Gransnet forums

Chat

silver hair

(81 Posts)
nannymeryl Mon 20-Feb-17 22:50:18

so, as an old hippy type I've used Simple shampoo for years. Now I'm completely white it's not working so well (very frizzy). I've looked in my local supermarket, nothing there marketed at us silver heads (missed opportunity there I think)
what do others use?

BBbevan Wed 13-Feb-19 18:29:46

I use a shampoo bar. Currently from Lush. No plastic, and suits my fine, silver hair perfectly. Lasts ages too.

Evej Wed 13-Feb-19 13:45:30

I'm not sure why a purple silver shamoo would be any use for white hair. I tried it on my white hair and it just makes it more silver purple. I tried the provoke blonde infusion but it's too yellow, really wish I could find a shampoo that would give an ash blonde to white hair. Closest I've got is marion pearl blonde buy it's just a sachet and have to keep ordering

Karanlouise Fri 03-Mar-17 17:32:04

JanT8 could you tell me the name of the L'Oreal one, I would like to give it a try. Thanks ☺

JanT8 Fri 03-Mar-17 15:11:21

I have just tried a new (to me) L'Oreal one, no foam and no sulphates. Quite strange at first as it's like putting cream on your hair but once rinsed well hair feels lovely. I also bought the finishing, leave in product that goes with it, which can also be used on dry hair.
These products are sold as being for coloured hair but I think they'd work for anyone.

stillaliveandkicking Fri 24-Feb-17 22:06:30

grin hopefully you don't either.

MawBroon Fri 24-Feb-17 22:03:11

Who cares SAAK?

stillaliveandkicking Fri 24-Feb-17 22:01:57

oh dear maw, I'm pretty relaxed about things so don't really mind who cares or doesn't. i do however think that people who point out other threads without encompassing it within a sentence saying why could look at their postings without getting so cross?

MawBroon Fri 24-Feb-17 21:55:50

You can swing any which way you like SAAK just keep your snarky "Who cares?" attempted put downs for somebody who actually cares about your opinion.

stillaliveandkicking Fri 24-Feb-17 21:52:41

Goodness gracious me Maw. I for one don't care about previous threads. Im more in the here and now whether it's been discussed before or not. I swing the other way when someone points this out and think that is a bit of a meh myself.

MawBroon Fri 24-Feb-17 21:35:47

Hang on a minute , SAAK. I was just pointing it out after cherrytree's post of Tuesday 14.18 so there's no need to be so rude sniffy and dismissive.
Do I give a monkey's care that you use treSemme, Dove or even Pigeon's?
No , but I don't shut you up so kindly don't reply to anybody else's posts with "Who cares?"
Other members MAY wish to read shared experiences and if you don't that's fine by me.

stillaliveandkicking Fri 24-Feb-17 21:13:25

who cares whether we did or not MawBroom. that was then and this is now smile

MawBroon Fri 24-Feb-17 21:09:18

Didn't we have a whole thread on using conditioner before washing your hair?

Reverse hair washing. Tried it? | Style & beauty | Grandparents ...
This seems to be the new trend. Conditioning before shampooing is said to increase volume and make hair softer. I have stock-piled my usual ...
www.gransnet.com/.../a1228324-Reverse-hair-washing-Tried-it

stillaliveandkicking Fri 24-Feb-17 20:39:06

Always always have to use a conditioner on mine though.

watermeadow Fri 24-Feb-17 20:34:23

All shampoo is detergent, you could use washing up liquid but I've used Johnson's Baby shampoo for 35 years and it suits my hair.

stillaliveandkicking Fri 24-Feb-17 18:41:51

I tried Herbal Essence and TRESemme, they didn't work for me though. Then I found Dove anti-aging and it works a treat!

Kitspurr Fri 24-Feb-17 14:46:59

Thanks very much Cherrytree59! You could make a fortune with this idea!

manny Thu 23-Feb-17 15:07:41

When i first said I was going to stop streaking and dyeing my hair, both DDs were horrified! Turns out I was right and I've never looked back. I'm lucky that it is platinum coloured - I often hear myself described as 'blonde' which always gives me a bit of a giggle. I grew out the hair dye gradually - stripping it is too harsh. My hairdresser put in lighter and lighter streaks over time, so the process wasn't at all dramatic, by which I mean that I never felt that the change took place overnight. I'm so glad to be spared the expense in both time and money. I find that silver shampoos are too purple. My hairdresser made me stop using it on a regular basis as I was beginning to look a bit mauve! However, it's all up to the individual. My lovely mother dyed hers for years, then lost it all after chemo. It grew back strong thick, and grey. She couldn't stand it, even though it looked great, and started dyeing again. Incidentally, she went to the same hairdresser for 30 years and they shared a lot together - but the hairdresser was always 'Miss McClean' - no such familiarity as a Christian name!

cornergran Thu 23-Feb-17 13:50:43

polly. My last but one hairdresser said the same thing. She changed salons to an inconvenient location so I went to a new hairdresser in a salon used by (young!) family members. She took one look and asked why I was still colouring my hair. The cut was better, the colour grew out and I haven't looked back. We moved areas and I went to a new hairdresser with some trepidation. Her first comment was how good the natural colour, or perhaps non colour, looks. Now I know her better she tells me she often tries and fails to get clients to stop colouring their hair. We're all different, it's fine to carry on if you want to but if Its bothering you why not go to a different salon for a consultation? Get another opinion.

Iam64 Thu 23-Feb-17 13:28:12

Poly, I changed hair dresser last year, after 25 years with the same person. I only changed because the hair dresser changed careers. It's the best thing I could have done. I now have an enthusiastic and ambitious young woman. She's up to date and a good cutter/stylist. We started by using a lighter semi permanent, plus highlights so no more root problem. I've recently gone very short to allow the silver to come through. I don't know why your stylist says grey or silver isn't good with long hair, a couple of my friends look great with that look. The weekend guardian often features a model in her 70's who has gorgeous long silver hair. I'd seriously think of changing your hair dresser

J52 Thu 23-Feb-17 09:52:32

Grey or any colour hair for that matter looks good if the style is one that suits you and is well maintained. Poly, why not ask your hair dresser to put gradually lighter semi colour on? This gradually blends in the grey while the darker colour grows/ is cut out.

It will take some time, but is better than stripping the colour out.

HildaW Thu 23-Feb-17 08:50:10

Poly, speaking as one who has seen the light and changed hairdresser - I'd shop around for a new hairdresser ......one with more flexible ideas.

f77ms Thu 23-Feb-17 08:27:32

poly Your hairdresser saying she would have to strip your hair is not giving you good advice . Stripping is the harshest thing you could do and would make your hair very dry and brittle . Growing your colour out is a long process and your hair won`t look its best while you are doing it . The only thing I would suggest is doing a semi permanent home colour yourself on the roots while it is going through the worst of it ( this will wash out gradually) Why this hairdresser would say grey only looks good on short hair is strange ! Perhaps she imagines the long, grey ,straggly witchy look which you occasionally see on old women grin A well groomed long bob or tied up do can look good with the right make up . Why doesn`t you H want you to keep colouring it btw ?

Poly580 Thu 23-Feb-17 05:35:41

I am still having my hair dyed every 6-8 weeks. My hair is very dark and I don't have grey roots all over, yet. I have talked to my hairdresser about letting my hair grow out and she said she would have to strip the colour and put some tones in to blend it all. My DH doesn't wants me to keep colouring it. I have noticed my hair feels thinner when its due to be dyed and feels full again after. I use Aussie shampoo and conditioner, although I wouldn't recommend the frizz conditioner in this range as it did very little. I would stay away from all the products made by the washing up liquid companies as they are far too harsh. I believe you have to buy decent products to get decent results. I also have an under active thyroid which makes the hair thinner. There is an advert on tv at the moment and the lady has long grey hair and I think it looks lovely. When I mentioned this to my hairdresser she said grey only looks good on short hair....we all see something different eh.....

MawBroon Wed 22-Feb-17 22:22:42

MagicMaggie I remember the restaurant anecdote from a previous thread on "to dye or not to dye" /grey hair. Was it you who posted it then too?

When everybody else is "Nice and Easy" honey blonde, "in yer face" silver can be much more individualistic !!

Azie09 Wed 22-Feb-17 20:01:34

I do love GN! I knew about Touch of Silver though I haven't tried it yet but as for buying shampoo aimed at white (grey) horses or dogs! Fabulous, I can't imagine that gem turning on the fashion pages. Thank you. I shall try it. grin

p.s. I find coconut oil a nice conditioner. I rub a little on my palms and run them through my hair which makes it look shiny and gives a definite lift.