Gransnet forums

Chat

Excellent service for a change

(9 Posts)
tanith Sat 18-Feb-17 19:35:11

We've had real problems for the last few months with the ignition key of my car. Its getting harder and harder to remove from the ignition taking 2/3 mins of wiggling to get it out.
I googled the problem to find I wasn't the only one to have the problem and it seems we probably need a new ignition barrel and possibly new keys and door locks as the original keys wouldn't fit.
I looked at the cost and it was eye-watering and well over £500.

This morning OH was shopping near to the Nissan garage and decided to pop in and ask if they could book it in next week for them to look at it and probably tell us the worst. Well the young guy on the desk walked out to the car and took a look, said 'hang on' went back in side and came out with some kind of spray (not oil) and proceeded to spray the barrel and key, after a few sprays and wiggles the key went in and out with no sticking. Problem solved.

I'm so happy and pleased, he even said bring it back if you have any more problems and no charge..makes a change to get such good service from anybody.

grannypiper Sun 19-Feb-17 07:53:16

What fantastic service. My father broke the key in half as he pulled it out of his ignition switch leaving half inside, my DH bought a new barrel and key for £14 online and fitted it in less than 30 minutes. Whoever quoted you £500 was trying to rip you off, even when i phoned round the garages to try and get the job done that day instead of waiting on the barrel being delivered the highest quote i had was £130+vat.
Glad you got to keep your £500,now you can but a can of wd40

overthehill Sun 19-Feb-17 09:49:58

You were lucky. Our daughter and DH managed to lose 1 car key then sometime later lost the other one. This meant apparently removing a special part and the cost was £1,400. Luckily they looked at the insurance and found they had cover for the keys and insurance paid, so another win win.

Moral of the story if you lose one get a replacement straight away. If they had, the garage could have used one key to copy the other but not having either that is why it cost so much.

Auntieflo Sun 19-Feb-17 10:11:30

Tanith, I wonder if the garage lad used a graphite spray, or a silicone one. The oil ones evidently attract dust.

tanith Sun 19-Feb-17 11:04:12

I'm not sure what it was Auntieflo just glad OH took in there on the spur of the moment.
grannypiper I'm sure I could get it done cheaper but I'd prefer to take it to the dealer who does all our car servicing but as you say they are very expensive once you add in possibly new door locks as well.

TriciaF Sun 19-Feb-17 11:55:14

I think most car keys now work off some sort of computer, and if that needs replacing it's very expensive.
We had a similar problem (key didn't operate properly)with our Citroen van. Ignition worked but not door locks. The main dealer said a new computer was needed, wellover €1000, so we decided to leave it - still got a problem with locks.

stillaliveandkicking Sun 19-Feb-17 17:03:49

WD40 will do it every time smile

tanith Sun 19-Feb-17 17:34:46

stillaliveandkicking OH tried it after I'd told him not to, it didn't do a thing apart from a mess grin. But the mechanic at Nissans told him not to spray oil into it because it causes dust to stick and gunge it up eventually.

stillaliveandkicking Sun 19-Feb-17 17:36:41

Works a treat for me. Friends husband owns a garage and it works for him too grin