Gransnet forums

Chat

I`m not going to pass away

(146 Posts)
eddiecat78 Wed 08-Mar-17 07:49:16

Perhaps I`d better explain that this rant was inspired by a news item which referred to someone "passing".
Why has this started? Do people really think that giving death a different name makes it any easier?

So I`d just like to make it known that I am going to die (hopefully not for a while). I am not going to pass away - or pass over. And I am definitely not going to pass

NannyBadcrumble1 Wed 05-Apr-17 11:34:05

When my aunt died some years ago, my beloved grandmother (her sister) was stopped in the graveyard just after the burial for some words of condolence. The woman stated 'I'm so sorry to hear of your loss'. To which my Nan stated ''I haven't lost her, she's over there' pointing to the grave. When my time is up, I'm not going to pass, I'm going to die.....

bumblebee123 Thu 23-Mar-17 09:27:22

Fitzy, my sentiments exactly. Love your humour. smile

Fitzy54 Sun 19-Mar-17 23:34:43

Pass away, pass over, decease, die .... not for me. I've told my family it's my intention to live forever. So far, so good!

vampirequeen Sun 19-Mar-17 20:21:41

That's a new one on me but I love it lol.

bumblebee123 Sun 19-Mar-17 13:25:56

There used to be a saying in Yorkshire that someone who had died had 'shook a seven'. Anyone else heard that?

Craicon Wed 15-Mar-17 11:08:43

'Sorry for your loss' is the standard phrase used at the Wake or Removal, for a Catholic funeral, here in rural Ireland.

As a non religious person, what I find interesting is that the majority of funerals (mass followed by burial) are held 3 days after the death has occurred. No fannying about.

I don't ageee with some aspects of the Catholic faith (family plannng!) but I think they have a great way of de-mystifying death although I'm still getting used to seeing an open casket in someone's house at the wake.

Ilovecheese Mon 13-Mar-17 19:12:57

Watermeadow, I sometimes envy the certainties of those you have faith, but one either believes it or one doesn't, you can't make yourself believe.

vampirequeen Mon 13-Mar-17 19:00:55

grin

henetha Mon 13-Mar-17 10:18:01

Billy, in one of his nice new sashes
Fell in the fire and was burned to ashes.
Now, although the room grows chilly,
I haven't the heart to poke poor Billy.

Esspee Mon 13-Mar-17 07:15:56

Water meadow, I am one of those people who live happily in the knowledge that I have thrown off the shackles of superstition. Religion does not equate with certainty, it is belief which is acceptance that something is true without proof.

Cunco Mon 13-Mar-17 06:38:28

Grandma2213: Thank you for sharing your experience. I felt the same when, late in life, I had my first general anaesthetic. Nothing is not so bad, especially when compared with what some would have me believe lies in store for me. At least we won't have to worry about how our loved ones can pay the 'Passing' Tax. smile

Grandma2213 Mon 13-Mar-17 01:13:44

Cunco I did die once and was resuscitated. There was nothing. I find that very comforting.

Deedaa Sun 12-Mar-17 22:11:10

Nuts roses as far as I remember it's American.

Cunco Sun 12-Mar-17 20:44:54

watermeadow: If you don't have the certainty of religion, you live with what you have. The certainty that you are born, you live and you die.

I assume that when I die, the light will go out. I don't find that discomforting. I do find it realistic but, as with most things in the future, who knows? I don't think there is an expert I would trust to tell me what happens after I die.

watermeadow Sun 12-Mar-17 19:34:35

I'm not scared of dying, thanks to a firm faith in God. I don't know how people can live without the comfort and certainty of religion.

rosesarered Sat 11-Mar-17 20:15:18

Woody Allen...'I'm not scared of dying, I just don't want to be there when it happens.'

rosesarered Sat 11-Mar-17 20:09:13

Nuts? Nice?

Deedaa Sat 11-Mar-17 19:59:23

Actually I rather like "Fell Asleep" on a tomb stone. There's something rather peaceful about it.

Also reminds me of one of my favourite poems - can't remember the author.

Mary Anne has gone to rest,
Safe at last in Abraham's breast.
Which may be nuts for Mary Anne,
But is certainly tough on Abraham! grin

watermeadow Sat 11-Mar-17 18:53:42

"Lost" is so ambiguous and "Passed" is American. I too am going to die, afterwards I shall be dead.
I've always liked churchyards and cemeteries and have written down what I want done (burial) and what sort of gravestone (natural stone) I've told my family I'll come back and haunt them if they have me cremated or put a shiny stone with gold letters over me.
It's a pity nobody knows any hymns now as there are many I love and would like sung at my funeral.

Galen Sat 11-Mar-17 15:51:09

I want the Sanctus from Verdis requiem at my funeral as I go through the curtain, and the March of the Mods to carry me into the crem ( I wasn't allowed it at my wedding. They wouldn't let me have the triumphal march from Aida either! My father though that the vicar would ban the dancing girls and the elephants might get out of hand)

gransruleok Sat 11-Mar-17 14:59:00

What about when people refer to "losing" someone. We always say "that's careless", although not within earshot of the bereaved of course.

angelab Fri 10-Mar-17 13:18:30

I think I must be the only GNer who likes 'passed'! Somehow for me it leaves open the possibility that they have gone to another place, which may be better, and I like that idea, having no proof that it's not true..

KirbyGirl Thu 09-Mar-17 20:57:35

I like 'pop your clogs ' too.

vampirequeen Thu 09-Mar-17 12:21:50

I love euphemisms. It's not that, as a family, we can't face up to death but euphemisms soften the edges and if that helps with the grieving process or memories of the deceased then so be it.

When I lost my son I felt a genuine sense of loss. I was never going to get him back.

My dad passed away in the 1990s.

My mam has prepared for when she pops her clogs by buying a prepaid funeral and has even stipulated which hymns and music she wants. I don't think she trusts me. Perhaps it's because I suggested Fight the Good Fight (which she had at her wedding)and Roy Orbison singing It's Over as she slips through the curtains.

eddiecat78 Thu 09-Mar-17 08:03:31

We live very close to a graveyard and often walked through it when the children were little - obviously questions were asked. One day I explained that when people die their bodies are buried in the graveyard. Oh, said small son, where are their heads then?