Gransnet forums

Chat

Baby Wipes

(104 Posts)
Jayanna9040 Tue 21-Mar-17 22:59:17

Ok, I can't keep it to myself. Today I have seen a new v expensive product. Baby wipes for that sensitive skin. The unique selling point? They only contain water.
A bargain at £3.95 for twenty.
Or do I just not get it?

PamelaJ1 Thu 11-Jul-19 16:05:11

Sorry just read your post properly, you were talking nappy liners ? Sorry.

PamelaJ1 Thu 11-Jul-19 16:04:07

Monica- You must have missed Anita Rani’s visit to proctor and gamble and Johnson&Johnson.
Baby wipes are predominately plastic.
She turned up in a panel van with a picture of a baby on the side to challenge the companies to put the ‘ingredients’ on the packaging.
The mum in the picture was wiping the baby’s bottom with a blue plastic bag!

M0nica Thu 11-Jul-19 15:30:58

Disposable nappy liners were/are made from paper.

PamelaJ1 Thu 11-Jul-19 08:32:42

Maybe someone should start a game thread.
How many ways can we help to pollute the world with plastic wipes.?

oldgaijin Thu 11-Jul-19 08:11:24

Baby wipes are great for cleaning leather furnture.

Bathsheba Thu 11-Jul-19 08:02:38

I did just as you, M0nica, when my three were little. I also recall how useful the liners were, wrapped around a wad of cotton wool, if I was unprepared when my period arrived grin.
But in hindsight, I wonder if we were right to flush the liners down the loo? I wonder if they too were made with a high percentage of plastic?

M0nica Wed 10-Jul-19 18:34:52

I do not remember terry nappies being such a chore. I used nappy liners in the nappy, took the nappy off, flushed the liner down the loo, put the nappy in a bucket and every few days bunged it in my my twin tub and gave them a boiling wash. the twin tub spin dryer was very efficient and the nappies were almost dry when they came out of it. Put them on a tidydry over the bath with the window open and the door shut and they were dry very quickly.

If they got stained, they stayed stained until the end of the month when I would bleach them and rewash them.

I used disposables on holidays and hated them. The packets were bulky and you had to keep going out to buy more - and they were expensive. Then there was the problem of disposing of them.Yuk.

Give me terry nappies anyday.

Deedaa Wed 10-Jul-19 18:07:43

DD used reusable nappies for her two and also bought little towelling squares from the same company. They were so much more effective at cleaning bottoms than baby wipes are. They just went in the washing machine with the nappies and were used again and again.

Fennel Wed 10-Jul-19 15:36:56

This is an old thread, but Gabriella I agree with you. Babywipes are a huge part of the so-called fatbergs which are clogging our sewers.
Not to mention so called 'disposable' nappies. I know people don't put those down the toilet (at least I hope not) but they're a large part of the non-recyclable rubbish which has to be incinerated.

PamelaJ1 Wed 10-Jul-19 15:35:28

Well it’s pretty obvious on this thread why we have mountains of plastic rubbish .
Haven’t the majority of you heard that our planet is drowning in the stuff and wipes are made of plastic.
I always take wet face clothes with me when out with children. Much more efficient too.

GabriellaG54 Wed 10-Jul-19 15:06:21

Madness. Why not buy a tin of Scotch mist while you're at it.
They are devastating our planet
Do not buy.
Use a flannel or muslin cloth that you can wash and reuse innumerable times.
I jolly well hope that you do your bit to give our planet a chance.

evegreen Wed 10-Jul-19 14:19:59

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

HootyMcOwlface Fri 24-Mar-17 10:32:52

You can buy packs of dry wipes on Amazon, Age UK, and other care sites, and use your own water. 100 in a pack and they cost less than those.

thatbags Fri 24-Mar-17 08:44:46

So the virtue Thrift is now called Cheap. Nice attitude. Not.

Except when I was out and about, I used a washing-up bowl of water and washable flannels for nappy changes. So did DD. I hate baby wipes (well the water ones might be OK, but why not use a bit of rag?) because they leave me skin feeling sticky. My kids' skin didn't react too well to them either.

I think most people must have much tougher skin than I have. Perfumes and scents are hell!

NfkDumpling Fri 24-Mar-17 06:42:50

I don't know how we failed to instil the 'Look after,the Pennies' ethos into our offspring. I know I did my best, and I know mine used to. But I fear the advertisers methods are stronger.

f77ms Fri 24-Mar-17 06:03:09

My lovely DIL uses these `waterwipes` . I have to keep my mouth shut ! £2.49 for 30 shock
I would like to say why not just buy the cheaper ones and run them under the tap lol or take them out of the packet , rinse them and keep in a plastic box ! My children do laugh at my money saving antics and this would just verify that Nanny is being cheap again . Saying that I would give them my last penny if they needed it but I do struggle with being conned which is how I see `waterwipes `

Christinefrance Thu 23-Mar-17 11:47:40

Yes there is nothing like a beautiful coach built pram for comfort and space. Not so good for car travelling though.
Of course in those days we walked everywhere and it was safe to leave your pram outside a shop. No supermarkets then you could see your child from inside the shop.

NfkDumpling Thu 23-Mar-17 08:21:42

But we had proper prams in them days. Not these great padded things with scarcely room for the child and hardly space for all the paraphernalia or shopping.

Christinefrance Thu 23-Mar-17 08:01:54

Yes we needed children to be potty trained to cut down on washing - no automatic machines then, and comfort for the child, terry nappies with their pins and plastic pants were not the most comfortable. I agree there is a correlation between the child's age and ease of dealing with nappies.
I used to have a potty in the pram tray too BlueBelle.

BlueBelle Thu 23-Mar-17 07:52:16

When I had babies we were encouraged to potty train very early in fact as soon as they started crawling and walking all mine did fine and were out of nappies (apart from night time) at 15 months I can't stand to see four year olds walking around with hanging nappies and a dummy in their mouths They are not encourage to potty train early now though why I m not sure .... health visitors etc say do it later why?
I always had a potty on the shopping tray underneath the pram and a loo roll in my bag

NfkDumpling Thu 23-Mar-17 07:35:13

With modern disposable nappies and both parents busy at work it does seem that potty training has largely gone out of the window. DGS decided he was going to give up nappies at two and a half. His decision. He just copied the other children at nursery, but our neighbours little boy was about to start school before they could persuade him as he just couldn't be bothered to waste time stopping playing to go to the loo. Modern nappies are far too comfortable. You'd think the money saving incentive plus saving the environment, would encourage early training but apprentice not.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Mar-17 22:00:22

I hate pull up nappies for babies. Once training I get it but pull up nappies when you have to take everything off from the waist down to change is just ridiculous. As for wipes its just a gimmic as always. If a child is allergic to a bit of soap then use cotton wool and water (unless affording these holy water things is a great option). Otherwise any wipe will do.

Jalima Wed 22-Mar-17 19:05:59

Why is the pass-time of choice for small kids, pulling al the wipes out of the packet? Doesn't matter what else we have to play with........our younger ones just love doing that.

or all the tissues out of the pack grin
DD used to use toilet paper to make beds for her dollies and DGD just loves the tissues, the more the better.

Jalima Wed 22-Mar-17 19:04:23

I bought a pile of white flannels from TK Maxx when I was looking after the DGD and several small white towels from Ikea (19p each !)

Jalima Wed 22-Mar-17 19:02:40

allule my mother waited until I was a bit older but I was apparently clean and dry day and night by 15 months.

Even now, the sound of a running tap has me dashing for the loo hmm