-17 17:52:20

When I was about 14 a gang of us (boys and girls) went for a walk one evening - eventually, to my delight, I found myself alone with the boy who I really liked and he started holding my hand. Oh how thrilled I felt as we walked along together then he said "Do you want to go to the pictures one evening?" "Well, I'll have to ask my mum," I replied. When I thought about my reply the next day I was mortified at how 'uncool' it had been and never gave him an answer to his request for a date. Next thing I knew he was going out with another girl from my class! How I regret not going on what would have been my first date - he was such a lovely bloke sad

Menopaws Wed 15-Feb-17 18:22:40

My first date with my husband to be ended by being driven home in his open backed land rover with grass cuttings in the back which created a vortex over our heads so I ended up covered in them, I changed gear for him all the way home too, so romantic for 18 year old!

KatyK Thu 16-Feb-17 15:59:21

When my DH used to call for me, my two younger sisters used to fight over who would answer the door to him. They would then sit with him on the sofa while he waited for me to get ready. He says now it was like a line from The Beatles 'Lovely Rita, meter maid' .....'sitting on the sofa with a sister or two' grin

Grandma2213 Fri 17-Feb-17 03:45:47

I was about 16 and went my Auntie's friend to stay (in a town I didn't know at all). This friend (Aunty E) had a step daughter my age and she was incredibly strict (even cruel) with her. One evening we were allowed to go to the fair and met a boy who took to me. Unfortunately me and my (sort of) cousin got separated and he had to take me home on the bus. I didn't know if she had got home or not so walked down the street while he waited at the end. Luckily she was waving from the bay window so I knew she was home. I told her step mum it was so crowded we lost each other and I made my own way back. We knew my Aunty E would not tell me off and luckily we had told the same story!

The next day we went out and I met the boy again, though made proper arrangements to arrive home with 'my cousin'. That was my first kiss. I went home the next day and never saw him again. He was called Malcolm.