Gransnet forums

Chat

This may raise a laugh

(11 Posts)
annsixty Wed 15-Mar-17 15:24:04

I have been sorting through a small forest of paper which my H has hoarded for many years and came across this letter which he and several colleagues received and thought it may make you smile.

The Mission
Green Lane
Salford
Manchester

Dear Friend

I do not know if you have heard of us and the valuable work we do.
We are a small group who visit pubs , clubs and meeting places to warn of the perils of drink and loose living.
We have been greatly assisted by Stanley, a poor unfortunate whose dishevelled appearance, shambling gait and incoherent speech has demonstrated to many young people the perils of persuing this kind of life.
Sadly last week Stanley was knocked down and killed while " in his cups".
Now a mutual friend has suggested to us that you may well be the ideal person to replace Stanley and help us carry on our good work.
If you feel you can help please contact the Secretary at the address above as soon as possible.
Yours sincerely.

Luckygirl Wed 15-Mar-17 15:30:04

Unbelievable!

Anniebach Wed 15-Mar-17 15:30:05

Poor Stanley

grannypiper Wed 15-Mar-17 16:13:09

Did you find a replacement amongst your work colleagues grin

gillybob Wed 15-Mar-17 16:18:19

I am assuming that being "in his cups" meant he was the worse for wear? Drunk?

Did DH do it annsixty ? Were he and his colleagues targeted for their dishevelled appearances? grin

annsixty Wed 15-Mar-17 16:19:22

And the rest!!!

morethan2 Wed 15-Mar-17 16:44:52

grin

shysal Wed 15-Mar-17 16:47:02

grin

MiniMouse Wed 15-Mar-17 16:51:40

grin

flowers for poor Stanley sad

rosesarered Wed 15-Mar-17 17:45:02

Very funny ann grin enjoyed that.My Grandad used to live next door to an old pub, he had lived there all his life, and every night went in to meet his cronies( as my Grandma called them) and have a pint or two ( never more.)One night he came back with a card, black edged, with the words
It is with great regret that I have to inform you,
The next round is yours!
His cronies obviously thought it was time he paid for a round or two.grin

Rinouchka Wed 15-Mar-17 17:55:37

Love it! One to keep.grin