Gransnet forums

Chat

Who are your role models?

(63 Posts)
MrsPeel Wed 22-Feb-17 17:06:30

I was musing on how my role models have changed over the decades - currently are Una Stubbs, Mary Berry, Joanna Lumley and always and forever Diana Rigg.

I wonder if this will change in the coming years.

Who do you admire?

Rinouchka Thu 23-Feb-17 13:41:54

Just a quick answer to the actual title of the thread: I do not have a role model as such but there are many people whom I have admired in the past and admire now. This includes both men and women.

One of them was my DFiL, a humanist and humanitarian, judge, scholar with immense good sense, the wisdom of Solomon, intellectual as well as practical skills, and a huge capacity for affection, humour and a love of good claret! wine

sue1169 Thu 23-Feb-17 12:46:36

???........

Elegran Thu 23-Feb-17 10:56:32

You don't like men much, do you, SAAK? You are fighting the battle of the sexes, believing that unless woman are much tougher and more aggressive than men and force them to fall in line, then women have lost the fight, and that posters who prefer to work beside their men toward equality have given up and are "wiping their asses".

It could be that you have a high adrenaline level - your posts often seem very combative.

thatbags Thu 23-Feb-17 10:14:43

Haven't read the thread. Just glanced at the last few comments and decided not to bother.

But in answer to the thread title I've been thinking and I've decided my parents were my main, if not only, role models. Who needs more than good, decent people always doung their best? Fame is not important.

Jane10 Thu 23-Feb-17 10:07:59

Good heavens what happened to this thread!! Some great suggestions especially the suffragettes. I often think Emmeline Pankhurst must be spinning in her grave at the way some young women disport themselves. I get so impatient with women who don't bother to vote or even take an interest in the world beyond personal grooming and buying things. But of course I'm just an old fart. What would I know!!

MawBroon Thu 23-Feb-17 08:09:13

The name is Emmeline Pankhurst

Hopehope Thu 23-Feb-17 00:04:34

I don't quite see where cleaning the toilet fits in, but I agree that Sons should be brought up to respect women, and i made sure that was the case with mine. Not sure if he cleans the toilet or not, but my DH does, in fact he seems to have made cleaning the bathroom his domain. I have not done it for months!. I just lie low and make the best of it until he gets bored grin

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Feb-17 23:52:54

lets agree to disagree.we also digress.

Emily Pankhurst.

MawBroon Wed 22-Feb-17 23:49:17

Tosh, but each to his own.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Feb-17 23:44:20

Of course not monica, implying and covering up is of course allowed on here, sleep well.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Feb-17 23:38:12

Do you both do things equally? Do your husbands "metaphorically" clean the toilet that you both use? Or not?

Have a think about it.

M0nica Wed 22-Feb-17 23:37:37

I do not see myself as any class but what the relevance of that is I have no idea. I am even more lost after reading your last three posts stillaliveandkicking

I am off to bed, good night.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Feb-17 23:34:04

I could say "yourselves" but yet again, you know what I mean.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Feb-17 23:33:03

Do you see yourself and middle class maw and monica?

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Feb-17 23:27:18

My dad had a great saying.. did you know what i meant? of course you do!

M0nica Wed 22-Feb-17 23:21:28

Sorry stillaliveandkicking, you have completely lost me. My post was about girls being manipulated on social media. I wrote about comments DGD made about other girls in her class at school, not her social class, and before you make any more sweeping assumptions about her school, it is a state primary school drawing children equally from a local council estate and a more affluent owner-occupied housing. The school qualifies for extra help because of the number of children on free school meals. DGD's friends come from across the social spectrum.

I find it difficult to make sense of someone who can use phrases of contempt such as 'underclass' boys, yet complain if women are not treated well. Are there 'underclass' women as well in your world?

MawBroon Wed 22-Feb-17 23:18:45

"Hypercritical?" Or "hypocritical"??

MawBroon Wed 22-Feb-17 23:18:06

To answer your questions in order SAAK
Don't be silly. Yes
Yes
Yes
Now one of my own
What century do you live in and what planet do you live on? Is Central London entirely dominated by white UKIP residents?
Oh that was three questions. But you do need to get real.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Feb-17 23:14:40

Apologies OP, some people just tend to show me how hypercritical they are.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Feb-17 23:07:22

Do any of your children really associate with any other denomination? do you or your children associate with mixed race? do you associate with other races? I think not.. The average Upper class or trying to get there only associate with themselves.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Feb-17 23:02:58

Not sure what academia has to do with anything monica?

or are you saying that underclass boys disrespect girl more? when clearly it goes on no matter where you come from?

M0nica Wed 22-Feb-17 22:57:32

I didn't say I had witnessed nothing untoward, I just said I had rarely come across the levels of abnegation quoted in one or two posts. It is like sweeping statements about girls being manipulated by social media. Yes, a lot of girls are, but a lot aren't.

This evening DGD (9) was describing how she and her group of friends go to fewer birthday parties than other girls in her class because they do not to choose to hang out or around with the four girls in the class who, because they have older brothers and sisters are always boasting about going to their parties and generally acting in an over-mature manner for their age. She was not bothered by this.

It is possibly not coincidental that DGD and her friends are all in the top groups academically and that they all come from homes where the equality of all, regardless of gender, race or anything else, is taken for granted.

Jalima Wed 22-Feb-17 22:51:18

That's wonderful paddyann - your granny who is most definitely a role model and whose achievements are something to aspire to.

paddyann Wed 22-Feb-17 22:46:29

my granny who was a suffragette and one of the first women members of the Labour party,though she'll be birlling in her grave at how they are now,and my lovely dad who never took sides ,was the most tolerant of men and whose advice on many things has been with me all my life,sadly he died just before my 40th birthday so my son and grandchildren never knew him ,I miss him every day.No "famous" role models though ,I cant stand that shallow type of hero worship....

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Feb-17 22:24:24

You haven't proved any point mcem only the one in your head.