Gransnet forums

Chat

Easter eggs

(20 Posts)
Gagagran Mon 13-Mar-17 10:39:47

What can I get our four DGC for Easter other than eggs? None of them are keen on Easter eggs - I never have been either as they always taste stale to me. I thought about making some Easter biscuits and putting them in a pretty box but that seems a bit more suitable for adults. Any suggestions Grans?

Luckygirl Mon 13-Mar-17 10:49:02

I think little ones would enjoy the biscuits - maybe in different shapes: eggs, chicks, flowers etc.

The ritual in our house is to cut a branch of forsythia, put it in a jar and hang it with decorated eggs. Maybe you could send them the ideas for making these eggs and they could hang them on their own Easter Tree.

We decorate blown eggs by wetting coloured tissue paper and plonking little torn scraps on the eggs in a random way - they will stick when they are wet - then leaving them to dry. When you peel off the dry paper there are beautiful pastel patterns on the eggs. Chip a bit of a hole in the top, tie a loop of cotton to half a matchstick; drop the matchstick into the egg via the hole and jiggle it about so it won't come out - you then have a loop of cotton for hanging it.

rosesarered Mon 13-Mar-17 10:53:22

I buy the younger DGC a present rather than an egg ( they get too many otherwise) so I simply buy them a clothes item and a book.It doesn't have to be Esater related, but I try and find a book that is if possible.

Gagagran Mon 13-Mar-17 11:07:33

I usually end up giving them a voucher or cash for Christmas and birthdays as they are of an age(15,14,12,12) to want to choose their own clothes, books etc. I would like to do something a bit more imaginative for Easter!

Christinefrance Mon 13-Mar-17 11:13:22

I always think Easter eggs are made with inferior chocolate. I gave my grandchildren a book and a large bar of chocolate when they were young.

Katek Mon 13-Mar-17 11:39:19

Have you thought of making your own eggs with good quality chocolate? There are lots of moulds available-Lakeland/Amazon etc. Couid be good fun!

Grannybags Mon 13-Mar-17 11:51:18

Luckygirl I still have some blown eggs made by my Mum in 1935. She used red onion skins and flower petals for the colour and they made really lovely swirly patterns. How they have survived several house moves and WW2 I don't know!

mcem Mon 13-Mar-17 12:01:30

I put together a treasure hunt for mine. Rhyming clues to various spots around the house where they find little gifts - some but not all Easter related. Last gift is the biggest (usually a book).

Katek Mon 13-Mar-17 12:25:16

grannybags-we used to dye hardboiled eggs in the 50's with my gran using all sorts of natural dyes, onion skins, beetroot, cold tea etc. I did the same with my children in the 70's but once the white shelled eggs started to disappear it just didn't work on the brown ones. I think farm shop eggs still have some white ones as the supermarkets don't want them-may try to find some to try and dye for dgc.

M0nica Mon 13-Mar-17 13:26:17

We buy Easter related alternatives; mugs, rabbit and chicken related articles, but as ours do love chocolate, there will always be chocolate somewhere, but not much.

My one concern about non-Easter related articles is that if this grew, gift giving at Easter would soon be on the escalator to become a second Christmas with children demanding and getting more and more expensive presents.

Luckygirl Mon 13-Mar-17 14:02:16

Some of our eggs have been decorated by gluing a fern leaf to them and then wrapping them in old tights and boiling them up - when you take the leaf off you have a pale image of it on the egg.

We too have boxes and boxes of decorated eggs that follow us from house to house. They do not go back as far as your Mum's Grannybags.

Hilltopgran Mon 13-Mar-17 15:46:18

I bought some coloured eggs online which can be used each year with a new filling for GC, and as they grow things haave change from a soft toy through lego, to now makeup for eldest.

Teetime Mon 13-Mar-17 15:51:04

MY GS gets far too many eggs and isn't keen on chocolate anyway. This year I have paid his Cricket Club subscription - £65 was quite an expensive egg!!!

grannylyn65 Mon 13-Mar-17 15:59:35

Have never and will never waste money on eggs!
Always a gift !!?

Newquay Mon 13-Mar-17 18:41:29

I've bought chocolate eggs from the Meaningful Eggs company. They're delicious eggs, a chocolate bar and-tah! Dah!-a book with the Easter story. Oh and good value too. (No I'm not on commission). Wish I could add a link but don't know how to do that. . . . No doubt someone will tell me please?

Ilovecheese Mon 13-Mar-17 19:00:44

I used to make them a stuffed rabbit for their first Easter. Then I see that one of the rabbits has been passed on to the latest grandchild so now I don't know what to do!

chelseababy Mon 13-Mar-17 20:56:39

Could you make an Easter chick?

Coolgran65 Mon 13-Mar-17 21:03:15

You will get a pattern to knit or crochet an easter chick on Amazon or eBay.
I bought little knitted chicks where you put a cream egg into the 'body'. One each for each grandchild with perhaps a book out of Asda. And that's it, quite sufficient.

Coolgran65 Mon 13-Mar-17 21:03:56

Should have said, I bought the knitted chicks off eBay for very little cost.

Cherrytree59 Mon 13-Mar-17 21:37:32

Ginger biscuits shaped as chicks & bunny rabbits & decorated with icing

We have easter egg hunt with small chocolate eggs & small chocolate animals that I make using chocolate
moulds.

Last year my 2 little DGS had a dinosaur egg each that you put in water and eventually a baby dino hatches out.

I have two yellow knitted chicks that you put a cadbury cream egg inside
They were knitted by a great aunt of mine 35 yrs ago for my DC
I still bring them out every easter

This year I have bought some giant pink bunny foot prints for the little egg hunters to follow round the garden on their easter egg hunt grin