Gransnet forums

Chat

Hotel room cups

(74 Posts)
Atqui Thu 16-Feb-17 17:30:45

In a novel I read recently , a hotel cleaner used the bathroom cloth to clean the tea cups in the room. This rather disgusting tale lead me to wonder what does happen to the cups , as I've never seen clean ones on the trolley in the corridor. I did stay in one hotel,where they provided a clean tea towel each day. Does anyone have any inside knowledge to set my mind at rest or otherwise. Am I getting OCD in my old age??

rosesarered Fri 17-Mar-17 22:58:37

Have never worried about anything in hotels and don't intend to start now.

Penstemmon Fri 17-Mar-17 22:29:33

Good job I am always respectful to people I meet no matter who they are wink

petra Fri 17-Mar-17 22:15:26

Penstemmom I've never come across the attitude you refer to but some guests can be unspeakably rude and human nature being what it is ........ I leave you to your own conclusion.

JackyB Fri 17-Mar-17 19:17:02

I'm glad this thread was revived, but I am surprised no one has mentioned the TV remotes yet. They are supposed to be the most disgusting things in the rooms. I certainly don't wash my hands before picking them up, so I expect others do even worse!

Penstemmon Fri 17-Mar-17 16:31:29

Petra no I do not know but my point is that as I have not come to any harm it is not anything I need to be seriously anxious about! Common sense tells me only to worry about real issues not imagined ones. If a place looks grimy and ill kept I would take more care..or find alternative accommodation.

Is there a hint that "lowly paid cleaners and kitchen staff" are all out seeking revenge on folks who can afford to stay in a hotel/ eat out? I have done lowly paid jobs and worked in cafes /kitchens. I saw nothing to alarm me. As a nation we have become far too over-focussed on germs! Fine in hospitals where people are particularly vulnerable but generally healthy folk need to be able to resist everyday dirt!

petra Fri 17-Mar-17 15:31:45

penstemmom Most hotels do have a good standard of hygiene, but neither you or anyone else knows what's really going on in those bathrooms and kitchens, only the lowly paid cleaners and kitchen staff who keep the whole kit and kabudle going.

Elegran Fri 17-Mar-17 15:27:08

As ever, the few bad eggs make so much stink that the good ones get lumped in with the bad publicity too.

Penstemmon Fri 17-Mar-17 15:18:02

Opps words & letters missing on my post!

This leads me to conclude that either
a) I have a very iron constitution

Penstemmon Fri 17-Mar-17 15:16:49

I have been lucky enough to stay in several hotels/b&bs/ pubs etc over my 66 years. I have never been ill whilst, or after, staying in one. This eads me to conclude that either
a) I have a very constitution or b) most hotels have high standards of hygiene

Get a grip all you over anxious "germs are everywhere" #letmeliveinabubble people!

Elegran Fri 17-Mar-17 15:07:41

I suspect your toothbrush would be safe enough if you didn't piss off the staff.

Atqui Fri 17-Mar-17 14:57:30

I've just noticed that there were lots of posts on this thread after I looked and it had dropped off the bottom ( so to speak) . I found it v. Interesting . If that makes me a sad, "precious" person so be it, but I'm taking a tea towel and hiding my toothbrush next time I stay in a hotel smile

Christinefrance Thu 23-Feb-17 10:22:02

I agree about not worrying too much about things but I do need a certain standard of cleanliness in a place where I am paying to stay. We all have our idiosyncrasies be it lavatories, sheets , pillows etc.
When I was doing B&B someone said to me, well there is no need to change the sheets if people only stay one night. I was appalled that someone would consider this acceptable.

Bellanonna Thu 23-Feb-17 09:57:13

Yuck ☹️

19patmACkay46 Thu 23-Feb-17 09:35:05

Someone who worked in hotels said if the sheets looked clean they did not bother changing em as they were always short of time.

pollyperkins Sun 19-Feb-17 17:29:19

Ah well, the aswer is obviously to be kind and considerate at a hotel or restaurant!

petra Sun 19-Feb-17 16:39:27

I can state categorically that I was working at a hotel when toothbrush was used on a toilet. The victim of this was one of the most nasty natured women you could wish to meet. It came together when she clicked her fingers at a waitress once too often and then made a nasty remark about one of our guests who had just died, who happened to be one of the sweetest people you could meet.

Ana Sun 19-Feb-17 16:20:00

Wouldn't it be easier (and safer) to wash their knickers in the bathroom basin with water heated in the kettle?

I'm a bit sceptical about that one ladycatlover!

ladycatlover Sun 19-Feb-17 16:00:34

Worst story I've heard is about staying in hotels close to airports where air stewardesses stay. They shove their knickers in the kettle to wash them.

I guess if you boil up a kettle full of water and throw it away that should get rid of any nastiness. But it does make me think twice about all things in hotel rooms!

pollyperkins Sun 19-Feb-17 15:28:17

I agree! Its not good to be too fussy. The general rule of washing hands after the loo and before eating or preparing food is sufficient. Assuming stuff is reaonably clean and not filthy that is! But disinfecting everything is not only pointless (you'll never get rid of all bacteria!) but counter productive as you need to build up immunity.

stillaliveandkicking Sun 19-Feb-17 14:51:50

As the saying goes.... "A little bit of dirt doesn't hurt" it helps us build up anti-bodies. Super bugs have only come about by people being too clean these days.

Ana Sun 19-Feb-17 13:53:06

I think the toothbrush story is one that's often trotted out as a way of getting revenge on someone - usually a partner. Can't see why hotel cleaners would do it unless you'd made an enemy of them!

pollyperkins Sun 19-Feb-17 13:49:30

I really cant believe all of this, and how paranoid some people are! I just assume everything is clean. Anyway who would use a toothbrush to clean a loo when there is a toilet brush there?! We go to hotels a lot and have never 'caught' anything so what does it matter? There are germs everywhere - you cant go worrying about it; just stick to basic hygiene ie washing hands etc.
As to using the same cloth to wash loo and washbasin - whats wrong with that? You arent going to drink out of the wash basin are you?
And we aways rinse out the kettle before using - in any case boiling water will kill any germs. Same applies to cups!
Chillax and enjoy yourself as my daughter would say.

Nebbs1 Sat 18-Feb-17 23:14:28

I wash the cups and dry with a clean t-towel every day, or if the room is close to the kitchen bring them down and wash them in the kitchen sink. All my cutlery is polished with boiling water before putting on the tables, a habit I acquired when I worked in a restaurant in the 1970s and pass on to all my staff.

Peaseblossom Sat 18-Feb-17 23:11:14

This thread has seriously put me off staying in hotels. shock I'll make sure I hide my toothbrush and wash glasses and cups in future. When I was staying in a hotel a couple of years ago for my granddaughter's christening, my younger daughter was going to be staying in the same room as me. I got there at least an hour before her and when she arrived she said either that ottoman is removed or we change rooms. I'm not staying here otherwise. It was upholstered and had stains all over it. I had noticed it and just thought I'll avoid it, but it did make me wonder what the stains were! YUK!! We changed rooms but that meant the new room was freezing cold (it was beginning of February). I had to ask for a fan heater because the radiator in the bathroom wasn't working, but the cable didn't reach that far, I wanted to warm the bathroom up before using it and would have removed the fan heater before having a bath. Not a good experience at all. Annoyingly it is the only hotel in the town (Datchet near Windsor), won't give the name of the hotel, so they have a captive audience.

Dandibelle Sat 18-Feb-17 22:40:05

Your probably right Bluebell. It's not the breath actually but more the dribbles and if someone before has a bad cold/cough. Who knows whether it can be passed on. I suppose it should be 'what the eye doesn't see the heart doesn't grieve'. Anyway I like my own pillow.
????